Ghosted's UT3 server - UT3 VCTF FIXED

General discussion about UT3

Moderator: Admins

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Ghosted's UT3 server - UT3 VCTF FIXED

Post by Ghosted »

I've had a number of people asking for info about my server. Here it is (also in my sig btw):

Game Server:
Ghosted's UT32K4 Server - Now with manta runs
IP Address:
Port:

I've zipped up most of the maps and placed them here:
http://www.ctclan.us/utfiles/ut3/packs/

I recommend downloading these as the maps are rather large (like 10x an equivalent 2K4 map).

What follows is an epic post, which can be summarized as 'Ghosted's server fixes UT3, go install it now'. If you aren't satisfied with that, read on (or don't).

You might be saying at this point, "But why Ghosted? Why would I play UT3? It is known to suck and generally be an inferior experience."

To which I would reply, "Yes, you're right, but why does it suck?" Here's why [imo]:

- Movement: Your movement is gimped in the default game. I've changed the movement to be almost exactly like 2K4. [Fixed]

- VCTF: Can't do manta runs, can't run the flag in ground vehicles. Yah, but on my server you *can* do manta (and viper ;) ) runs and you *can* carry the flag in vehicles. Most of this is custom stuff I modded. I'll probably throw a mutator on the epic forums sometime soon.[Fixed]

- Stock content is boring: There's only like 6 stock VCTF maps. I've added about 50, a dozen or so of which are 2K4 conversions. [Fixed]

- Vehicles play weird: I've partially fixed this and 'finishing' fixing up vehicles is next on my list. The hellbender now has a charge beem and isn't so squirrely. I've replaced several vehicles with vehicles from Snarf's vehicle pack where I thought the snarf vehicles were more fun. If you have feedback on a particular vehicle (ex. 'scorpian' is to squirrely) just shoot me a PM. I will most likely fix it if it makes it more like 2K4. [Mostly Fixed imo, ongoing]

- Hoverboard could be cool, but fails hard: Don't know why epic thought it was a good idea to make it so you ragdoll (fall down helplessly) when you get hit on the main mode of transportation, but you do. I modded Snarf's 'trickboard' into the 'sickboard' (stupid name I know...). This board goes faster, jumps higher and can boost if you double tap forward. The outcome here is that you can basically hoverboard all over levels, which is fun. Also, you won't ragdoll if hit (unless you are boosting). It is definitely fun to use. There's an option on my server to play without hoverboards as well if you don't like them in general. [Fixed]

- Graphics are too blury/dark/Runs like shit on my machine: Turn off bloom. Graphics aren't blurry and you probably just got 10+ fps back. I haven't noticed the game behing too dark since I turned up my brightness. Also turn off foliage and vsync if you're still having probs. [Easily Fixed client side]

- Not enough people play. Yup it's true. Add to that, not enough *good* people play. I'd say when I'm on there's generally a 50% chance that I'll have a few other random people on with me, but they usually aren't super great. Also, I haven't ever seen greater than 5 on 5 on my server. The good news here is that most of the people from who've played on my server have liked it. I don't think there would be a problem initially getting 10+ folks on if we set aside a night. Also, I've had several people actively asking me for server info. NBS seems interested (Iceman, Flak, Ruff, et al), so I think if things are timed right, the server could become fairly popular. [Not Fixed, reason for this post]

I think the above are the major issues. The only issue left is people playing, which has been less of an issue over time. Again, pretty much everyone who has played has said they liked it because it plays alot more like 2K4. That said I don't see this as a replacement for 2K4 as nuch as something else to do when people get bored (like carball/trials/etc). I will be setting up a night sometime soon for anyone interested, hope to see you there :mrgreen:

Upcoming mods (soon):

- Camera zooming on vehicles
- Behindview
- Vehicle tweaks. Fix driving. Make them movable with weapons like in 2K4.
- Weapon tweaks. Mainly figure out why the shock rifle feels different.
- Gametypes: TAM/FreezeTag, RPG Invasion

Possible upcoming mods:

- Adrenaline
- Replace spider mines with evil teddy bears that eat your face while shooting rainbows and unicorns in your eyes. I'm serious, I actually have an artist on board for this :)
- Vehicle stunts
- Hoverboard trials/racing (PM me if you're a mapper interested in this)

Feel free to PM me with any requests/issues or mail me at ghostedadmin[at]gmail[dot]com

Peace,
Ghosted
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ghosted's UT3 server - UT3 VCTF FIXED

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Sounds good, Ghosted! I can vouch for all of this as I played on the server a couple nights ago. Badasp and I actually did a UT3 manta run! I tried and I can't drive those things at all in UT3...

So here's my question, ghosted: i've downloaded the maps so where do I put them?
"The abyss gazes also into you"

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Re: Ghosted's UT3 server - UT3 VCTF FIXED

Post by Ghosted »

You put the maps here:
My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Maps

I responded to one one of Sin's posts with the map/patch info as well:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1762
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1