UT3 mini tweak guide

General discussion about UT3

Moderator: Admins

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

UT3 mini tweak guide

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I originally posted this on [H]ard Forums...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1245728
I just wanted to put it here because I can.

----------------------
I’ve been looking for INI tweaks for UT3 for a while now, with the intent of making my settings as close to the way I use them in UT2004. I realize that some people won’t need the same settings as I do, but your requirements may be similar so hopefully this will help. Most of what is here I’ve found scattered about the Internet on various forums. I wanted to bring them together in one place. By no means is this a complete list, but these are the ones that I thought were important.

First off, let’s remove those little promo movies that run every time you start up UT3.
* Find the shortcut that you use to run the game
* Right click on it and select ‘Properties’
* On the ‘Shortcut’ tab, add the following at the end of the path in the ‘Target’ field:
–nomoviestartup
* Make sure there is a space before the ‘-‘ and after the last double quote.

* EDIT * If the above doesn't work, do this:

Open UTEngine.ini and put a semicolon before these lines, as below. The semicolon tells the engine to ignore the entire line

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
;StartupMovies=EpicLogo
;StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
;StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

Okay, now we’re going to get into the INI tweaks. Most of the files that you need to make changes to can be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

where *username* is the name that you use when you log in to Windows.

The files in the Config directory sometimes are set to read only. Before you can edit them, you have to uncheck this bit. To do that, follow these directions:
* Right click on the file in question and select ‘Properties’
* On the General tab, at the bottom, look for ‘attributes’
* Read-only is the first one. If it is checked, uncheck it and click ok.

File: UTGame.ini
I like to see all death messages while I’m playing. It can be helpful to know when and how someone was killed. To make these changes, look for the following sections and set the values as shown below:

[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false (this is false by default, but double check it.)

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

File: UTInput.ini
I use the console a lot. The coolest console command it ‘quit’ or ‘exit’. When I’m done playing, instead of disconnecting, returning to the menu, clicking on exit game and then confirming that I want to exit (so stupid), I just pull down the console and type ‘quit’. UT2004 used the tilde key to pull down the console. For some reason, they used F10 in UT3. To set it back to tilde, look for the following section in this file, and change it as shown:

[Engine.Console]
ConsoleKey=Tilde

Another bind that I used in UT2004 (which comes from my days playing Quake 1 and 2), is to press the Tab key to show the scores. I like to know when I’m getting pwned and who’s doing it, so I check the scoreboard a couple times a round. This binding will allow you to press the Tab key to show scores, and it will only keep it open for as long as you hold the key down. To do this, you must first unbind the default setting for Tab, as shown below:

[Engine.Console]
Typekey=Backslash (or any other key)

I’m not sure what Typekey does, but it’s new to UT3 and from what I understand, it’s only used by developers. Now, add the following line in two sections, as shown below

[Engine.PlayerInput] and [UTGame.UTPlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="Tab",Command="ShowScores | Onrelease ShowScores",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

File: UTEngine.ini
This section deals with the way the game looks, particularly the blurring and bloom. I tried these settings and it made a world of difference. I felt that I could ‘see’ again, (it’s hard to explain, you have to try it for yourself), and it really changed the way I feel about the game as a whole. The colors pop more, and it just feels and looks better. So open this file and make the following changes in this section:

[SystemSettings]
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=False
QualityBloom=False

If you have been paying attention to the forums since the demo was released, you know that the game ships with the framerate capped. I understand why, but I’m a framerate whore and want the most out of my expensive video card. To remove the framerate cap, look for this section and make the following change:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

That's it. Eat it like it's food!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

JACKAL
Dominating

Re: UT3 mini tweak guide

Post by JACKAL »

I need the key layout like the one in UT 2004.
I am all goofed up with this stuff on UT3.
I will guess its setup for the game pads on the PS3 & Xbox ?
Thanks Jim for the post, this is cool to see a helpful guide FOR ANY UT GAME
CTC-JimRimya wrote:I originally posted this on [H]ared Forums...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1245728
I just wanted to put it here because I can.

----------------------
I’ve been looking for INI tweaks for UT3 for a while now, with the intent of making my settings as close to the way I use them in UT2004. I realize that some people won’t need the same settings as I do, but your requirements may be similar so hopefully this will help. Most of what is here I’ve found scattered about the Internet on various forums. I wanted to bring them together in one place. By no means is this a complete list, but these are the ones that I thought were important.

First off, let’s remove those little promo movies that run every time you start up UT3.
* Find the shortcut that you use to run the game
* Right click on it and select ‘Properties’
* On the ‘Shortcut’ tab, add the following at the end of the path in the ‘Target’ field:
–nomoviestartup
* Make sure there is a space before the ‘-‘ and after the last double quote.

* EDIT * If the above doesn't work, do this:

Open UTEngine.ini and put a semicolon before these lines, as below. The semicolon tells the engine to ignore the entire line

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
;StartupMovies=EpicLogo
;StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
;StartupMovies=UE3_logo
;StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
;StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
;StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

Okay, now we’re going to get into the INI tweaks. Most of the files that you need to make changes to can be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

where *username* is the name that you use when you log in to Windows.

The files in the Config directory sometimes are set to read only. Before you can edit them, you have to uncheck this bit. To do that, follow these directions:
* Right click on the file in question and select ‘Properties’
* On the General tab, at the bottom, look for ‘attributes’
* Read-only is the first one. If it is checked, uncheck it and click ok.

File: UTGame.ini
I like to see all death messages while I’m playing. It can be helpful to know when and how someone was killed. To make these changes, look for the following sections and set the values as shown below:

[UTGame.UTDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false (this is false by default, but double check it.)

[UTGame.UTTeamDeathMessage]
bNoConsoleDeathMessages=false

I use the console a lot. The coolest console command it ‘quit’ or ‘exit’. When I’m done playing, instead of disconnecting, returning to the menu, clicking on exit game and then confirming that I want to exit (so stupid), I just pull down the console and type ‘quit’. UT2004 used the tilde key to pull down the console. For some reason, they used F10 in UT3. To set it back to tilde, look for the following section in this file, and change it as shown:

[Engine.Console]
ConsoleKey=Tilde

Another bind that I used in UT2004 (which comes from my days playing Quake 1 and 2), is to press the Tab key to show the scores. I like to know when I’m getting pwned and who’s doing it, so I check the scoreboard a couple times a round. This binding will allow you to press the Tab key to show scores, and it will only keep it open for as long as you hold the key down. To do this, you must first unbind the default setting for Tab, as shown below:

[Engine.Console]
Typekey=Backslash (or any other key)

I’m not sure what Typekey does, but it’s new to UT3 and from what I understand, it’s only used by developers. Now, add the following line in two sections, as shown below

[Engine.PlayerInput] and [UTGame.UTPlayerInput]
Bindings=(Name="Tab",Command="ShowScores | Onrelease ShowScores",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

File: UTEngine.ini
This section deals with the way the game looks, particularly the blurring and bloom. I tried these settings and it made a world of difference. I felt that I could ‘see’ again, (it’s hard to explain, you have to try it for yourself), and it really changed the way I feel about the game as a whole. The colors pop more, and it just feels and looks better. So open this file and make the following changes in this section:

[SystemSettings]
MotionBlur=False
DepthOfField=False
Bloom=False
QualityBloom=False

If you have been paying attention to the forums since the demo was released, you know that the game ships with the framerate capped. I understand why, but I’m a framerate whore and want the most out of my expensive video card. To remove the framerate cap, look for this section and make the following change:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

That's it. Eat it like it's food!
I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid.
-> John Gotti <-

tape`
Dominating

Post by tape` »

i might give it a try, but i highly doubt it....

UT2004 for life!!!!
only time will tell

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

When I first read this thread I said to myself: "Why the fuck is he wasting his time tweaking a game that nobody plays?" Then I checked the link and realized the same post was made there in 2007. I then checked the date here and realized that this post is nearly a year old. Perhaps the spec slots on the server were filled and Jackal had nothing better to do than revive dead threads about dead games.

tape`
Dominating

Post by tape` »

badasp wrote:When I first read this thread I said to myself: "Why the fuck is he wasting his time tweaking a game that nobody plays?" Then I checked the link and realized the same post was made there in 2007. I then checked the date here and realized that this post is nearly a year old. Perhaps the spec slots on the server were filled and Jackal had nothing better to do than revive dead threads about dead games.
only time will tell