Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Unrealed mapping chat

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Post by Mr Bean »

-Id- wrote:Who here knows how to make escape vehicles? I would like to replace the Scorpions in Face3 with escape Scorpions like you find in maps such as Zoned. I have copy pasted the escape Scorpion from Zoned, but it does not function correctly in my map; it does not even appear.
*cough*.... Jim?

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

-Id- wrote:Who here knows how to make escape vehicles? I would like to replace the Scorpions in Face3 with escape Scorpions like you find in maps such as Zoned. I have copy pasted the escape Scorpion from Zoned, but it does not function correctly in my map; it does not even appear.
On Zoned there is a trigger at each flag. That trigger is what spawns the vehicle once the flag is taken. Copy and paste the trigger as well, making sure to put it in your map on the same flag that you copied it from. Double check that the escape vehicles that you copied and pasted are the same as well (as far as flag color goes). It should work.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Thanks, Jim. I will try it out.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

It did not seem to work. I took the trigger from the red flag, the vehicle and the player icon within the vehicle and copied them into Face3. Placed the vehicle where I wanted it and the trigger over the red flag, tested and had the same effect; no vehicle appeared.

Perhaps triggers or escape vehicles do not work if they are copied from one map to another? Perhaps it needs to be created from scratch?

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

I believe its special vehicle factory, try getting mylevel vehiclefactory from vctf-zoned/vctf-UP-Lonesomeglen, they have escape vehicle factories, also I think u need set event/tag name from flag to vehicle factory to make it work. So every time flag is capped or dropped vehicle explodes and spawns a new one. An example would event for red flag reddrop. Then u need put tag on reddrop on the vehicle factory, but it might be otherway around but you could always look at actor properties of flag and the vehicle factory from vctf-zoned.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I've already copy pasted the escape vehicles and triggers from Zoned into Face3, and they did not seem to work. Perhaps, if you are able to correct this, you will open the map and try to get it working for me.

Here is a download link to the latest version of Face3 (download also contains my new map, Gyre) if you think you can help and would be willing to: http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+Id+Gyre ... einfo.html.

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

Ok, I wasn't sure where you wanted escape vehicles on face, but I did put them on VCTF-[Id]-Gyre for you as an example. Instructions how to place escape vehicles:
1. Find mylevel files from any current map like VCTF-Zoned(open this map then open the map you want to edit).
2. Go to actors to svehiclefactory to onsvehiclefactory to onsflagvehiclefactory to/double click on onsvinfiltratorfactory.
3. Add those vehiclefactories on both bases(default properties are fine, execpt for tag).
4. Go to actors to triggers to trigger to blueflagvehicletrigger and add this on the blue flag.
5. click on the blue flagvehicletrigger and go to edit actor properties and scroll down to events and copy the event name(defualt property name is BlueFlagVehicles).
6. then select all the onsvinfiltratorfactory in blue base and go to events and change tag to BlueFlagVehicles
7. do samething but add redflagvehicletrigger and have tag be redflagvehicles.
8. Done

Also thing to know, escape vehicles don't spawn right when game starts only when the flag has been taken for first time.

Heres url for your download http://files.filefront.com/13776932

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I want to escape vehicles to replace the normal Scorpions I have in Face3 already, so that is where I want them located.

I can try that out, Helen, but I'm not sure what you mean in the first step; copy the mylevel files. Which files? The Scorpion and trigger? I am not very good at the mylevel stuff, so I am not sure I am catching your meaning.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

ditto... I found this on myLevel:http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:MyLevel
...I'm still confused :?

Iron-E

Post by Iron-E »

-Id- wrote:Is there a way to make a mover do a full, circular rotation without setting up key bases? For example, I want a ring shaped static mesh to rotate not like a wheel but as if flipping over. I cannot get this to work using key bases, so I would like to know if there is a way to just set a mover to rotate constantly.
Don't know if this has been answered yet... The key thing bit me too. In your mover, don't make any frames, just make some Mover Properties: in the Movement group set bFixedRotationDir to True and in RotationRate put some nonzero value for Pitch or Roll. Then in the Object group set InitialState to None. found it at the end of this page.

btw, HI.
Stronger than never ever before
UT2K4 is a drug against WoW

Iron-E

Post by Iron-E »

and just in case, don't EVER save a package called myLevel when prompted. There should be no files or folders or packages with the word myLevel in them, anywhere in the UT2004 directory. If you find one, delete it or even better, rename it and then open it in the editor to see if some stuff you thought was in your level is actually there...

When you see myLevel in the editor, that's going to be replaced by the name of your map once it loads so the textures etc. are loaded from a package called by the same name as your map, because in UT2004 everything except OGG music are the same file format with different names. Try this: In the texture browser, hit File > Open and instead of choosing a texture package, go up and over a directory to Maps instead. Change the "Files of type:" box to "All Files" and open AS-RobotFactory.ut2. Now you have what looks like a texture package in the texture browser, but it has the map's name. Under AS-RobotFactory you have a bunch of textures the original mapper saved into the level instead of placing into a reusable package, even some that are already in external packages (Plutonic_BP2_Textures, gj Epic!). And every texture there appears in a package called myLevel instead if you open AS-RobotFactory.ut2 as a map. Making sense now? In order to get stuff saved in myLevel, just make sure it's used somewhere in the level and it wasn't loaded from another package while you were editing. If you want to get some texture from a package to save in myLevel but it already exists in another package, DO NOT open that package and use it or else your level will store a reference to that package and it then becomes a dependency. Instead, in the menu go to View >> Log and you have a console. Type this:

Code: Select all

obj load file=somepackage.utx package=myLevel
Watch the log window for a line that looks like this:

Code: Select all

Log: New File, Existing Package (Package myLevel, Package somepackage)
If it doesn't appear at all, type it all again. I got used to typing it 2x, it's weird. Now you can find all the textures that were previously in somepackage.utx under myLevel and they will be saved inside the map, when you save the map, if you used them-- the rest will be automatically dropped when you close UnrealEd. Same thing works for actor classes, static meshes, etc. just type the full filename (.uax for sound, .u for code, .usx for smeshes, etc etc)

I used it to embed the PPC Tank-- just loaded the mutator's .u file with that command line and then found PPCTankFactory under ONSVehicleFactory in the Actor Class browser, placed a PPCTankFactory in my map, and when I saved the map it automagically saved the textures and all other actor classes that make up the PPC Tank because the original mutator package had all the dependencies worked out. IOW, they were mandatory for the dependency tree even though I never put the PPC Tank's skin on a wall or anything! Also if you did find a real file named myLevel and you want what's in it, first rename it and then use the command line obj load trick to get it in without referencing any external package. Its contents will then go into the real myLevel. If you opened it in the browser already, close and reopen UnrealEd first, then obj-load it, and only then start using the stuff in your map.

Sorry if this is redundant in any way... most is a rewording of what I've read and some of it I've come to understand just lately. UnrealWiki has most of the answers... HTH.
Stronger than never ever before
UT2K4 is a drug against WoW

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

http://www.filefront.com/14469207/VCTF- ... -Beta1.rar

The download link is for my latest map, Hyper. The beta is ready, but the map seems to have a problem. I uploaded it the the Meh server FTP, but in the web admin, the map does not appear in the maps list for me to add to the voting rotation. I also sent the map to Kronx, and the map does not appear in his instant action list.

I figured this could be because I myleveled something incorrectly, but I am pretty sure I have not.

Any map makers or server admins ever run across this problem?

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

This is the error that comes up...
UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2697 MHz with 2047MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (8585)

Failed to enter C:\Users\PAULSM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$DI00.140\VCTF-[Id]-Hyper-Beta1.ut2: Can't find file for package 'StarField'

History: UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free
It's the 'StarField Package'. I assume it's something in the skybox.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

If you include a custom static mesh, the mesh must first be added to mylevel, then the texture associated with it, in that order. If you do it the opposite way, tex first then mesh, you will be missing the package.

All hail the Beef!

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Nice, now I know the problem . . . so here is another one: How do I select that texture on the static mesh? I cannot seem to select the texture in order to my level it.