VCTF-[Id]-Gyre

Maps made by peeps other than CTC members.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

-Id- iot
Dominating

VCTF-[Id]-Gyre

Post by -Id- iot »

My latest map, Gyre. I started Gyre two nights ago and finished the first beta the next afternoon. I completed this latest beta this afternoon.

This map is obviously heavily influenced by Doughnut--one of my favorites. I believe, however, this map has plenty of significant changes to allow for a map experience different from but as good as Doughnut's. The major pickups and vehicles have a similar layout and same quantity to that of Doughnut except I added 50shields to each base.

The major difference is the shape of the map. Gyre is perfectly round. Another change is there are many more foot paths on this map at all different elevations. There are jump pads to assist your ascent to higher elevations as well. Manta runs are now easier to do because the flag is not in a smallish structure. Scorpions spawn on each flag flank, though, so defending the flag from Manta runs should be rather easy if someone chooses to do so.

I made a few more changes since we played the map in the PUG last night. I had accidentally forgotten to light the room in the middle of the map where the Redeemer is located, then fixed it in the next beta, but after seeing the fix, many requested I change it back; therefore, I have darkened the room again. It is not pitch black, but it is close. I added jump pads to help reach the Hellbender more quickly. I also raised the walls next to the Hellbender to give it more protection. I added a few blocking volumes to, hopefully, help keep the Hellbender from getting stuck when it drives off of its spawn ledge. I changed the jump pad emitter; the jump pads now look like the ones in Utopia. I turned off collision on the large flags to allow the Raptor more freedom while flying.

Here are some screenshots:

-Id- iot
Dominating

Re: VCTF-[Id]-Gyre

Post by -Id- iot »

Here is the download link to the latest beta of Gyre: http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+Id+Gyre ... einfo.html.

It also contains the fixed version of Face3 (no more hole in the back of the base). Both of these maps are ready for the public as well as the private. I have not seen Jim or Gambit around for some time, but as soon as one of you guys gets the chance, I would appreciate the upload.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

This is a cool design Id. Other than being round, and a pit in the middle, It's not all that much like Doughnut. Not very many round maps out there: Doughnut, Zoned....Gyre. So it's automatically going to get compared to one of the two. In fact, UT2k4 has soooo many maps, it's boiund to look like something.

With that a side, you've done a great job. Weapon layout, and pick ups are one of your strengths. Probably close to perfect. All in all, I think this will be a fun map and am looking forward to playing it online.

The map looks really good for being done in two days. You work fast. If it were me though, I'd dress it up with some static meshes, emitters, and different textures. I already know how you feel about ambient noise. It doesn't look bad at all, just a little bland... as does Circus's maps, and a few of EG's. But that's just me, and is ultimately up the talented creater.

As I previously mentioned to you... Glad to see you still at work on the editor and coming up with ideas. Many good games on your projects.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Mr Bean wrote:The map looks really good for being done in two days. You work fast. If it were me though, I'd dress it up with some static meshes, emitters, and different textures. I already know how you feel about ambient noise. It doesn't look bad at all, just a little bland... as does Circus's maps, and a few of EG's. But that's just me, and is ultimately up the talented creater.
I will probably never do much dressing up of my maps for a few reasons. One being that maps with a lot of static meshes run sluggish on my horrendous computer. I get pretty crappy frames on a map like Botanic. It is a small map that looks amazing, but the things that make it look amazing make it sluggish on my computer. I still love playing botanic, but anything I start from scratch probably will not end up looking that detailed. Those large flags I added on Gyre are my attempt at sprucing it up a bit, but I usually will not not do much more than that.

Another reason is I personally like the plain looking maps. Doughnut, Binary Space, Basically, etc. are all plain, but I love how they look and play. I only used four different textures in Gyre. First question I asked when it loaded up was if they liked the textures, and they all said they did. I love those blue and brown textures. They look awesome together. Texturing is not my strength anyway. The maps I have actually spent tons of time on texturing ended becoming known as my ugliest maps. Unlike Utopia, where people loved the textures; I took barely any time at all texturing Utopia.

Also, I am lazy. If one of my maps is going to get shot down and never played, I would rather not spend a month or more making it. Luckily all of my maps get played (Guilty Pleasure does not count).

Anyway, I am not trying to be argumentative, just giving my reasons why you probably will not ever see me putting out an aesthetically detailed map

I have kind of gone back on my opinions of ambient noise. I may end up using some in a future map. I just detest deafening ambient noises like you find in maps like Retro; noise so loud you cannot hear enemies sneaking up behind you. There is just no need for that much noise. The ambient noise in Nartus, though, is very fitting and at a tolerable volume.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Both Maps are on the Private server right now have to wait for the
Public to die out before installing there maybe late tonight mornish I can
get it put on.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Post by vapor »

-Id- wrote:Also, I am lazy. If one of my maps is going to get shot down and never played, I would rather not spend a month or more making it. Luckily all of my maps get played (Guilty Pleasure does not count).
Guilty pleasure after hostility arena is the best map ever can that get put back up

also this map is pretty sweet nice job and i also prefer the plain maps to ones that get all fagified (its in the dictionary look it up)...if u want it to look pretty go play ut3 with that ghosted homo

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Damn Vapor?! Is that a dis, or do you guys roll like that?

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

-Id- wrote:My latest map, Gyre. I started Gyre two nights ago and finished the first beta the next afternoon. I completed this latest beta this afternoon.

This map is obviously heavily influenced by Doughnut--one of my favorites. I believe, however, this map has plenty of significant changes to allow for a map experience different from but as good as Doughnut's. The major pickups and vehicles have a similar layout and same quantity to that of Doughnut except I added 50shields to each base.

The major difference is the shape of the map. Gyre is perfectly round. Another change is there are many more foot paths on this map at all different elevations. There are jump pads to assist your ascent to higher elevations as well. Manta runs are now easier to do because the flag is not in a smallish structure. Scorpions spawn on each flag flank, though, so defending the flag from Manta runs should be rather easy if someone chooses to do so.

I made a few more changes since we played the map in the PUG last night. I had accidentally forgotten to light the room in the middle of the map where the Redeemer is located, then fixed it in the next beta, but after seeing the fix, many requested I change it back; therefore, I have darkened the room again. It is not pitch black, but it is close. I added jump pads to help reach the Hellbender more quickly. I also raised the walls next to the Hellbender to give it more protection. I added a few blocking volumes to, hopefully, help keep the Hellbender from getting stuck when it drives off of its spawn ledge. I changed the jump pad emitter; the jump pads now look like the ones in Utopia. I turned off collision on the large flags to allow the Raptor more freedom while flying.
Thank you for making such an awesome vctf map.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

x-GAMBIT-x wrote:Both Maps are on the Private server right now have to wait for the
get it put on.
Reminder for Gambit.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

-Id- wrote:
x-GAMBIT-x wrote:Both Maps are on the Private server right now have to wait for the
get it put on.
Reminder for Gambit.
Ditto...*clears throat* Gambit...

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Sorry got sidetracked and forgot......
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!