Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Unrealed mapping chat

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

-Id- iot
Dominating

Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Post by -Id- iot »

Currently I am trying to figure out how to make a BSP that I can walk through. I set all collision properties to false, and that didn't work. Now I don't know what to do, and I can't find any tutorials on it, probably because I don't know how to word what I am looking for.

I'm sure someone can show me how to create a wall that I can walk through.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Id's "Still learning how to map" Basic Questions

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Use a sheet. It's a 2d BSP that has no collision by default.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I shall do that indeed.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Any idea why a map I'm making is playing as Deathmatch instead of VCTF? I have a red and blue flag (which can't be picked up) and have titled it with the VCTF prefix, yet it plays as a Deatmatch map.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Hit F6 to open the 'Level Properties' window. Expand the 'LevelInfo' section and make sure that 'DefaultGameType' says this:

XGame.xVehicleCTFGame

That should solve your problem.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

That did it, Jim. Thanks.

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

I opened up my UnrealED for the first time yesterday. I was just looking to what was behind the scenes of all this map making stuff, and I thought I might mess around a little bit. All I can say is, IM A NOOB! lol that was the most confusing thing ever!!
No...

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Dubya wrote:I opened up my UnrealED for the first time yesterday. I was just looking to what was behind the scenes of all this map making stuff, and I thought I might mess around a little bit. All I can say is, IM A NOOB! lol that was the most confusing thing ever!!
LOL! That's what I thought when I first opened it five years ago. It takes a hell of a lot of time to get proficient with it.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:
Dubya wrote:I opened up my UnrealED for the first time yesterday. I was just looking to what was behind the scenes of all this map making stuff, and I thought I might mess around a little bit. All I can say is, IM A NOOB! lol that was the most confusing thing ever!!
LOL! That's what I thought when I first opened it five years ago. It takes a hell of a lot of time to get proficient with it.
Ditto for me 10 months ago. "What the #@%! do all these #@%!'in buttons do?" There's a great tutoial for making a basic cubical room: http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php. Nothing fancy, but is a big help to undertand the editor. To be able to make something of my own is an awesome feeling. Let me know if I can help you with anything Dubya.

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

LOL, I made my first map. It's beautiful. It might pass off as a cubicle or a prison cell. :P noon question here. So how exactly do the maps get from UnrealEd to the server? What's the process?
No...

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Dubya wrote:LOL, I made my first map. It's beautiful. It might pass off as a cubicle or a prison cell. :P noon question here. So how exactly do the maps get from UnrealEd to the server? What's the process?
Just let me know when you have a finished map and I'll put it on the private. But make sure it doesn't suck balls first! :)

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

LOL! lets wait a couple of months before we start talking like that... :wink:
No...

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Every time I try to create a New Terrain--where I have to put in the Xsize and Ysize--the editor crashes on me as soon as I click OK.

I made a box that was 16128x16128x16128 and divided on a scaling of 32 leaving me with an Xsize and Ysize of 504. I click OK and the editor crashes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

No idea, but I also have some problems (I know, it's astonishing)

My UnrealEd is completely fuckizzled now. Everytime I get on, the screen is completely white. I can still see all the buttons along the edges though. And when I try to open a map it does nothing. So I'm immobilized for now...

And if I ever do get my UnrealEd back working, How do you make a slope? Like the one in Aardvark, just a simple little slope thingy. I tried that sheet thing, but it's not solid. And my noobiness doesn't know how to solidify it. Is there a static mesh for slopes or something?
No...

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

-Id- wrote:Every time I try to create a New Terrain--where I have to put in the Xsize and Ysize--the editor crashes on me as soon as I click OK.

I made a box that was 16128x16128x16128 and divided on a scaling of 32 leaving me with an Xsize and Ysize of 504. I click OK and the editor crashes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
The x-y scale of the terrain has to be a multiple of 64 or maybe 128. So in your case, try 512x512. I think that should work. You can always resize your terrain scale after it is in your map.