VCTF-[Id]-Hyper

Maps made by peeps other than CTC members.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

-Id- iot
Dominating

VCTF-[Id]-Hyper

Post by -Id- iot »

http://www.filefront.com/14476625/VCTF- ... Beta2a.rar

Here is my latest map, Hyper. Thanks to Sal and Bean for helping me with various glitches and answering lots of questions. Thanks to Sal for helping me fix the skybox and thanks to Bean for helping me figure out how to make the movers work.

Thanks to Kronx for downloading tons of versions of this map to help me test the loading error.

The map is still not quite like I want it. There are three things specifically that are having issues. I cannot seem to figure out how to make an ambient sound I imported work. The ambient sound is a song, and I want it to be located in the instagib room; however, it simply does not work. Also, there is a crystal ring around the middle cylinder that I wanted to rotate. I can get it to rotate perfectly offline, but once I play it online, it is either glitched or it is moving just way too quickly. I have had to turn off the mover properties of it and just make it a normal static mesh. The last thing is that the Raptor flies right through all the movers. I do not know how to fix the collisions to keep this from happening or how to combine a blocking volume to them to fix the issue.

Bean suggested I ask the people over at the Rembo forums for help. I may do that and I may also post at the Epic forums.

If anyone would be able to fix these problems for me I would greatly appreciate it as I do not consider the map complete without them. Being able to use this song in an instagib room was probably my primary inspiration for creating this map, so it would be great if someone could get it working.

This map is a foot run map. Vehicle include Hellbenders and Raptors. The Hellbenders are on floating platforms, and if you drive off, obviously you die; therefore, their only purpose is for sniping. The Raptors can be used for defense or for ditching at the enemy flag like in Bedrooms, but in Hyper, you can ditch them into open space and they will blow up and respawn.

The unique part of this map is the instagib room. The instagib rooms contains a lot of adrenaline. It is a quick way to stack to full adrenaline, as long as you can stay alive to do it. The instagib room has a damage volume, you lose two health every second you are in there. With 100 health losing two health every second, you can survive for fifty seconds. Of course, someone could use the adrenaline in the room to boost to negate the damage volume, but one shot of the instagib and you die, so I find that to be a waste of adrenaline.

There is one thing to note about the instagib room, once you are inside, you cannot escape. This prevents people from bringing the Super Shock Rifle out into the main map, which would ruin the map, thus if you want to do some adrenaline stacking or instagib fighting or both, you can, but you will die before you can return the the main map.

In the following screenshots you will see platforms that seem to circle each base. These platforms are movers. They just loop around the base. They come in very handy for flag running. You can get a Raptor, ditch it over the edge of the enemy base, land on the enemy flag, easily shield pop over the flag wall and land on a mover, and that mover will then take you to the middle cylinder. A quick, protected way to run a flag. You can also land on the flag and berserk shield jump to the crystal ring in the middle of the map and run the rest of the way home like that, or you can speed to the teleporters that take you inside the middle cylinder and to the other base. There are a lot of foot run options.

Hyper also has a lot of open space to allow for constant hitscan fighting. The bases are rather small for close quarter rocket players to have fun as well. Fun for all.

Screenshots:
This is what the inside of the large cylinder in the middle looks like. It is the quickest way to the enemy base on foot.
This room is the point of no return. Once you are in the room with the Super Shock Rifle, you cannot return the main map.
This is a view from inside the instagib/adrenaline room. This is the room with the damage volume. From inside you can see outside and from outside you can see inside.
Last edited by -Id- iot on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-[Id]-Hyper-Beta1d

Post by Mr Bean »

Beautiful map Prism. I'm diggin' those textures and creative geometry. Not sure if you already tried this, but on those movers... set the bBlockKarma to True in the Collision tab. It might work *fingers crossed*

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Yeah I tried that and it did not seem to help.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Updated the download link in my initial post.

I have more details on the ambient sound not working. I have removed the ambient sound actor and just placed the ambient sound within the zoneinfo I have inside the room. The song plays when the map is played offline (multiple people have heard it offline), but does not play when it is played online. Perhaps that will give someone the information needed to know how to fix the issue.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Re: VCTF-[Id]-Hyper

Post by -Id- iot »

Badasp pointed out the screenshot that is shown when you click on Hyper in instant action. The only thing I could think of was I LOVE YOU, MR. BEAN. That is hilarious man.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

-Id- wrote:Badasp pointed out the screenshot that is shown when you click on Hyper in instant action. The only thing I could think of was I LOVE YOU, MR. BEAN. That is hilarious man.
:mrgreen:

bradly-james

Post by bradly-james »

Looks like a fun map. Can't wait to play it.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Hyper has been completely retextured. It was something I had been contemplating doing but was too lazy, then Badasp suggested the Arcade textures (one of the few good things Kantham ever created), so I thought I would try it out. The result is great. The map looks fantastic now, in my opinion.

No new screens . . . see above where I say I am lazy . . . but Jim said he will get the map on the public soon.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Screenshots of the map after retexturing:

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

looks good Id. I like the way the textures pop with color.

All hail the Beef!

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Hyper plays a lot differently than I originally envisioned it would, having envisioned the adrenaline stack/instagib room to be high traffic and the inside of the middle cylinder to be low traffic, which the opposite now seems to be the case, and so the dynamic of the map dictated a few changes to be made. The map, although it plays differently than I though it would, is still a lot of fun to play and is still a very offense heavy map, as I intended it to be.

Anyway, I had an alternative plan for the adrenaline stack once it became immediately clear to me that the adrenaline stack/instagib room has been all but neglected that I had been reluctant to use. After a bit of discussion last night with Badasp, I decided to go ahead and implement the alternative idea.

Hyper now contains no instagib rifles. Now, the adrenaline stack is made possible by a stream of alternating adrenaline pills and vials on a path floating above the map accessible by the teleporter that used to take players to the instagib room. Obviously, I took this idea from Darkside, as it works quite well in that map.

I will PM admins in an attempt to get this update on the private and public servers.

http://unrealplayground.com/forums/down ... le&id=7576

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

New version of Hyper is ready. Both changes are things Badasp suggested, so let us see his overwhleming and misleading sarcastic reply to this post.

Blue crystal textures in the red base have been changed to red crystal textures. I also lowered the amount of adrenaline on the top path.

Ready for public and private:
http://unrealplayground.com/forums/down ... le&id=7576.