VCTF-Rockwell Beta

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

Whoever
Rocket spammer

VCTF-Rockwell Beta

Post by Whoever »

Rockwell is a medium-sized city map with manta-running, foot running, and escape scorpion options. Still in beta, layout and pathing are complete, textures will probably be redone in the future. In the meantime, all feedback is appreciated.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?4hkszik5z6b

The flag is in a small depression. You can manta run, but you have to press down and angle your wing in there just right to grab it.

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-Rockwell Beta

Post by WarDad71 »

Cool, gonna check it out now. (apologies for the 80's flashback I just had with the title name :P )

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aD21JDMp86c&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aD21JDMp86c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I put this on the server this morning... LOL Wardad!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

Positives:
Lots of room - good for full server

Vehicles DO serve a purpose on the map - not just there for filler to call it "Vctf"

Many routes to take when flag running on foot

Manta runs are possible but ONLY by grabbing flag on foot then jumping on manta in safe spot (if you can grab on manta with rider - I was unable to on my POS machine) - could care less about the manta grabbing part though - makes for more communication/teamwork :D

Trivial:
At first it felt like Badblood's Cityblock but after a couple minutes into gameplay that "feel" quickly goes away

Can't wait to play this map on CTC

Great work, Crossier 8)

Whoever
Rocket spammer

Post by Whoever »

Thanks for the post, it's morale-improving.

You definitely can manta run on the map, however. You just have to do it a little differently than normal. Position the manta directly above the flag, as high as you can get (usually by jumping off a nearby building). Hold crouch to accellerate down, and hit your wing on the edge of the depression. This will tilt the manta and get the rider low enough to grab it.

Having manta runs the normal way would be too easy, anyone could grab and get to cover immediately. This was my solution for keeping manta runs possible, but requiring a little more effort.

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

WD
Badblood's Cityblock
I had the same feelings at first.

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

i liked the lots of nooks and cranny's for foot runners. I thught it was pretty cool, but I only got to play for like 5 mins on it.
No...

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Was a Fun Map.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

«ßîc»EJ`
Dominating

Post by «ßîc»EJ` »

havent played it yet, hopefully tonight.

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

WarDad71 wrote: At first it felt like Badblood's Cityblock but after a couple minutes into gameplay that "feel" quickly goes away
Nah, definitely not cityblock... which is horrible in comparison. Sorry blood.
This map along with the other new ones this anonymous submitter has posted need a lot of work. The scorps and tanks feel useless (maybe place the tank somewhere else and have boosters for scorps?). And what's up with that little hole behind the flag? Almost looks like a glitch. There's just no way anyone is gonna get out alive if there are enough people. This map is too big for few people so that escape makes no sense. Other than that great map. My ¢2.
loving this clan run by morans!

CTC-PapaSmurf
Holy sh*t!

Post by CTC-PapaSmurf »

I think the map is great. We played it again tonight. It is quickly becoming one of my favs. I agree with JimRimya though, there needs to be more lightning guns. I really love what you did with the manta hole. I think we need to do that with all maps. yah I said it. Screw u Vapor! lol
You just got knocked the smurf out!

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

I think Cross is looking for specific feedback - E.G. if something isn't liked, maybe make a suggestion on how to improve it's placement etc.

I'd have to disagree about the tank - it's purpose is to defend the flag - we tried grabbing many times the other day with eagleeye in the tank and he was hitting people all over the place - so maybe it's just the person who is in the tank that makes the difference. Gotta take the tank out if a decent defender is in it before grabbing the flag.

Boosters might be a good idea for the scorpion escape.

Hole behind the flag is for the runner who may feel like he is SOL and has at least a small attempt at running - can go either right or left from the back area for possible escape. If it can be reworked - no idea comes to mind at the moment. (bigger hole to jump in? dunno)

LG is on the map somewhere (haven't found it yet) - but usually mappers put 1 LG in so the map doesn't become a HS map where everyone is just standing around waiting on DD to spawn and sniping (Basically? :P )

I'm going to give the map some more gameplay time and try to add some positive feedback - as it stands now, the map has a lot of potential to be another hit on the server for the more challenging type of players.
Last edited by WarDad71 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

I just didnt like how the Bender can sit right on the flag, and you can't knock it off (like in space fort, or most maps) because its in the ground, but i guess thats just more of the challenge.
No...

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

This is a great map for a full server. Since I only played it once I can only suggest some more texture variation to give spaces unique identity. There is something nice about spawning and knowing exactly where you are in the map. Good flow.

Excellent job methinks.

Whoever
Rocket spammer

Post by Whoever »

v0idNull wrote: The scorps and tanks feel useless (maybe place the tank somewhere else and have boosters for scorps?).
Scorpions: I don't know what you expect out of them, scorpions are always useless. On a full server, half the players won't get the good vehicles, so the scorpions are there simply for faster transportation. There's a lot of them so you don't have to worry about throwing them away or getting stolen.

Tank: Wardad spelled it out, the tank's job is defense only. I put the fence around it because in testing, people would drive off the roof and get it stuck. I'm open to adding a ramp and letting it free for the final version.

Paladin: It seems useless, but it can be a game-decider like in Redrooms if handled properly. You can take the paladin up through the center route and drive it onto the enemy flag platform. With the shield up, your team will have plenty of time to grab the flag even when their tank is active.
There's just no way anyone is gonna get out alive. And what's up with that little hole behind the flag? Almost looks like a glitch.
This is why I resisted putting lightning in every locker. The map and especially the flag area is too wide open for 8 defenders with sniper.

That hole is the escape tunnel, and it will lead forward as well as back for the final.

Looking at UTStats, all matches have went close to the time limit so far, so I'll be making capturing easier when the map is complete. Maybe put the flag on a flat surface and make normal manta runs possible. Also adding some more cover on the foot runner's routes.
I just didnt like how the Bender can sit right on the flag, and you can't knock it off
Triple rockets from the side seems to always work for me. And if not, there's 2 painters on the roofs that foot players can reach.
Since I only played it once I can only suggest some more texture variation to give spaces unique identity.
The textures will get a coat of polish on them and you'll definitely know where you are at-a-glance.