Something you probably didn't know.

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: Something you probably didn't know.

Post by Mr Bean »

Not saying it would work, but just an idea. Try converting the brush to a static mesh and see what happens.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Mr Bean wrote:Not saying it would work, but just an idea. Try converting the brush to a static mesh and see what happens.
That's a good idea and might just work.
XioniX, I like that you're recording what you do here in this thread. It might come in handy for someone else. I do the same thing.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

Mr Bean wrote:Not saying it would work, but just an idea. Try converting the brush to a static mesh and see what happens.
Well, I tried, but unfortunately this isn't something I have done before, and am uncertain that I did it correctly. Should the brush change to the color of a static mesh in the viewports once I convert it? If so, then I did something wrong. But along with my attempted conversion I also messed with the collision properties, and that had no effect on the result. Still kept dying upon touching the surface of the sphere.

Unfortunately I also am having more trouble finding answers on the internet for UT2k4 related problems.

**Edit**
Thanks to remembering that I still have the 3dBuzz tutorial videos I have learned how to create the static mesh in UTed. And my first test succeeded, and I did not die upon hitting the sphere.

Unfortunately, it occurred to me that this will take a lot of work. As instead of one brush with cuts into it, I will need to make a static mesh that already has all the cuts in it. As the sphere I am making is supposed to have rooms within it. And having a giant static mesh with that may not work well. I will test it.

For future reference: when creating a static mesh in UTed, convert it and save it in myLevel, then go to the static mesh browser, and find it in the myLevel package. Then insert it into the level.

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

I recreated the large sphere at extrapolation 4 and tested it once more in game. I wanted to note that, I had cut off the portion of the sphere I wanted to use, and then used the brush to intersect the top portion, then I inserted it into the level and tested it in game. I was able to walk up it part way before dying, and would also like to note that if crouched you will be blocked at the area where death occurs. I do not know if there is any significance to this.

NOTE: Upon making cuts into the sphere(Before converting to Static Mesh) I have discovered that the glitch appears to have gone. Making the cuts into it may have forced it to recalculate the geometry and collision of the sphere, and fixing the problem. I was able to walk all over the sphere without dying. I will continue making the cuts I require, and then testing until I am satisfied that the chance of randomly dying is gone.

My approach is sounding more and more scientific as I go, but, I am happy with my results thus far now.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Note that the more complex you get with your cuts before converting it to a mesh, the worse the resulting mesh will accept lighting. Meshes built in Maya and 3dmax work much better, but, of course, take a lot more work ;)

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

So, after getting past my last problem, I came to a 'Writer's Block' type thing, where I was entirely undecided as to what else my map needed. I tend to have a problem with either trying to do to much, or not doing enough in a map. So right now I am currently at a stage where my map seems too bland. Now, this is before texturing, adding weapons, adding vehicles and other stuff. But I feel that it doesn't have enough paths from one side to the other. So, I am going to *TRY* to not overdo it with paths, as I have done before(many of my maps would probably be better if I just cut the sides off). So that is where I am at right now, but, I do have some ideas and should be done with the layout soon.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

XionX wrote:So, after getting past my last problem, I came to a 'Writer's Block' type thing...
LOL! I know that feeling. This is exciting stuff. I can't wait to play your new map XionX. Keep going with it.

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

So I have added some stuff, but mostly I was testing an area of the map out, to see what I wanted. I have only had a few hours here and there because of work, but I get the next three days after today off. So I am hoping to make a good amount of progress. Finally be able to buckle down and finish the layout, and maybe figure out how I want this textured, as I really have no clue about this map, I don't really have a theme in mind yet. And even if I did, I would only get it to vaguely resemble what I wanted with my horrible texturing skills.

So I got past the layout writers block(I know what I want, but haven't done it yet), and am on to the theme writer's block...while writing this I came up with an idea, but am not sure how well it will work, but we shall see!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Keep going in that way!

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

Okay, so the map will be delayed some more, mainly because I scrapped it and started over. I just felt that it looked sloppy, some things weren't aligned well when I first started, and it was causing problems down the road. So now I am going back to my mathematical approach, where I determine where things go, and how large they must be by calculation, and not by sight. Also, I was adding paths that didn't make any sense, and had no point to them, exactly something I need to stop myself from doing.

And, sometimes when I come up with an idea further down the map-making process, I often need to go back quite a ways to add it in properly, and that has also occurred. So the map will be delayed, but I am hoping I can make it good quality, as opposed to something I just rush out that looks terrible and plays worse. (Oh, and I managed to keep getting Manta's, Raptors, and Scorpions stuck in a wall...trying to fix that as well).

But, I was still fairly early on, just working on the layout, so it's not that big of a step back, but I do think it was a necessary step back. So, it might take a couple weeks, but be assured, I am determined to make the map, and at least try my unusual map idea's on the VCTF community.

**Edit**

So I have been working on it for the last 40mins, and I am already 1000 times happier with how it turning out. Don't want to sleep, but I got plans today, otherwise I would probably keep going until the layout was done.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Have fun with it and don't stress too much.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

XionX-

I will volunteer to help texture if you'd like. I think that this is my strength. Jim and I work on all our maps together because we have each honed our skills in certain areas. Jim is rock solid with weapon placement, lighting, fog, player starts, the skybox and honest criticism.

You don't need to tackle this alone. This is where I falter. I have about 6 maps that are in different stages because I don't want to impose on people and try to handle it on my own. It is daunting. I'm working on a new map (atm) and I spent an hour yesterday just working on textures for a small portion of it. It is important that it looks right to me but it also slows down the process.

One thing I have figured out though, before you invest too much time into a map, get it to the basic layout stage and then ask people for their opinions on the private server. Set up a time to meet others that you respect on there and listen to their suggestions. While all the advice may not be constructive, it helps to hear what others think before moving to the next stage.

Keep going in that way!

All hail the Beef!

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

I am willing to let you guys try texturing for me, as I really think my main strength would be map layout. I am also bad about using static meshes, if I knew how to make my own, and had a program to do it, I would. But my reason for restarting has a lot to do with the fact that I haven't used the editor in awhile, so in a way I was trying to get off some of the rust with my first attempt. Now having done that I can continue and make the map more to my style of gameplay. And really, the last map looked REALLY sloppy, I would have been embarrassed to show it. But the version now is coming along much smoother, and looks a lot better.

So perhaps I will finish the layout, and then send it off to a couple of you and see what you make of it, and what you decide would be the best theme for the layout. And then see what theme people prefer. Because knowing myself, it will look fairly bland, and I will end up just putting in pillars and using low amounts of light, to make it look more full.

As for weapon placement, I think I do a decent job with that on most my maps, although being a BR player makes me biased against weapon lockers, I think I will manage. And on that note I have also decided to leave out the translocator for this map. Even though I still use it when testing the map out.

XionX
Rocket spammer

Post by XionX »

So, I have been at it for several hours now, and I am quite happy with the layout at this point. I am adding some lighting, and doing some weapon placement on it. And then I am going to put some textures on it...but it may not look that great, and I need to fill up a few areas and put the vehicles and spawns in. One question I have is how many spawns should I have. For BR I had 12, just so everyone could spawn at the start, so if I do the same, I should have 20(10 for each side)? Oh, and I need to add the flags and save it as something less stupid then what it is codenamed. BTW it is codenamed 'VCTFeventually'.

And it occurred to me that there is BR on the private server, and we could put some of my maps on there, just to see if you all think any would convert well to VCTF.

That's all for now, I somewhat expect the first beta to be done by Friday, or at the latest next week some time.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Get a hold of Gambit or badasp for getting maps on the private. Both of these guys have nothing better to do. As far as getting a BR map converted to VCTF, Id might be willing to contribute. He's been successful at doing this with other maps. I guess you could say my specialty is volunteering other people :wink: