My First Real UT3 Experience

General discussion about UT3

Moderator: Admins

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

My First Real UT3 Experience

Post by Mr Bean »

I recently upgraded my pc to where I can finally play UT3. Not to mention my fps in UT2k4 have more than doubled. This is what I thought...

Unreal Engine 3: Without a doubt, this new engine is down right awesome. The in-game experience of detailed graphics, lighting, and animation is fitting to it's name.

Vehicles: The handling is kinda wierd. Good traction, but hard to control. It may just need some getting used to. Tricks that were aquired in UT2k4 no longer apply here. No more mata runs :( You can teather onto a vehicle from a hoverboard, but not as good. I'm not a real fan of the new vehicles. The classics are fine for me.

Movement: Definitely the real flaw of this installment. Has a sluggish feel to it. I'm not positive, but the feel to move slower, and not jump as high. While I can still double jump, and dodge... dodge-jumping is taken away. I'm not a great UT player, but movement is one of my strengths so this was a heart breaker. I would like to note however that there is a "matrix mod" available that makes dodge-jumping possible (along with a few other cool movements). I played for a few hours last night on a server with this mod and had a lot of fun.

I'm so used to the UT2k4 style of play, I just can't let go. But that doesn't mean I'm not having fun with UT3 either. For me, the matrix mod is a must. I have the recent patch and Titan pack installed: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1508. I'll do Jim's mini tweak guide later today: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40. It's not the actual game engine that wasn't thought through, but the game itself. It could have been better, but is still good IMO. My user ID is: MrBean71

bradly-james

Re: My First Real UT3 Experience

Post by bradly-james »

I didn't really like UT3 that much... It does have better graphics and a few minor changes but other than that it is the same game.. I was hoping for something a little different than the previous one..

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Yep, same complaints here... The engine is great and the game looks awesome, but I can't stand the vehicles and the 'heavy' movement.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

CTC-PapaSmurf
Holy sh*t!

Post by CTC-PapaSmurf »

Oooohh.. Ghosted is gonna be mad... lol
You just got knocked the smurf out!

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »

The problem with UT3 remains reamains the same, Vehicles and movement seemed slow and heavy which is a complete turn around from ut2004. The game play is completly different as well, not only did they fuck ons in the face when they made it warfare but the tam and vctf are sluggish and not fast paced.

For me graphics i could care less about since i put everything to the lowest setting anyway, the problem is that ut3 is as dead and bad as voids aim. there are only 6-7 active teams on the war ladder and 5-6 active vctf teams on the ladder. (fragged nations is the only active ladder that im aware of, TWL and UGL are not running ladders)

Why play a game that only 609 players play "http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/" even ut2004 has more people lplaying it then ut3

It just a fucking waste of time, no competitve community, very few good servers and not that many players. not to mention the total waste in gameplay

ok im done now

heh

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

badasp and I were on the private last night talking about the differences. Another characteristic we prefer to UT2k4 is the crisp graphics. While not as detailed and realistic, things stand out. UT3 looks more realistic, but everything kind of blends together. badasp mentioned that he likes his video game to look like a video game. I agree.

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »

unfortunetly there are a few games out there that look like a "video game" as the years go by the more realistic games will get

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

Mr Bean wrote:badasp and I were on the private last night talking about the differences. Another characteristic we prefer to UT2k4 is the crisp graphics. While not as detailed and realistic, things stand out. UT3 looks more realistic, but everything kind of blends together. badasp mentioned that he likes his video game to look like a video game. I agree.
Well unfortunately, the only way to be competitive in ut3 is to picmip.

ie. Image

Gross, right? Now, why you would give up all the sexy stuff to compete in a game with bad movement, balance, and overall flow is beyond me.

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »

why playing ut3 in the first place is beyond me

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Hey Bean. I started my own UT3 server about a month ago to see if I could make it play more like 2k4(just look for ghosted in the server list). You'd probably like it. I fixed a number of things and will probably be modding it for a while.

- Movement: you move like 2k4. Run faster, jump higher and you can dodge jump.
- Vehicles: I've replaced a number of vehicles with better ones and have modded a couple others myself. You can now carry flags in ground vehicles. I'm working on getting manta runs going. I just found out how to make mantas ridable and I found the other spot in the code that's stopping players from picking the flag up while they are riding. I will be working on the squirreliness on some of the other vehicles next, though some of that is addressed with the vehicle replacements.
- My server probably has one of the most comprehensive VCTF map lists. There are around 50 custom maps up right now, about a dosen of those are UT2K4 conversions.
- I also added a modified hoverboard where you don't wipe out when you get hit. It's also faster, jumps higher and can boost if you double tap forward.

After the vehicle changes I'll probably start messing with the weapons. The shock rifle in particular seems off to me.

Have fun and FU Papa
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

CTC-PapaSmurf
Holy sh*t!

Post by CTC-PapaSmurf »

Ghosted wrote:Hey Bean. I started my own UT3 server about a month ago to see if I could make it play more like 2k4(just look for ghosted in the server list). You'd probably like it. I fixed a number of things and will probably be modding it for a while.

- Movement: you move like 2k4. Run faster, jump higher and you can dodge jump.
- Vehicles: I've replaced a number of vehicles with better ones and have modded a couple others myself. You can now carry flags in ground vehicles. I'm working on getting manta runs going. I just found out how to make mantas ridable and I found the other spot in the code that's stopping players from picking the flag up while they are riding. I will be working on the squirreliness on some of the other vehicles next, though some of that is addressed with the vehicle replacements.
- My server probably has one of the most comprehensive VCTF map lists. There are around 50 custom maps up right now, about a dosen of those are UT2K4 conversions.
- I also added a modified hoverboard where you don't wipe out when you get hit. It's also faster, jumps higher and can boost if you double tap forward.

After the vehicle changes I'll probably start messing with the weapons. The shock rifle in particular seems off to me.

Have fun and FU Papa

In all seriousness.. Ghosted has done a great job with this server. We have had quite a few fun nights there. Really some of the changes he has made are really beneficial to the gameplay. Right now the major issue is with the amount of people playing the game.

I figured as the price of UT3 would drop, more and more lower income gamers would purchase. With an influx of new gamers, I was really hoping the modding community would take off. Although great numbers have yet to be seen, with more and more individuals like Ghosted, we may see a more playable game yet.

Obviously UT3 is not a replacement for UT2004.. However, it does provide a nice little get away every once and a while. I have genuinely had some fun playing it, and especially more so with a newer PC. I fear the main holdback will be just that, older hardware that runs UT2004 flawlessly, but UT3 not so much.

Keep up the great work Ghosted. Progress has to start somewhere. Let's get a UT3 night put together. I bet there are more players with UT3 than we think.

Peace out and FU Ghosted.
You just got knocked the smurf out!

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

Aw, you guys are cute together. :lol:

lil Sin
Holy sh*t!

Post by lil Sin »

Linkon wrote:why playing ut3 in the first place is beyond me