Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Unrealed mapping chat

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Dubya wrote:No idea, but I also have some problems (I know, it's astonishing)

My UnrealEd is completely fuckizzled now. Everytime I get on, the screen is completely white. I can still see all the buttons along the edges though. And when I try to open a map it does nothing. So I'm immobilized for now...

And if I ever do get my UnrealEd back working, How do you make a slope? Like the one in Aardvark, just a simple little slope thingy. I tried that sheet thing, but it's not solid. And my noobiness doesn't know how to solidify it. Is there a static mesh for slopes or something?
This is probably the most asked about question on UnrealEd:

http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... hp?t=38213
"The abyss gazes also into you"

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Dubya wrote:No idea, but I also have some problems (I know, it's astonishing)

My UnrealEd is completely fuckizzled now. Everytime I get on, the screen is completely white. I can still see all the buttons along the edges though. And when I try to open a map it does nothing. So I'm immobilized for now...

And if I ever do get my UnrealEd back working, How do you make a slope? Like the one in Aardvark, just a simple little slope thingy. I tried that sheet thing, but it's not solid. And my noobiness doesn't know how to solidify it. Is there a static mesh for slopes or something?
This happens a lot and is easy to fix. When you open the editor, click on the view tab, choose viewports, choose configure, then choose the format you want to use and click OK.

To make a slope, use the vertex tool. You can make a normal BSP box, then grab the top two vertices of the side you want to slope down and drag them to the lower vertices of the same box.

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

Ok, Beany told me it was complicated, but how the hellz do you add flags?? lol
No...

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Not difficult, just hard to find if one doesn't know where to look. Open your actor browser...
Actor > NavigationPoint > JumpDest > JumpSpot > *GameObjective > *CTFBase > *RealCTFBase
You'll find two actors there. One red flag, and one blue flag. Unless your name is Id, the flag base should be aligned to the floor. When saving your work on these types of maps, use the prefix 'VCTF-name of map'. In theory, this should tell the editor to start this map as VCTF and should be playable as such. If not, you'll need to make a manual adjustment:
View > Level Properties > LevelInfo > DefaultGameType
Type in XGame.xVehicleCTFGame, rebuild all, then save. That should do the trick. I hope this helps you out. I can't wait to play a map made by the almighty Dubya.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I'm trying to import one of the skyboxes in that link Mr. Bean provided us. At first, it looked like I successfully imported the textures, but when I closed and reopened the map, I got an error message that reads: The following resources were not found when loading the map. Any references to them were set to NULL.

Any idea what I could have done wrong?

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Lately I've been getting frustrated over the same thing. I'm guessing just import and save in "myLevel". Then open up "myLevel" to verify it's there.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Any idea what would cause static meshes that render in the editor to not render in game?

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

-Id- wrote:Any idea what would cause static meshes that render in the editor to not render in game?
There could be a couple things... Did you get the mesh from another map? Did you copy and paste it into your map?
If so, check the following for the mesh:
Display -> cullDistance - Set it to zero if it is some other number
Display -> ForcedVisibilityZoneTag - Set to None if it is something else

If you put the mesh into your map from the mesh browser (i.e., you DIDN'T copy and paste it) and it is not showing up, I don't know what could be wrong.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I sent you a PM with a more detailed description of the problem.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Right now I am plowing through texture packages looking for a certain kind of texture. I need a transparent texture that is shiny. I want to be able to place this texture on top of another one in order to create a top-shine effect. I want to be able to clearly see the texture below this one, but I want this texture I'm looking for to have a shine that moves as you move.

Anyone know of a texture like this? I'm having a hard time finding one. Or if anyone knows of a straight black, shiny texture, that would work too.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I'm terrible with remembering pack names... this is your best bet:

Complete Texture Index:
http://www3.jjc.edu/WDC08/eeberhart/Web ... Index.html

search the page for 'water' or 'glass' or 'clear'

This link is also on the UnrealEd links sticky in this same forum ;)

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Yeah, that is what I am using to find what I am looking for. No luck as of yet.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

There is a package that starts with UC..... (can't remember the rest). In the glass section it has an unlit shiney glass. It's frosted, but bright and shiney. I believed it's used for the windows on the Hellbender. I used it for the glass statues in Karnak. The same package has lot's of other glass textures as well. More variety than any other package.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

How do I look at the texture name of the texture you used on those statues? When I select that static mesh and look at the properties, the texture given is EngineS or something like that, which I believe is just a default value.

I think the texture package is called UCGeneric. I've looked through that one already, but I give it another look.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Correct! It's UCGeneric. Open that package. Click the "Open Entire Package" icon near the top of the texture browser. This assures ALL textures will show up in there. Go to the glass section. The name of the texture is:

Shader glass03_unlit_shiny [1 pass]
(512 x 512)

LOL! I don't have Karnak in my map folder. I'll have to download my own map. This should work though. In properties open Display, then Skin. You might not be able to see the entire name of the texture because of limited space in the browser.

There's a way to convert ANY texture into a reflective shiny one, but it too advanced for me. I had a hard enough time doing water reflection. That cube mapping crap gives me a headache. The finished product is pretty cool though.