VCTF-[Id]-Hit&Run

Maps made by peeps other than CTC members.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

-Id- iot
Dominating

VCTF-[Id]-Hit&Run

Post by -Id- iot »

Here is my second attempt at map making, Hit&Run. This one took me three days to complete. The name of this map says it all. Hopefully there aren't any maps already named this. Hit&Run seems like such an obvious name, which I try to stay away from, but it fit this map pretty well.

This map is a Hellbender run map. Yes . . . a Hellbender run map, and hopefully one where the Hellbender runs are much easier than usual. If I had to guess, I'd say Basically is probably the map where Hellbender caps happen the most often, but they are still rare. They'll happen more in Hit&Run methinks, and it shouldn't be a rare occurence.

The reason I say this is because the Hellbender never has to slow down on its flag run. The flag is raised high enough for a player to grab the flag from on top of a moving Hellbender. As soon as the person grabs the flag (as long as there are seats available), he can enter a Hellbender seat while the driver never lets off the gas. The Hellbender is provided with a lot of cover and quick paths to enter and escape the enemy base from. On top of that, the Hellbender momentum stopping weapons (Shock and Rockets) are located in the middle of the map, which means less overall Shock and Rocket spam at the flag bouncing the Hellbender from its path. Plus, the lockers give you 150 ammo for the link gun, and there are plenty of link ammo pickups in the map. This should help with the rider having plenty of ammo to link the Hellbender while riding, just as manta riders do.

Hit&Run has high, mid, low and side areas all with useful purposes. This gives the map a lot of game play options that should suit just about any play style . . . except for manta driver only style players.

Id making a Hellbender run map? How will he profully camp and snipe everyone? Well, every once in a while you have to please the masses, but I think I'll enjoy this map a lot.

Thanks again to Bean and Jim for answering UnrealEd questions that I still had.

Here are some screenshots:
Note the blocks next to the Hellbender. They serve a purpose. You can use these blocks to get on top of the Hellbender without a shield jump. I know you can get on the Hellbender without a shield jump too, but it isn't easy for most people to do. A Hellbender driver can wait in the Hellbender at the spawn honking his horn until a rider comes and uses the block to get on top of the Hellbender.

This is a glass floor placed above the bases accessible from the middle of the map via jump pad. It allows foot runners a low traffic path to the enemy base, but everyone will know you're coming and can prepare for you. To get down to the base, you have to go to an elevator shaft at the end of the floor and jump down. There is a rail on the inside of the elevator shaft that you can drop to to make it easier to reach the bottom without losing health, though you can reach the bottom without losing health without the rail.

Here is another view from the glass floor, but from the other end. Notice the gap between the glass and wall. You can drop down from here to reach the flag more quickly.

This is a side path the Hellbender can use as an escape route or entrance to the base. The crates on each side of the wall can be used as cover from pursuant enemies. The ramp you have to drive over also provides cover. An enemy won't be able to shoot at you until he gets on top of or beyond the ramp.

Yes, I know this texture is for lava but the floor isn't actually lava. It just looked so cool and out of the ordinary, kind of like how I used a light texture as a mover. I figured two wrongs make a right. I love these movers. I think they'll look nice in game. There are two movers. The reason behind having two movers is so that a pursuant player can more easily keep up with a flag runner. It's a long distance, and it would be impossible to keep up with a flag runner on a mover unless there was another mover. The movers, however, cross paths. In essence, if two players get on the movers at the same time, they'll run in to each other. I like that possibility.

The next four screenshots show the Hellbender path using the glass tunnels. The Hellbender goes through the tunnel (wide enough for two Hellbenders) and down the flag ramp and out the side hallway.

Here is a screenshot that shows what I mean about the Hellbender rider. He stands or crouches on top and can grab the flag from there, then enter the Hellbender to make use of its weapons and extra health. Just be careful when in the Hellbender second seat because the exploding sky mines can knock your rider off.

Here are a couple screenshots of the low path.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Re: VCTF-[Id]-Hit&Run

Post by -Id- iot »

After beta testing for a while with a few others, the second beta is ready.

I added exits from the Hellbender glass tunnels that only foot players can fit through that will allow them to get out of the tunnel at the mid section of the map. I changed the glass textures in order to fix the invisible players and vehicles (I think the problem was that I used a shader instead of a texture). I added some walls to the top glass floor to provide cover for foot players (Acid's idea) and placed some vials at each wall.

The second beta will go on the private server as soon as I can get in contact with someone who can put it up there for me.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Hey ID if you need someone to put it on for you Bean,Badasp & Myself can put maps on the Private server Just send a Link and we can load it up for you or Jim & Sal can Also......
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Lots of interesting and original ideas in this map. I see your learning new stuff in the editor as well. Way to go Id.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I'll try to find you on xfire today or tonight and we can get the newest version up. Or you can post it somewhere and one of us will download it and put it up.

Looks good... keep it up!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Thanks, Bean.

Gambit, do you have Xfire? It's very quick to send a map file over Xfire. Plus, it allows me to hop in and do some testing right away because I know when it's going up on the server.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Yeah I had X-fire but i'll have to reinstall it I wiped my PC clean and haven't reinstalled it yet
When I get it I'll post up my X-fire then.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Looks confusing... I dont play much anymore and I hate most maps that take more than one round to know where everything is. That map looks like it would take a lot of checking out before you can decide how to play it.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

That just means you need to play more, McShagger.

To those who were discussing the difficulty of making a successful Hellbender run -- Acid, Asp and the the like -- what do you think about making the sloped part of the Hellbender tunnel a nontransparent texture? That way the Hellbender can't be tracked as easily and ambushed as soon as it exits the tunnel.

I'll make another beta with an opaque texture, and then decide which way I want to go depending on the feedback I get. I'm leaning towards opaque, however.

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

-Id- wrote: To those who were discussing the difficulty of making a successful Hellbender run -- Acid, Asp and the the like -- what do you think about making the sloped part of the Hellbender tunnel a nontransparent texture? That way the Hellbender can't be tracked as easily and ambushed as soon as it exits the tunnel.
That's a great idea. An element of suprise would definitely facilitate a hellbender run. As it is now, defenders can see the oncoming hellbender quite a bit before it reaches the flag.

Other than that, the map looks great and is a lot of fun. Can't wait to play it with a full server! :D

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I had another idea. I want to raise the Hellbender health, but I have no idea how to do this. Anyone know how?

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Perhaps there is an 800 health Hellbender on some map on the CTC server (that way I know the server supports whatever files needed to use the Hellbender) that I can use?

If not, the map is ready and I'll wait for Jim to jump on Xfire to give him the final version to add to the public server.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

If any of you guys on my Xfire who may know how to edit vehicle stats would hop on Xfire and help me out a bit, I'd appreciate it. I'll be checking my Xfire to see if anyone got on all day (taking breaks from the Superbowl to check too haha).

Roadkill has a neutral Hellbender with 800 health (which has ASVehicleFactory properties). I copied it and pasted it into my map and have been messing with the settings, but I can't figure out how to specify a team for the vehicle. I'll choose a team number and all that, but the vehicle still spawns neutral.

This is the last change I want to make to my map. As soon as this change is made, the map will be complete. So, like I said, any quick help would be much appreciated

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I have a new beta with 800 health Hellbenders. I'm pretty sure this will be the final version, but I want to test these new Hellbenders in game before I make it final. I also opened up sections of the glass ceiling on each side of the ceiling like I did the end of the ceiling, so now you can drop down from three out of the four sides.

I posted on the Epic forums asking if someone could help me with acquiring an 800 health Hellbender. I also asked for a 1000 health Hellbender just in case. A person named NightMan was kind enough to oblige and he coded new Hellbenders for me, so thanks a lot to NightMan. I should have posted on Epic forums in the first place.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

OK, Jim, it didn't seem to work. When the map was voted, it reset the server to AggressiveAlleys. I suppose all that needs to be done is to add those EHONSPRV.ucl and EHONSPRV.u files to the server FTP and redirect. Unless the Hellbenders just need to be embedded into my map, which I don't know how to do and give you full permission to do if you know how.