in the game what are you mouse settings set to ?

General discussion about UT2004

Moderator: Admins

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Re: in the game what are you mouse settings set to ?

Post by Beltamaxx »

Skallys Avenger wrote:I've always thought you should just use what is comfortable for you. I've heard a lot of different players talk about how low sensitivity rocks or high sensitivity is best. I say just pick a compromise that allows you to land shock/lg consistently without forcing you to move oafishly. Sure, try different settings out, but never use some specific setting just because someone else told you they're teh w1n.
I agree.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Beltamaxx wrote:
Skallys Avenger wrote:I've always thought you should just use what is comfortable for you. I've heard a lot of different players talk about how low sensitivity rocks or high sensitivity is best. I say just pick a compromise that allows you to land shock/lg consistently without forcing you to move oafishly. Sure, try different settings out, but never use some specific setting just because someone else told you they're teh w1n.
I agree.
Sure, but from my own experience I was playing with my sensitivity up way too high for years. Sometimes I'll accidently toggle my DPI up and I won't notice until I stop and realize my heart is beating out of my chest. Definitely go with what's comfortable, but in UT a large part of 'getting better' is adjusting settings. Ex: hide weaps, good mouse, good sensitivity, bright skins, etc.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

WeedVulture
Holy sh*t!

Post by WeedVulture »

vapor wrote:
MacLeod wrote:
Ghosted wrote:It's a function of your mouse DPI * your sensitivity. For example, someone with a sensitivity of .5 and a DPI of 5000 will have a greater overall sensitivity than someone with a sensitivity of 2 and a DPI of 500.

Things to note:

1000 DPI on one mouse is not equivalent to 1000 DPI on a different model
2000 DPI on your mouse isn't necessarily just 2 * 1000 DPI

The setup I have on my G9 is .5 @ 1000 DPI. Even though my mouse goes up to a much higher DPI, Badasp pointed out that above 1000 DPI there is a 'deadzone' on the G9 which affects your aim.
do you mean 0.50 I tryed to set the mouse sensitivity in the game to .5 and it changed it to 0.50
opens mouth.....closes....opens....pauses...walks away
set it to 0.500000000000000 that should fix it...

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

WeedVulture wrote:
vapor wrote:
MacLeod wrote:do you mean 0.50 I tryed to set the mouse sensitivity in the game to .5 and it changed it to 0.50
opens mouth.....closes....opens....pauses...walks away
set it to 0.500000000000000 that should fix it...
Wow that's a lot.

Vapor open your mouth again.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

SMR
Holy sh*t!

Post by SMR »

I use a trackball. Serious.

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

SMR wrote:I use a trackball. Serious.
You are a god
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

SMR wrote:I use a trackball. Serious.
It figures.

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

Perhaps it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the only real accurate way to compare sensitivity is to measure the distance it takes to do a 360 degree turn. Listing in-game menu parameters and mouse DPI settings is simply inaccurate due to various other factors (e.g., OS settings, mouse brand, surface, etc.) Instead, to measure mouse sensitivity, move your mouse to the far left of your pad, then move it right until your crosshair reaches its original spot. Measure the distance from the far left of the pad to the left side of your mouse. That's your sensitivity.

12 inches seems to be the norm for a lot of the top 1v1 players. 12 inches is a little too slow for me so I play around 10. This is still a lot lower sensitivity then I started out with, which was probably around 2. Then throughout the years I kept seeing how low I could go (played with 6 and 8 for a while) and wound up at 10. I even forced myself to play at 12 for a while and had some success. I did notice, however, that my LG accuracy dropped off a bit as it was much harder to make a lot of the twitch shots. As such, I increased my sensitivity a bit and improved my twitch aim while keeping it low enough to accurately track targets.

As to what sensitivity to use, use the setting that allows you to acquire and track targets through your crosshair. You always want to see your crosshair first and then your target. Most people, including myself, make the mistake of looking at your target and then trying to bring the crosshair onto it. Such aiming devolves into mere twitch shots that rely not on targeting but on reflexes. Instead, look at your crosshair first, then as you are looking at it bring it onto your target. When the target and crosshair intersect, click. This is easier said than done as it seems our brains always try to revert back to the aforementioned method of aiming. Avoid that bad habit and your aiming will be easier and more successful.

mudpuppet
Holy sh*t!

Post by mudpuppet »

....that is all

Halibar
Flak monkey

Post by Halibar »

As u said badasp easier said then done. I changed my crosshairs colour and size with that in mind but get a little excited and d wammo trigger happy Joe! Who ain't got the gun flow. Do u like that rhyming Mofo or do I gotta go........and I agree wardad ..vapor keep mouth closed on this one
Hadleigh.;-\

!nfo.
Goo sniper

Post by !nfo. »

Going along on the aiming topic. I have learned that if I take the time to watch players of different skill levels as I play I can get an idea of where they are going to be. After a while of doing this the predicting becomes a lot easier. When I finally got it down I can say my aim improved close to 10% on both shock and lg. It allows you to be able to preset your cross hairs when fighting so that you do not have to move as frantically when tracking in 1v1s/1v2s.

Also if you really pay attention you will be able to know who would like to run flag high, who likes to run low, left, and even right. This all comes from really knowing who you are chasing/look for. That being said here is my example, I know that Bezim likes to do running side dodges to the left more than he does right. I also know that he is going to be as high up on a map as he can be so that alone helps me narrow down my search. I'm not going to ruin this for him anymore than I just did, this is just an example. I also not really give away his most predictable traits because then it will be harder for me when I actually play :). Love you Bezim.

But by taking the time to watch players you can really start to see patterns and it makes aiming and finding flag carriers easier for me. Sorry about the tangent I went on.
Masterbation is like procrastination, you only end up screwing yourself.

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

!nfo. wrote:Going along on the aiming topic. I have learned that if I take the time to watch players of different skill levels as I play I can get an idea of where they are going to be. After a while of doing this the predicting becomes a lot easier. When I finally got it down I can say my aim improved close to 10% on both shock and lg. It allows you to be able to preset your cross hairs when fighting so that you do not have to move as frantically when tracking in 1v1s/1v2s.

Also if you really pay attention you will be able to know who would like to run flag high, who likes to run low, left, and even right. This all comes from really knowing who you are chasing/look for. That being said here is my example, I know that Bezim likes to do running side dodges to the left more than he does right. I also know that he is going to be as high up on a map as he can be so that alone helps me narrow down my search. I'm not going to ruin this for him anymore than I just did, this is just an example. I also not really give away his most predictable traits because then it will be harder for me when I actually play :). Love you Bezim.

But by taking the time to watch players you can really start to see patterns and it makes aiming and finding flag carriers easier for me. Sorry about the tangent I went on.
So true, every player has his own habits/routines. Like my 1st clan picked a DMer to captain VCTF, he was clueless about VCTF players and eventually I took over the team for this same reason.

Koga-ACDC

Post by Koga-ACDC »

I have mine at 4.0 who aims lol i just spam and rocket charge....i come back to life everytime lol. I prefer to be able to 360 with little mouse movement. just means i suck at LG and Shock unless i am still.

oh and its great for running with GOO....Bukkake is my favorite achievement in Tam

rimmer59
Cock-docker

Post by rimmer59 »

I have a USB mouse where you can ajust the sensitivity by pressing "-" or "+" on the mouse itself...

!nfo.
Goo sniper

Post by !nfo. »

rimmer59 wrote:I have a USB mouse where you can ajust the sensitivity by pressing "-" or "+" on the mouse itself...
I have that too. I have them bound to different key so that I can use them to talk in vent/mumble and game. It also keeps me from changing it in the middle of a match. The only down side is its hard to talk at the same time I'm clicking faces seeing how I use my pointer finger for both.
Masterbation is like procrastination, you only end up screwing yourself.