this one time in a vctf match

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Re: this one time in a vctf match

Post by ru_exp »

Odin wrote:VCTFers in general don't take to criticism very well, and a lot of times you weren't very specific with your criticism. You'd say what you hate but not what the underlying problem was, or how to fix it.

Ooges was enjoyable, at least in my opinion, because it was a nice simple spammy map. Your version added areas that were unnecessary, at least as far as why oogoes was "good." Also you put in a cicada, which I LOVE, but putting it in ooges is fucking stupid. Also there were performance issues when going to the outside area and back with more than a few people, it was not very well optimized.

And at the end of the day you have to understand that peoples' preference in maps is very subjective and varied. You acted like your opinion was the gold standard and nobody knew you so nobody was going to listen to you, and you never really gave them a reason to.

It's alive!!!

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

Lazy.Pirate wrote:I like that ive made an impression on some of these. ^_^

Trolling with big was great. I remember the first time I saw hawke and slacker troll on the toilet level. I had to join spec to find out where they were, and when I did I couldn't stop laughing.

I remember a lot working on ooges palace with help from phage. And I remember people hating it, and loving all strait reskin maps. Never understood that.

I remember being the outcast of the community when I first started for being so vocal. The amount of apathy about the bad maps being solidified in the community was another baffling point.
So you just bump an old thread just to say that.

Lazy.Pirate
Shock jockey

Post by Lazy.Pirate »

hirschigrad06 wrote:
Lazy.Pirate wrote:I like that ive made an impression on some of these. ^_^

Trolling with big was great. I remember the first time I saw hawke and slacker troll on the toilet level. I had to join spec to find out where they were, and when I did I couldn't stop laughing.

I remember a lot working on ooges palace with help from phage. And I remember people hating it, and loving all strait reskin maps. Never understood that.

I remember being the outcast of the community when I first started for being so vocal. The amount of apathy about the bad maps being solidified in the community was another baffling point.
So you just bump an old thread just to say that.
old thread? it was like 4th or 5th from the top.

Odin wrote:VCTFers in general don't take to criticism very well, and a lot of times you weren't very specific with your criticism. You'd say what you hate but not what the underlying problem was, or how to fix it.

Ooges was enjoyable, at least in my opinion, because it was a nice simple spammy map. Your version added areas that were unnecessary, at least as far as why oogoes was "good." Also you put in a cicada, which I LOVE, but putting it in ooges is fucking stupid. Also there were performance issues when going to the outside area and back with more than a few people, it was not very well optimized.

And at the end of the day you have to understand that peoples' preference in maps is very subjective and varied. You acted like your opinion was the gold standard and nobody knew you so nobody was going to listen to you, and you never really gave them a reason to.
There were plenty of times early on when i first started playing vctf that i was quite specific about certain maps. what was wrong with them (some quite abusable area's), and gave several suggestions on how to fix, all of which were meat with the same apathy or disregard. which is WHY i started being outright brash about it. not to mention when you have 4 versions of the same map, and the only difference was that ruff colored a few things green (which i seem to remember people praising him for?) because he was a pot head, it showed that the community was rather unwilling to do anything different or set any standards for itself.

certainly some maps suit different people, but when so many people back then complained about small spam maps, im kinda surprised so many have come about and stuck around... i even admitted that sometimes they could be a lot of fun, and a good change of pace. But overall, they take little to no skill, usually have very few vehicles, and were generally considered by the community as "not really vctf." i suppose the new community just has a different opinion?

ooges was one of the maps a lot of people complained about, and with its original flat pallet, i thought i'd try and update it and open it up. did it work? personally, i think the map plays a lot better than the original (performance issues aside), but overall it didnt do much for it. as for the cicada, i wanted some method of vehicle control for the outside of the map, but i didnt want something as oppressive as the raptor can be, which is why the cicada was chosen. And with the wooden trellis things i put over the outside walk ways (was going to cover it in foliage in later version to add additional coverage), it provided a bit of cover so the cicada wasn't just sitting there and completely dominating the outside. these are the things that i was thinking while editing the map, which im not sure many other people did, some of which i KNOW did little to no such thinking. also, when a map is the size of a onslaught map, or a conversion, it just doesnt work, anyone can claim it did, but it simple did not. a game where one team scores a single point, and you wait the rest of the game for time in a stalemate, that is not a good map.
VCTF Public Service Announcement
Please keep in mind you are NOT allowed to make good OR bad comments on maps without having made one yourself. Thank you.
This has been a VCTF Public Service Announcement.