Shocked//##1

General discussion about UT3

Moderator: Admins

actipper
Flak monkey

Shocked//##1

Post by actipper »

I got a copy of UT3 today (whatdyamean i'm a bit late ;) ). It cost me less than £5 and i was curious to see what this new engine could do, and if my kit could make the game look decent. I had read a bit about the game here and on other forums so I knew there were likely to be problems.
I had already downloaded the No 5 patch along with Titan pack and a couple of maps and player models i liked the look of.
I installed the bare retail game first. What a f*****g mess. I couldn't even get the game to run; pixels the size of acid tabs all over the screen, couldn't read any of the options boxes, couldn't change any of the settings. Epic piss take in fact. I find it hard to believe anyone persevered with the game when it first got punted on to the shelves.
I applied the patch. Ohhh, there were menues and settings after all. A bit of tweaking on the gfx card and some time spent fiddling with the in settings and I was playing.
It's not bad. I can see why the UT2004 stalwarts aren't impressed, the half quake half GOW feel of the game just isn't Unreal. It is pretty though and some of the maps are real eye openers.
Great I thought, I'll get some of this custom stuff on. They're having a larf! You need an A to Z route map to find anything and then i couldn't work out after opening file after file in the custom downloads where anything went.
Not to put too finer point on it I fucked up big time when I slid a custom ini file into the main game ini folder. Crash!! more like I had sprayed the hard drive with liquid nitrogen! 3hours later having uninstalled the game., hunted down the leftover files that seemed to have been spread like confetti on the hard drive, reinstalled my sound drivers which had packed their bags and pissed off back to Realtec at the first sign of trouble and stopped my usually stable geforce 9800gt from trying to make celcius to kelvin temerature conversions, I started desperately looking for advice on the net.
http://www.fragonsight.com/forum/fos-wi ... -maps.html
http://servers.dvts.org/ut3/installation/#NOTDVTMAPS
These pages should come with the game.
I've been playing for a few hours now in Instant Action and The Mission with the odd break while i tweak the graphics overclocker. I'm still not sure where to put some of the files that down load with Mods and Models in particular.
Is it worth a fiver (£5)? Yeah, the games growing on me. Is it as good as UT2004? I dont think so.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shocked//##1

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I had a lot of gripes about this game too, one of which was how additional content was stored. It is so confusing as to where everything should go.

Have you visited Ghosted UT3 server? It's in my sig below, the third one down. Check it out. He's done a great job at making UT3 feel like ut2k4. You'll have a lot of downloads the first time you connect, but it is worth the wait.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

This post/link explains the new filing system in UT3:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1831

actipper
Flak monkey

Post by actipper »

I know i'm going to get bricks hurled at me but I've got to rather like UT3 now.
It took some perseverance and a lot of effort finding out what was needed to make the game perform and look as it should.
I expect those of you who do play will have this but just in case: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthrea ... t=mapmixer
It's a must.