ONSPLUS

General discussion about UT2004

Moderator: Admins

Skallys Avenger
Flak monkey

Re: ONSPLUS

Post by Skallys Avenger »

varia - ah ok, I just thought so because I was the only one who was saying the mod doesn't really matter. that's cool and your argument makes sense - self esteem is a good thing =P

sal - I've seen you around a couple times and have enjoyed playing with you. You seem like a pretty funny dude.

oh and thanks to rimmer and gambit (if you were talking to me). I do okay with the killing people part but I always get butchered by 10 people simultaneously whenever I try to cap. I guess I gotta figure out a way to be more sneaky...

Think that was the first time I saw ya rimmer, hope to see you around some more.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Skallys Avenger wrote:I do okay with the killing people part but I always get butchered by 10 people simultaneously whenever I try to cap. I guess I gotta figure out a way to be more sneaky...
Capping requires situational awareness which is somewhat at odds with the laserlike focus it requires to be good at hitscan. At least for me.... if I really want to be (relatively) accurate with hitscan, I lock my eye on the dot and focus on getting it right over the person which creates a kindof tunnel vision. The reverse is almost to defocus (not your vision, just the point your eye is on) and try to take in the entire battlefield. You'll start seeing holes that you could possibly run through.

Anyhow, I know you're a great player and were probably making a joke, but maybe the above is something to think about.

Remeber, people be revengin erayware
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

Variasaber wrote:Skallys, I don't think Helen was ranting at you. I think when she says "you," she means "people in general" or perhaps "people who fit the attributes that she is complaining about"
Yeah "you" its majority p, and anyways point whores will always deny new ways for points and its always someone to hate this and I dont like this, but it is what it is. And I have tested out mutator if you link one vehicle for 170 and 20 on another vehicle yes you get points. And yeah fyi I fail to make good augurments p. Why I liked math over english p.

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

Ghosted wrote:
Skallys Avenger wrote:I do okay with the killing people part but I always get butchered by 10 people simultaneously whenever I try to cap. I guess I gotta figure out a way to be more sneaky...
Capping requires situational awareness which is somewhat at odds with the laserlike focus it requires to be good at hitscan. At least for me.... if I really want to be (relatively) accurate with hitscan, I lock my eye on the dot and focus on getting it right over the person which creates a kindof tunnel vision. The reverse is almost to defocus (not your vision, just the point your eye is on) and try to take in the entire battlefield. You'll start seeing holes that you could possibly run through.

Anyhow, I know you're a great player and were probably making a joke, but maybe the above is something to think about.

Remeber, people be revengin erayware

Try without utcomp/netcode .

Skallys Avenger
Flak monkey

ghosted - my labmate showed me that picture this morning and it put me in a fantastic mood.

also your point is well taken. I think I have okay vision of what's happening from playing ons - it can get pretty hectic in there too. But you're right, sometimes I have to step back and realize that I'm getting too locked into doing one thing.

I think some of it might be that my movement is lacking, just not fast and fluid enough to avoid getting hit while running away. Also I don't use the shield defensively that well (always get hit around it) and I tend to make the wrong choices when it comes to "should I shield up and try to get away or just kill this guy quick and then make off scot free."

helen - not using netcode is also a valid point, a few people have suggested it to me over the years as a way to get around relying on hitscan. it's a possibility but in reality so many ons and vctf maps are WIDE FREAKIN OPEN so that they are totally dominated by hitscan. as in, if you don't use it yourself and you're not in a fast vehicle, you're probably dead in a second or two if you aren't shooting back. unless the other team is drunk and they don't notice you grabbing armor and sneaking by them.

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Call me a noob, but what's netcode and what does it do? :oops:
Also, how I mine for fish?

I remember when I used to just have the demo of UT, I would play Onslaught on Torlan pretty much all the time. And it was SO MINDLESS. Cap a node, cap another node, get the Raptor or the Goliath, blast shit up until someone destroys the Raptor/Goliath, repeat until enemy core is open to attack, get any vehicle, camp next to the core and shoot at it, go back and repair the node connected to the core when the other team destroys it, repeat past 3 steps until core is destroyed. And then comes Round 2.
People didn't complain if you played poorly, they just shouted "fuck fuck fuck fuck" or "rofl rofl rofl rofl" or "n***er n***er n***er n***er"
And then I got the full version and saw VCTF and I was like "FUCK YEAH LET'S ROCK 8)" and the rest is history.

So back on this mutator... I think we should definitely put it on the server if we can agree on settings for it. Personally I think 500 to heal is too high, even if you can do this between multiple vehicles; no one lasts very long on one life in this gametype. The feature that lets you call vehicle drivers for pickup sounds great, although I didn't see a checkbox for it in the Mutator Settings, and I haven't used it. I also can't figure out how to choose which side of the vehicle you get out of. Helen, do you know how to do any of this?

