VCTF-[Id]-Interstice

Maps made by peeps other than CTC members.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

-Id- iot
Dominating

VCTF-[Id]-Interstice

Post by -Id- iot »

Here is my third attempt at map making, Interstice. This map took me quite a while for a few reasons. One reason is I moved while making this map, so it got put on hold for a while. Another reason is this map has tons of jump pads, and it took a long time lining them all up correctly to make them do what I wanted them to do. The map still didn't turn out the way I wanted it to because the jump pad path is a little bit linear whereas I wanted it to seem more random. I couldn't line the jump pads up well enough when I made them seem random. Sometimes I'd take a jump pad and over shoot the the next jump pad or under shoot it and I would fall, so I decided to make the jump destinations closer to the jump pad so there was less room for error. I later discovered I could change the jump pad radius, which eliminates over and under shooting, but by this time, I had already gotten my jump pads lined up and didn't want to do it over.

So . . . long story long, the map isn't quite what my original vision was, but it's close. My original vision was much less complex overall compared to what the map is now, but as I make a map, I have more and more ideas and add a lot of new aspects to a map. So far I haven't yet made a map that turned out as I envisioned it from the start. The style of gameplay I want in the map I always accomplish, but the layout of the map is never what I originally envisioned, and that's a good thing.

Anyway, the idea behind this map is something I've wanted to do for years. In this map, the best way to go from one base to the other is by a series of jump pads that are suspended over a fall that leads to kill volume. Basically, if you get shot down while taking the jump pads, you die. There is a path that you can walk from base to base, but it takes longer to reach and you can still be shot off and into the kill volume. The best option is the series of jump pads, but they come with a risk and there is no way to avoid that risk.

This is primarily a foot run map (one of these days I'll make a Manta run map), with the possibility of Scorpion and Hellbender runs, although Hellbender runs will be nearly impossible . . . nearly. The Scorpion and Hellbender can use the no collision walls to line up its path from one base to the other, but it's pretty difficult in the Hellbender because it has to be lined up perfectly. Again, the vehicles can be shot into the kill volume. If a player tries to use the vehicle paths to walk from base to base, the player gets catapulted off of the walkway into the kill volume.

I love the textures I ended up using in this map. The textures just give off this orange glow inside the bases that looks great. The texture used for the walkways outside the base reflects the blue and red lights I used over the interstice. I enjoy the textures, but I might be the only one.

I'll need one of the admins for the private server to toss this map up for me so it can receive some beta testing, but this map doesn't need much testing, I don't think. I'll be on Xfire, so when one of you guys get on, just message me and I'll send you the map. I'll apologize in advance for the file size.

Here are some screenshots:

A few views of the base.
This screen was taken from within the largest cube.
This is the outside of the bases, this is the area of the interstice that you must use the jump pads to pass over.
These next two screens are a view of the upper level of the base accessible via jump pad from the middle cube.
A view of the top of the base accessible via jump pad from the upper level of the base behind the back Scorpion.
A view of the back wall of the base.
This is the side path that a player can use to go from base to base without using the jump pad system. It is most easily accessed from the largest cube inside the base, but you can also reach this side path from the top of the base by using the ramps on the back wall.
An aerial view of the jump pad system spanning the interstice.
The remaining screenshots show the easiest Scorpion path for a flag run. This first screen shows the Scorpion passing through the no collision walls located at the bottom and upper level of the base. Fair warning though, walking through the upper level wall means certain death. You must drive through it.

ICEMAN
Dominating

Re: VCTF-[Id]-Interstice

Post by ICEMAN »

looks sweet , cant wait to try it out
nice job ID
ImageImage

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Looks like a trials map... but looks good. Looking forward to playing it.

acid

Post by acid »

+2 for appellative creativity
-1 for likely map failure because of newnet

(I have yet to play it)
Last edited by acid on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

[NBS]ICEMAN wrote:looks bad , can wait to try it out
FTFM
loving this clan run by morans!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Id, you are straight out awesome. You're off the wall, out of the box ideas help me to see things in a new perspective. Keep up the good work and thank you for all your hard work and dedication. You really add to the fun in this community.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

It was Odd at first but once you play around on it was perty fun.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

Just played it last night. Fun stuff.
loving this clan run by morans!

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Mr Bean wrote:Id, you are straight out awesome. You're off the wall, out of the box ideas help me to see things in a new perspective. Keep up the good work and thank you for all your hard work and dedication. You really add to the fun in this community.
Very nice compliment, Mr. Bean, means a lot.

I have beta4 ready for the public server. Once Jim can get on Xfire, I'll send it over to him.

I added a Raptor to the very top of the base and some openings at the upper level of the base allowing people on the upper level to see outside to the jump pad system. A player can now drop down onto one of the jump pads in order to more quickly chase flag carriers whereas, before, a player had to drop down into the main base and then walk outside.

There are a few things to note that people were having a hard time finding/realizing.

As far as realizing goes . . . when you use any jump pad that leads you to another jump pad, do NOT press ANY movement keys as it will cause you to miss the next jump pad and fall to your death. You may look around by moving your mouse, just don't touch a movement key. There is no need to move while using these jump pads anyway because you won't reach the next jump pad any faster by pressing a movement key.

Another thing to realize is how to go from one of the higher levels to a lower level in the base. In the following screenshots, you can see down through drop down holes I placed in the floor. The purpose of these holes is to allow a player to drop down onto the jump pad below which safely bounces the player to the floor next to the jump pad, a quick, harmless way to get back down. As you can see, however, it's a long drop and it seems as though it would be difficult to land on the jump pads, but there is a trick to doing it successfully every time. The hole is lined up perfectly with the jump pad, so if you use the walls of the hole (marked with X's) to line up your drop, you'll never miss. Just hit one of the walls as you fall through and it will guide your fall onto the jump pad. Obviously it doesn't have to be the walls I marked, I just marked them to make what I'm talking about more obvious.

As far as finding goes . . . some people didn't know how to reach the very top of the base. This screenshot was taken at the upper level of the base where the Scorpions are located. I circled the jump pad that will take you to the top of the base where the Raptor is located.

-T2-
Dominating

Post by -T2- »

Mr Bean wrote:You're off the wall, out of the box
And out of the closet. :lol:

Thanks for another contribution Id. Looking forward to being killed over and over again on your new map. :mrgreen:

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Me and Jim were testing this map earlier yesterday. Its pretty interesting... Now, for the criticism:
-Id- wrote: This is the outside of the bases, this is the area of the interstice that you must use the jump pads to pass over.
An aerial view of the jump pad system spanning the interstice.
The Biggest issue we had were the jump pads going across:
  • Blind navigation of the pads really sux.
  • Even if you "ride" the pads without moving, sometimes you get boosted off to your death.
  • You cant tell where the pads are that are giving you a boost. Need to be able to see exactly where you are supposed to land to hit the next pad.
  • Very slow moving so very easy to snipe... I understand that you wanted it that way, but it is way to easy to shock someone off the pads. Maybe, the shock rifle can be put on the very top by the raptor. You can still put people off balance with other weapons.
  • Too many jumps. Please, reduce it by two.
  • Jump pads do not show direction. I would like to see direction of the boost.
  • Color of pads do not seem to matter. Make it matter or make them all look the same.
Also, a few pads did not work or sent you someplace that doesnt matter.

Outside paths are too much of a PITA (not difficult) and long to navigate to lead anyone ever actually use them. Make them easier to navigate and people might go out that way... otherwise, its wasted space.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Shag's ideas are usually really good and have helped me better my own projects.

The way this map is laid out, you could really benefit to zoning off the layers in the two buildings. Anti-portals would probably not be as helpful.
http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tuto ... ation1.htm

Jim has this chicks tutorial posted in the mapping section of the forum. She really knows her stuff and how to push the UT technology to the limits. Zoning is pretty easy, as is using anti-portals.

I noticed some texturing that needs some smoothing out on the side of the curved stairwells. The brush has well over a hundred faces to it so I would use this technique:

right-click > Select Surfaces > Matching Brush
right-click > Alignment > Planar

I have yet to play this on a server with people on it. I do like the break of the common mold and it looks fun.
Last edited by Mr Bean on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Interesting map and concept, although I'd have to agree with McShagger on every point, especially about the outside paths.
Also, there are some jump pads (two in each base) that don't seem to do anything. They just jump you a few feet to the side. Finally, while I do like the look of the jump pad bases and emitters, how about something new???

And Mr. Bean has great points as well. This map would definitely benefit from zoning.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Accidental double post and I don't see whereto delete my own post.
Last edited by -Id- iot on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

McShagger wrote:Me and Jim were testing this map earlier yesterday. Its pretty interesting... Now, for the criticism:

The Biggest issue we had were the jump pads going across:
Blind navigation of the pads really sux.
There are so many pads, putting markers to show where each one is would simply be too confusing. The pads are so close together you wouldn't know which one you were headed for. Though I suppose I can take a look at this
McShagger wrote:Even if you "ride" the pads without moving, sometimes you get boosted off to your death.
The jump pads on the bridges will throw you to your death because those bridges are intended for vehicles only. Other than that, I have tested this map so much that I can factually say that if you truly do not touch a single movement key while jumping, 95% of the time you will make it across safely, but there is nothing that can be done about the other 5%. I used to miss the jump pads a lot more often than I do now, and I haven't changed a thing since my latest tests. This is something that will have to be dealt with any time one jump pad leads to another. If you move too much you'll miss the next jump pad, so there is no reason to move; however, if a jump pad were to just lead to some place on the ground or to a higher level, sometimes moving while in the air can place you in a more advantageous spot. It is not advantageous to move so much that you miss the next jump pad in a string of jump pads, so whether this was fixed or not, moving while on the pad will in no way help you as it does not get you to the next pad any faster. Instead you should be focusing on where the enemies are so you can use your shield to block their shots.
McShagger wrote:You cant tell where the pads are that are giving you a boost. Need to be able to see exactly where you are supposed to land to hit the next pad.
See my first point.
McShagger wrote:Very slow moving so very easy to snipe... I understand that you wanted it that way, but it is way to easy to shock someone off the pads. Maybe, the shock rifle can be put on the very top by the raptor. You can still put people off balance with other weapons.
I used to have the pads so fast even I could rarely hit someone using them. I had to slow them down and I had Badasp help me test the speed. The speed is slow enough that a person can get shot, but fast enough that they aren't exposed for too long, especially if they are using their shield as they should be. Also, if you don't like how many jumps it takes to get across, there are ten jumps when you use the middle pads, but only five or six (I think five) when you use the side pads. The difference is, the middle pads change your direction more frequently making you harder to hit, but the side pads change your direction less frequently, due to there being less jumps, making you easier to hit. They both get you across in about the same amount of time, but I think the side pads have a slighty faster travel time.
McShagger wrote:Too many jumps. Please, reduce it by two.
The more the jumps are reduced, the easier you are to hit. The time it takes to get from one side to the other is not longer than the amount of time you can hold your shield before its power runs out. A player should always have his shield out to protect him when using the pads.
McShagger wrote:Jump pads do not show direction. I would like to see direction of the boost.
Color of pads do not seem to matter. Make it matter or make them all look the same.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Do you mean the red and blue static meshes that span the interstice? Those aren't jump pads. They're just something I added for visual effect (which I don't do much of). It also serves as a base identifier. As far as direction goes. I know the jump pads I use don't show direction, but after you play a map enough, can you really say you pay attention to the direction indicator more than you just remember where the pad will take you?
McShagger wrote:Also, a few pads did not work or sent you someplace that doesnt matter.
I know which pads you're talking about. They do work. They are used as a means of safely dropping down from above. If you drop onto those pads instead of hitting the ground, you will lose no health for dropping. Check my second post that included screenshots to see a further explanation of this.
McShagger wrote:Outside paths are too much of a PITA (not difficult) and long to navigate to lead anyone ever actually use them. Make them easier to navigate and people might go out that way... otherwise, its wasted space.
I'll be using them a lot. Primarily as a low resistance means of reaching the enemy base, which ensures I'll have plenty of health when I attempt my flag run. As well as that, those side paths are there for people to use who don't want to use the jump pads, but the draw back is that it takes longer to reach them then just using the pads. I figured I'd leave in some way for flag carriers to go from base to base without jump pads. That's not what the map was made for, thus I will not make that path any easier to use.

As far as the ramps on the back wall are concerned, yeah they're pretty useless, but no reason they shouldn't be there. If they don't get used they don't get used. They are, however, a very good place for a flag carrier to hide. You can't be seen from anywhere unless a person comes to your ramp level or the Raptor finds you, and eluding a person on foot on those ramps is very easy.

I haven't yet made a map that is just straightforward, simplistic gameplay. All the maps I've made so far were designed to challenge the player to look beyond the simple and seek ways to play the map which will either improve their own personal skills or their teamwork skills. Yes, you can play these maps simplistically, but you can dominate these maps if you learn the tricks and learn the true purpose of these maps. Hit&Run is a good example. Once people realize that multiple riders linking on top of that Hellbender can go a long way in ensuring a cap, then the teamwork will pay off and that map can reach its true potential. Doomsday is more of an individual skills map. A lot of trick jumps and moves can help a player dominate that map.
Mr.Bean wrote:The way this map is laid out, you could really benefit to zoning off the layers in the two buildings. Anti-portals would probably not be as helpful.
http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/tuto ... ation1.htm
Thanks Mr. Bean. I know nothing of zoning, so I'll take a look at this. I'll also try to fix the texturing on the stairs like you said.

I do appreciate the feedback, McShagger, but a lot of this stuff I have already contemplated and decided to go with it the way that it is. I'm not opposed to making some changes, it just depends on what the changes affect.

I'd love to take you and Jim into the map and show you guys the nuances of how it works and why I did things the way I did.
Last edited by -Id- iot on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.