VCTF-[Id]-HedgeMaze

Maps made by peeps other than CTC members.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

-Id- iot
Dominating

VCTF-[Id]-HedgeMaze

Post by -Id- iot »

My fourth map (GuiltyPleasure doesn't count), HedgeMaze. Just as the name states, the map is a hedge maze. Though, there is no need to worry, the maze is not much of a maze in terms of leading you into dead ends and useless areas. There are plenty of markers to show you which way to go to reach the flag (thanks to Badasp for suggesting I add these markers) and there is a foot path you can always follow that will eventually lead you to something useful. As well as the markers, I added node beams above the flags, which you can see from anywhere in the map (I think) and will serve as a beacon to help you realize your location in the map (it may be important to note that the node beam will always be there whether the flag is there or not). Sounds confusing, not to be unexpected from me I'm sure, but it isn't all that confusing.

This map is primarily a Manta run map with foot running capability. I do believe Manta drivers will enjoy this map. The ways in which you can fly the Manta on the hedge maze are pretty fun and there are many entry and exit points to make quick flag grabs.

Defensive vehicles include the Goliath, Scorpion and the Hellbender. The Hellbender has a nice sniping perch on top of the concrete wall that lines the outside of the map. Thanks to ru_exp (I think it was ru_exp) for climbing the Hellbender to the top of that wall, which led to me making it easier by adding ramps to the top. The Goliath, of course, is best suited remaining stationed at the flag. The Scorpion is rather useless in this map for anything other than sitting it by they flag and sticking the bola to Mantas as the reach the flag or just leaving it empty on top of the flag.

The Raptor's main purpose in HedgeMaze will be to distract the enemy Goliath and Hellbender and to break the enemy defense. There is a Double Damage in the center of the map within the octagonal structure in the fountain (not really a fountain). This Double Damage is really only useful to the a Raptor pilot because the Raptor can grab it and quickly ascend out of the octagonal hedges and make it to the enemy base with plenty of time left on the Double Damage countdown. Grabbing the Double Damage on foot will be mostly useless as it will run out before you can reach the enemy base. I suppose if you grab the Double Damage when you have jump boots and jump over the hedges to reach the enemy base more quickly, you may have some Double Damage time left, but not enough to matter.

You can use the jump pads to reach the tops of the hedges and then you can move more quickly through the map by dodging across the tops of the hedges. Some of the dodges to reach one hedge top from another are harder than others, and sometimes you only need a double jump, but you can go from one end of the map to the other using only the tops of the hedges if you so choose.

The map will be on the public server as soon as I can reach Jim.

Here are some screenshots:

Here you can see the five fountains that aren't really fountains. The middle fountain contains the Double Damage, and all of the outside fountains contain a pair of jump boots with four jumps. These jump boots jump high enough to reach the top of a hedge or to simply jump over a hedge. Jump boots usually only have three jumps, but I added an extra jump to these boots because the easiest way to get out of the fountain is to use the jump boots, which wastes a jump.

This four ringed structure here is the teleporter. The other rings are only there to indicate the path to the teleporter.

This is the destination teleporter. It's located atop the octagonal hedges. The teleporter system is one way, meaning you can use it to exit the enemy territory, but you cannot use the teleporter in the middle to enter the enemy territory. I made them that way because if I didn't, you could just skip the whole map by only walking through a couple teleporters; too easy.

These are movers. Step on one and in two seconds you will reach the middle of the map. It is a very quick way to cut out half of the map when running a flag; however, I think using the jump boots or a jump pad to jump over the hedge to the teleporter is probably a faster way to reach the middle, but you're more exposed to the enemy when taking the teleporter path.

The green orb below me is what the jump pads look like.

This screen shows what the directional markers look like. The blue/black, electricity textured triangles point in the direction of the flag. Note there is another pair of jump boots at the bottom right of this screen next to the Redeemer hedge. These jump boots only have the normal three jumps.

Here is a screen of the Manta gliding on top of the hedges. The hedges are close enough together that, if you take the right path, the Manta can glide on top of them without having to jump from one to the other. This allows the Manta to enter the enemy base from any direction as well as going from one end of the map to the other in virtually a straight line.

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-[Id]-HedgeMaze

Post by WarDad71 »

Looks fun - gonna check it out. 8)

Edit: whoops - no linky - will wait...

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Awesome map. Your best one yet in my opinion. Lots of fun routes to take. Nice job on the skybox and water volume. I don't think I've ever seen a map like this one. Originality is your trademark Id :wink: This one took me by a pleasant suprise.

The version I played didn't have sound effects (movers, jump pads, ambient). At least I didn't notice any. It's a subtle detail that can help bring things to life.

If it's not on the pub yet, I hope it is soon. I'm really looking forward to breaking this one in.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Thanks for the compliments, Mr. Bean.

I'll never have ambient sounds in my maps; they interfere with me trying to hear footsteps on other things of that sort.

I haven't added any sounds to the movers or jump pads in this map or any of my maps mainly because I'm too lazy to search for good ones, but perhaps I can give it a shot in the future.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Looks interesting. I fear that manta runs will be a little easy against an uninitiated defense. With that outer ring around the map (between the hedge and the outer wall), the mantas will be able to travel pretty easily. Just my initial impression, I may be wrong.

It's on the public now.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

tl;dr

my impression after playing: you fall through the walls, horrible collision detection, my eyes bleed, too big for foot run, too easy on outer ring on manta... other than that it's pretty good.
loving this clan run by morans!

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

You just played the map 3v4. It's too big for 3v4. We have yet to see if foot running will be a viable option or not. I think it will be, but it's primarily a Manta run map.

Where did you fall through walls? There were a couple holes in the map that seemed to fix themselves, but if there are more I haven't seen, I'd like to know where they are.

The map is a hedge maze; there will be lots of green. Deal with it.

Too easy on outer ring? Again, you played it 3v4 and left before a single cap was made. Thing is, you have to break the defense before you can get the flag and get to the outer ring, and just like in many manta run maps, once you break the defense and grab the flag, the rest is pretty easy. You're a Manta whore, so you should understand this.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

I like the Map, And I think a foot run can be done with alittle bit of invisibility :D
I haven't realy got to play on the map yet besides just messing around but
looking forward to trying it out, I Agree with Mr.Bean looks to be my Favorite one
that you have made so far....
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Think I should add an invisibility pickup? I don't really want to, though.

I need to make the four ramps in the base all one ramp so the Goliath doesn't get stuck on it; however, I don't think it will look as good as all one ramp.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

-Id- wrote: ...I need to make the four ramps in the base all one ramp so the Goliath doesn't get stuck on it; however, I don't think it will look as good as all one ramp.
If you like the looks, leave it as is and use a blocking volume in the shape of one big ramp. You may need to make an adjustment in the volume properties. Try it as is first.

About the manta whores... *cough* badasp *cough* I think plenty of ADVRIL's at the tops of the hedges would help balance. Maybe a raptor would help as well.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I'll try the blocking volume, Bean. Thanks for reminding me about that.

There is already a Raptor.

As far as AVRiLs go, I don't want this map to be an AVRiL whore map. The Manta driver already has to keep his eyes on the hedge tops to navigate without falling; it would be too much to ask that they dodge AVRiLs too. I'll add an AVRiL pickup, but a player will have to go out of their way to get it.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Yeah you don't need to put in a Invisibility pick up
I was just thinking using Adren for it.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

ICEMAN
Dominating

Post by ICEMAN »

once again ID looks like a killer map ... keep up the good work
becoming a fan of your maps
ImageImage

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I need opinions of lowering the height of the hedges. Right now I'm leaning towards lowering them by a third of the total height. This should allow Mantas to jump on and over them easily and a full shield jump can get you on top. What do you think?