On the subject of hitsounds, someone mentioned that the server uses UTExtra as backup, but the hitsounds in use make it obvious that they are coming from UTComp; in UTComp, the pitch of the cowbell-ish noise (is it a cowbell?) varies based on the damage dealt by your hit, whereas with UTExtra it's the same sound but always the same pitch. Personally, I prefer the UTComp version. Can't easily change the UTExtra settings anyway, so screw it. (Also, hahaha needs more cowbell :mrgreen: )

Since it's been mentioned a few times here but not really covered, should we have a thread about teamwork and strategies and stuff?
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

rimmer59
Cock-docker

Post by rimmer59 »

Variasaber wrote:Call me a noob, but what's netcode and what does it do? :oops:
You are not a noob, you owned the demo, you are a 1/2 noob then...and what is all this stuff, I really should of payed attention in my early years of UT99 for this stuff. And what it does.

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

rimmer59 wrote:
Variasaber wrote:Call me a noob, but what's netcode and what does it do? :oops:
You are not a noob, you owned the demo, you are a 1/2 noob then...and what is all this stuff, I really should of payed attention in my early years of UT99 for this stuff. And what it does.
The first time I played both the demo and the full version was this past summer; I have not been playing for 6 years
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

Skallys Avenger
Flak monkey

netcode is basically ping compensation. it's some sort of complicated algorithm that determines where an object was when you shot at it based on your ping, the object's trajectory, and a bunch of other stuff. basically, it tries to "fix" lag issues by allowing you to aim directly at things on your screen instead of having to lead your shots.

example:
Let's say you have a ping of 200ms. you aim your lg directly at someone's head who is moving in a straight line and fire. without netcode, your shot will be a miss. you need to put your crosshair where that person will be 2/10 of a second in the future in order to register a hit. if the person is not moving in a straight line, this becomes a game of chance.

with netcode, if you aim where their head is on your screen, you get a headshot.

this is not without its downsides. sometimes people with and without lag see the game differently, which can lead to things like people with high ping being able to seemingly hit people through walls and around corners (actually what's happening is you are still visible on their screen after you ducked away because of lag). also, it sorta messes with your projectile aim. rockets and flak feel pretty different with and without netcode.

netcode comes with the utcomp mod. by default it is turned on, but you can turn it off by pressing f5 and unchecking the option "use enhanced netcode" which is hidden somewhere on that menu. if pressing f5 doesn't work for you, then type the command "mymenu" in console (without quotes).

hope that helps.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Nice explanation. So yeah, I don't think anyone is opposed to points for linking, especially if they're adjustable. The problem is the loss of netcode. As Skallys mentioned, with it on you generally hit where you aim. With it off you have to compensate for lag by leading your shots. Most of us have been playing with netcode for years and actually *can't* (won't) play without it because we're not used to compensating.

Basically turning off netcode is a non-option. If Helen or someone wanted to pull out the link portion of the mod and create a mutator with it, it would probably be put up. Should probably check before making the effort, but we were talking about it in private and everyone seemed onboard.

Definitely a good idea, though teamwork ends up coming down to individual player mindsets and linking is a tiny aspect of support. Personally I'm all for any kind of teamwork based points. As someone mentioned modern warfare does the same thing. For example it's really satisfying to get points for defending your buddies with the riot shield.

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Thanks Skallys, that was very well-explained

ONSPLUS disables netcode intentionally? Or does it make it glitch out?

Anything to support teamwork is a good idea; I propose we discuss team-based strategies, either here or in a new thread.
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Variasaber wrote:Thanks Skallys, that was very well-explained

ONSPLUS disables netcode intentionally? Or does it make it glitch out?

Anything to support teamwork is a good idea; I propose we discuss team-based strategies, either here or in a new thread.
ONSPlus and UTcomp (which netcode is a part of) don't work together, so when you try to run them both at the same time on the server, neither one loads properly.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Oh, THAT'S why the ONSPLUS mutator settings were all screwed up when I tried it; I had UTComp in there too!

Well, I guess that crushes the chances of seeing it on the server, unless someone can make a mod that serves the equivalent function, AND plays nice with UTComp.

Do we know why they interfere with each other?
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

Variasaber wrote:Oh, THAT'S why the ONSPLUS mutator settings were all screwed up when I tried it; I had UTComp in there too!

Well, I guess that crushes the chances of seeing it on the server, unless someone can make a mod that serves the equivalent function, AND plays nice with UTComp.

Do we know why they interfere with each other?
It's been known for years netcode had problems with "LINKING THE MANTA". UTCOMP and ONSPLUS can run together and yes it they bug each others menu out, but all other vehicles link fine but manta can be issue since it was always issue when utcomp was created and creators of it never cared to fix it.

If I could see scripts of utcomp and onsplus in unreal editor I would be on it to test things out and combine all mutators together like manta run assist, onsplus, utcomp mabye other little things people like for teamplay/fun, but unfortunately the scripts don't show through unreal ed therefore I cant do anything about it.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »