Great players...

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

$lacker
Killing Spree

Re: Great players...

Post by $lacker »

WeedVulture wrote:
$lacker wrote:net in vctf is bullshit, you win by scoring flags. Everything else is arbitrary. Some dude might kill you 20 times in a game and you might never get a shot in on him. but if you beat him for a flag cap 2 or 3 times hes the sucker

also every gun can be useful.

If a manta is trying to spawn camp you it can be repelled easily with some practice by using AR grenades. Charge them up all the way and let the manta come straight at you, let one fly right before its about to run you over (disclaimer: this is really hard to do if you are experiencing some lag). I would almost go as far to suggest to never use the AR primary fire in vctf unless youre positive that the person youre shooting at is very low on HP (dual AR primary is decent).

The bio rifle does kind of suck for vctf but its good for clogging up choke points on some maps and you can put a big hurt on some vehicles with the supercharged glob.

If you dont use the sniper rifle you have problems.... seriously. The fact that it's one of the few weapons that doesnt broadcast your position to everyone on the map while still being capable of a one shot kill makes it incredibly valuable. People underestimate the advantage of stealth in vctf.

The grenade launcher is amazing in specific situations, such as manta run defense or booby trapping the enemy tank. In close quarters try to bounce a few on the ground towards your opponent to trap him and then set them all off to put a big hurt on him.

It is extremely important to be at least serviceable with the shock rifle though, otherwise mantas and raptors will eat you alive. For a new player starting at vctf the best advice i can give is to practice as much as you can with the shock rifle because there's a million ways it can save your ass. That does NOT mean that you should be a shock monkey like some players, using the weapon almost exclusively, because you will find that you come up far short against any player that actually knows what hes doing and how to counter a shock monkey.

Nobody uses the shield gun enough in vctf (at least since the last time i played), especially on offense. If you're trying to move quickly through the map with the other team's flag you shouldn't be shooting at anyone anyways, let the rest of your team cover you (call them names on voice chat if they dont). One strategy that i always found to be very effective, especially when being pursued, is to dodge backwards towards your flag/base while pointing the shield back towards where you came from. It sounds simple but it requires good knowledge of the map to not get caught on a wall or anything, and it will make it extremely hard for the other team to kill you with anything barring a manta/raptor/tank especially if you have cover fire (again make sure to scream at your team on voice chat if they arent covering you when you have the flag, using plenty of expletives).

Someday im gonna write a comprehensive guide on 2k4 vctf strategy just for the fun of it and to relive those good times.... maybe
stfu n00b.
shutup drunky (i think... i dont know who anybody is anymore)

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

$lacker wrote:
WeedVulture wrote:
$lacker wrote:net in vctf is bullshit, you win by scoring flags. Everything else is arbitrary. Some dude might kill you 20 times in a game and you might never get a shot in on him. but if you beat him for a flag cap 2 or 3 times hes the sucker

also every gun can be useful.

If a manta is trying to spawn camp you it can be repelled easily with some practice by using AR grenades. Charge them up all the way and let the manta come straight at you, let one fly right before its about to run you over (disclaimer: this is really hard to do if you are experiencing some lag). I would almost go as far to suggest to never use the AR primary fire in vctf unless youre positive that the person youre shooting at is very low on HP (dual AR primary is decent).

The bio rifle does kind of suck for vctf but its good for clogging up choke points on some maps and you can put a big hurt on some vehicles with the supercharged glob.

If you dont use the sniper rifle you have problems.... seriously. The fact that it's one of the few weapons that doesnt broadcast your position to everyone on the map while still being capable of a one shot kill makes it incredibly valuable. People underestimate the advantage of stealth in vctf.

The grenade launcher is amazing in specific situations, such as manta run defense or booby trapping the enemy tank. In close quarters try to bounce a few on the ground towards your opponent to trap him and then set them all off to put a big hurt on him.

It is extremely important to be at least serviceable with the shock rifle though, otherwise mantas and raptors will eat you alive. For a new player starting at vctf the best advice i can give is to practice as much as you can with the shock rifle because there's a million ways it can save your ass. That does NOT mean that you should be a shock monkey like some players, using the weapon almost exclusively, because you will find that you come up far short against any player that actually knows what hes doing and how to counter a shock monkey.

Nobody uses the shield gun enough in vctf (at least since the last time i played), especially on offense. If you're trying to move quickly through the map with the other team's flag you shouldn't be shooting at anyone anyways, let the rest of your team cover you (call them names on voice chat if they dont). One strategy that i always found to be very effective, especially when being pursued, is to dodge backwards towards your flag/base while pointing the shield back towards where you came from. It sounds simple but it requires good knowledge of the map to not get caught on a wall or anything, and it will make it extremely hard for the other team to kill you with anything barring a manta/raptor/tank especially if you have cover fire (again make sure to scream at your team on voice chat if they arent covering you when you have the flag, using plenty of expletives).

Someday im gonna write a comprehensive guide on 2k4 vctf strategy just for the fun of it and to relive those good times.... maybe
stfu n00b.
shutup drunky (i think... i dont know who anybody is anymore)
He's da drunk alright...amongst other things. S'up $lacker

$lacker
Killing Spree

Post by $lacker »

Not much dude, staying busy. anybody still rocking the bic tag these days?

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

$lacker wrote:Not much dude, staying busy. anybody still rocking the bic tag these days?

Every now and then...yes, including me. I haven't seen Silver Surfer in ages by the way. He just p[opped in my head.

And there is one other drunken person that puts it on we he gets the itch. :?

SMR
Holy sh*t!

Post by SMR »

Im personally an Old school niners fan.
Early 90's. Montana, Rice, Haley, Young

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

How in the hell is this thread still active?
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Variasaber wrote:How in the hell is this thread still active?

$lacker doesn't log on very often...he phades in and out of what us humans call consciousness.

Don't anger the demon dude...

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

My question how come vehicles isnt underlined!!!!
Variasaber wrote:I was going through my screenshots the other day, and in addition to seeing that I forgot that I changed the settings to take a screenshot at the end of every Instant Action match (anyone know how to change that?), I came across 10 screenshots taken by accident during a match on the server (idk how this happened).

One of them in particular caught my eye, and I edited it to show why.

Do you catch my drift?

Discuss.

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

I haven't seen an issue with vehicles. The manta has its own sub-gametype practically, the raptor is a key feature of many maps, the goliath is, of course, very popular, everyone drives a hellbender once in a while, I use scorpions all the time and usually encounter someone on the other team driving one too. Even the cicada sees some action occasionally.
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber