Team Meh

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

-Id- iot
Dominating

Team Meh

Post by -Id- iot »

Meh is the team I have put together to scrimmage other clans and teams. We are willing and desire to play every clan and every team that can be put together, but I continually hear a misconception about this.

RU put together a nice looking team, which I told him I fully intend to play, but as I said, I am continually hearing various people say or hint that Meh will not play RU's team. These myopic views are wrong. I told RU that we will play his team, but after we get to play the true clans.

I want to do it this way for a couple reasons. The main reason being, as this is not a competitive community, I do not want certain clan members to play against Meh in the match as part of RU's team and then be tired of scrimmaging already and not play with their actual clan.

Let us say, for the sake or argument, that RU puts together three from CTC, two from DD, one from VOR, or any number of combinations, to play against Meh. Perhaps the people from CTC, DD and VOR who played in that match now have had their fill of playing my team and do not want to play again. This means that potentially DD could be short two people, VOR one, and now they do not have enough people to field a team for their clan match. This translates into less matches in terms of team diversity.

If, however, I play the clan matches first, when it comes time to play as part of RU's mixed team, the mixed team will still have enough people to play whether those who already did do not want to again. He had plenty of clanless people in that list. Enough to fill a team if the ones who played in the clan matches wish to not play again.

I simply want to attempt to play the clans first. We already have a date for the CTC match. I will be working with Badasp on getting a date for a DD match. I would like to get to play VOR, but they seem to not have enough or have too many banned from the CTC server.

If I cannot get the clan matches done in a timely manner, then I will forgo them to play RU's team.

This is all about maximizing the quantity of matches Meh and the rest of the community gets to play. By no means do we only intend to play each clan or team once. I know a revived competitive spirit is improbable in this community, but it does not hurt to try. This is my attempt to revive competition for the further enjoyment of the VCTF gametype. If this can spark continual matches between clans and teams in VCTF, then my goal will be accomplished. It would be very cool to see clans recruiting again and trying to obtain the best players to be the best team.

The other reason is my team has no experience, outside of pubs and PUGs, playing with each other, which is to say that we have just as much experience playing against each other as we have playing with each other. RU scoffed at this when I mentioned it to him because each player on my team has a massive amount of individual clan, competitive experience, but that experience was gained through many different teams with many different philosophies. As a team, Meh has zero experience. I want time to allow for my team to learn to work together and play cohesively. The potential team RU can put together has a lot of good players and should be the toughest challenge; I always enjoy saving the toughest challenge for last. This is not to say CTC, DD and whoever else will not be tough. Please trust me when I say I do not take any of the teams we will be playing lightly, but allow me to opine that RU's team has the potential to play the best because he skimmed the best players from each clan or clanless and lumped them together.

This is all intended to be good natured fun, and I believe we can accomplish that.

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Re: Team Meh

Post by v0idNull »

meh
loving this clan run by morans!

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

v0idNull wrote:meh
meh
No...

vivr
Boom! Headshot!

Post by vivr »

If the vctf community wants to spark some competitive interest it should go to 3v3 on smaller maps. You could hold weekly cups every Sunday night, maybe shorten the time limits per map. Bring your own team or just show up and one will be made with others who have no team.

Just ideas, the issue seems to be that nobody can field a full squad with backups. I mean there are probably only 30 players in the community anyway :)

Oh, to comment on the original post in this thread. You should play whoever shows up, that's what the better ONS clans did when it was actually competitive in '04 and '05. I mean it's a scrim, you play to try out new strats and such. You win some...you lose some...you get better from both.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

vivr wrote:You should play whoever shows up, that's what the better ONS clans did when it was actually competitive in '04 and '05. I mean it's a scrim, you play to try out new strats and such. You win some...you lose some...you get better from both.
That was what I was worried about: Some of the people in the clans might not show up for a match with their clan if they already played with RU's team. I was worried DD would not be able to field a team because they would not have enough show up.

Anyway, to be completely honest, I never really studied RU's roster. I looked at it and noticed a bunch of people who had not played in a long time or were banned or whatever and felt it may be difficult for him to actually field that team. If that were the case, he would possibly need to borrow from DD or whoever else and use some of their players. If that happened, maybe that DD would then later not play for DD because was disinterested in the scrimmages to begin with and was already forced in to one.

Having gone back and taken a serious look at the roster, I doubt that will happen. I did not think it was likely before, but did not want to take the chance that RU's team would accidentally ruin the chance that my team would get to play DD or VOR or whoever. As I said though, it is extremely unlikely.

Therefore, ignore this thread. Meh will play CTC first, then we will play RU's team if they are the next that is ready, and it seems they are.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

How does it feel to call ones own bullshit?
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Not a problem fielding my best seven players...without anyone being from the CTC banned list.

And I have actually thought about forming a VCTF/TAM clan just for kicks, I have a nice list of interested parties 8) . I'll ask the Godfather, Don Badasp for his blessings and who knows.

And by the way, I got these guys together because you said I should see what I could do about getting a team together. You just assumed I would stick with CTC and DD} members.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

ru_exp wrote:And by the way, I got these guys together because you said I should see what I could do about getting a team together. You just assumed I would stick with CTC and DD} members.
CTC, DD and whatever clanless you could find that you felt would augment your team.

When I was discussing the inception of this team with some of the people I was asking to join, the idea was that we would play CTC and DD because they were the only teams likely to have enough to field a team. Then when those matches were done, we would ask them to merge the best players from both teams and whoever else they could grab to boost their team and we would play that team too. We had said we would not suggest the merge idea until after we played CTC and DD because we feared if we said we would play a merged team, then CTC and DD would forgo their clan matches and just merge a team to play us, thus lessening the number of matches we would get.

Turns out, after talking to Badasp today, it is unlikely we will get to play an exclusive DD team. DD guys are on erratically and may not even have the interest. It seems forgoing the DD match and just playing your team is the best option.

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

ru_exp wrote:Godfather, Don Badasp for his blessings
ROFL, I have coffee splattered all over my keyboard, you owe me a new one.
loving this clan run by morans!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

meh.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

CTC-PapaSmurf
Holy sh*t!

Post by CTC-PapaSmurf »

I can feel UT getting unfun again as I type..

This is all so complicated. When did, "Hey, let's get some guys together with some guns and kick each others asses while they try to steal a flag", just go away? Maybe I don't take gaming seriously enough.. I dunno..

meh...
You just got knocked the smurf out!

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »

CTC-PapaSmurf wrote:I can feel UT getting unfun again as I type..

This is all so complicated. When did, "Hey, let's get some guys together with some guns and kick each others asses while they try to steal a flag", just go away? Maybe I don't take gaming seriously enough.. I dunno..

meh...
If you think that UT is getting unfun again I don't know what you did with your time when actuall ladders where still around for this game. Most likly you could not wait for all the ladders to die and for all the great players to move onto something else so you can run the only populated vctf server out of what 20 serversss???.

And If you think this is complicated I advise you to just stick with running a pub server from now on. We don't want to confuse you anymore then what you already are...

And its not the fact that us old time competitive players take it seriously at all... its a game for penis sakes, its the fact that while playing a game some of us like trying to be good or decent or God forbid perfect at it. The only way to accomplish this is playing with a team against other teams.

Look forward to playing against you smurf, hopefully you won't shy out with these future scrimmages huh?

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

meh

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

I have to preface and apologize for the following inquiry...

WTF DOES "meh" mean? I can not find it my Urban Dictionary anywhere. Is it Canadian?

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »