Pictures folder...

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

MikeFiend
Cock-docker

Pictures folder...

Post by MikeFiend »

So can anyone tell me if there are limitations on storage in the UT pics folder? Asking because I pulled my folder (click and drag) from its original location and placed it on my desktop. I noticed that no new pictures were being added so I deleted the folder's contents - still not getting any new pics added to the folder. Any ideas?

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pictures folder...

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Mike, I assume you mean the screenshots folder? If you moved it, you need to make the folder again in your c:\ut2004 folder. Otherwise the system might not make the screenshots since the folder may now be missing from your ut directory.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Shouldn't those pics that missed the folder still be cached someplace in his TEMP files?
So he should still be able to retrieve them [FIND: etc.].

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Yes. No.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Ghosted wrote:Yes. No.

Ghosted...how would you go about finding something like that? Is there a search feature that would aloow you to get them...or would you have to dive into the TEMp files yourself?

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

ru_exp wrote:
Ghosted wrote:Yes. No.

Ghosted...how would you go about finding something like that? Is there a search feature that would aloow you to get them...or would you have to dive into the TEMp files yourself?
Open cmd prompt

type in: dir /s /b *name*
Where name is what you're looking for.

This recursively goes through your file system to search, so running this from the root will search your entire drive.

I don't like/trust windows search. First it's garbage and will not find files I'm looking at directly. Second it used up too many resources last time I checked.

Not sure what all goes in the temp folder (IE files are an example), but windows definitely does not put everything in there... Maybe you're talking about something different.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

MikeFiend
Cock-docker

Post by MikeFiend »

I entered "c:\ut2004 folder" in "run" and all my new pics were there! Thanks Jimmy! I guess I just need to keep that folder where it is!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Yeah, definitely don't move that folder. I'd assume that if you took a screenshot and the folder was missing, that the shot would simply be discarded. I doubt it would go into any temp folders. If the UT coders were smart, they'd code it so that if the game found that folder missing, it would recreate the folder and put screenshots into it again as if nothing happened.

Raptor85

Post by Raptor85 »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:Yeah, definitely don't move that folder. I'd assume that if you took a screenshot and the folder was missing, that the shot would simply be discarded. I doubt it would go into any temp folders. If the UT coders were smart, they'd code it so that if the game found that folder missing, it would recreate the folder and put screenshots into it again as if nothing happened.
Dunno about the windows version of ut2004, but the linux and mac versions do just that, when you take a screenshot or save your settings it creates a folder in your user's home folder unless it already exists (roughly equivalent to my documents in windows) and puts them in there. It also lets every user of the computer have their own cache, maps, settings, and screenshots.

A cool little thing you can also do, change your screenshot mask in user.ini to %d-(%t)-%m-%p, now instead of just numbering them they'll be listed with date, time, the map being played, and your player name. (automatically whenver you press the screenshot button)

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Raptor85 wrote:A cool little thing you can also do, change your screenshot mask in user.ini to %d-(%t)-%m-%p, now instead of just numbering them they'll be listed with date, time, the map being played, and your player name. (automatically whenver you press the screenshot button)
That's a cool tip!

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Okay, okay...but does this qualify as a "hack"? :shock: :shock:

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

You're kidding, right? :lol:
I know that some peeps call custom key binds hacks (hell, I use a bunch of them, as I need all the help I can get). But all this is doing is changing the name of the screenshot.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:You're kidding, right? :lol:
I know that some peeps call custom key binds hacks (hell, I use a bunch of them, as I need all the help I can get). But all this is doing is changing the name of the screenshot.

So you admit that you are a hacker. OMG Jim!!! You headshotted twice the night and you did it with a screenshot hax.

Damn you Jim...I am kicking you off my Facebook account!

noob!!!

Raptor85

Post by Raptor85 »

It really helps too if you have a lot of screenshots :D In my screenshots folder for 2010 (i archive it yearly) I have 573 screenshots so far, including my automatic screenshot at the end of each match. (i forget the exact setting, but that's in user.ini also, lots of stuff epic included in ut2k4 but never added menu entries for)

Also, hackers only hack real life...games are serious business! Script kiddies who call themselves hackers after downloading a program from the net are the ones you have to watch out for :D

mudpuppet
Holy sh*t!

Post by mudpuppet »

Raptor85 wrote:A cool little thing you can also do, change your screenshot mask in user.ini to %d-(%t)-%m-%p, now instead of just numbering them they'll be listed with date, time, the map being played, and your player name. (automatically whenver you press the screenshot button)
Damn , sweet !
Raptor85 wrote:It really helps too if you have a lot of screenshots :D In my screenshots folder for 2010 (i archive it yearly) I have 573 screenshots so far, including my automatic screenshot at the end of each match. (i forget the exact setting, but that's in user.ini also, lots of stuff epic included in ut2k4 but never added menu entries for)
Also option in UTComp menu I think