COD:BlackOPS server - Your opinions

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Re: COD:BlackOPS server - Your opinions

Post by Ghosted »

badasp wrote:
We care by evaluating everyone's needs and acting in a way to best meet those needs. Upon doing so, it's clear that our group is largely west coast and having a server there will provide the best ping to the greatest number of people.

The only people I'd consider a Dallas server for are Heavy and Rockso. They're the only two people outside the west coast that played with us consistently. Hirschigrad would play with us for about 10 minutes, get bored, ask if we would want to play something else or if he should start a server, and then leave. RU played MW2 once and never played again. Rimmer never played and probably doesn't even know what we're playing.

It seems that anywhere but the west coast would be a selfish choice for server location, as it would be catering to a select few who rarely play the game. Of course, Heavy and Rockso are the exceptions here as mentioned previously. From talking to Heavy he does not plan on getting the game, but then again COD has a penchant for making people do things against their will (e.g., buying map packs). I'm not sure about Rockso so I'll ask him next time I see him.
QFT

This can be turned into a deterministically fair algorithm. For all players who pick up the game the variables are:

TimePlayed in MW2 (as a heuristic for the approximate time they will play in Black Ops)
List of player distance from each possible server (in this case 2+)

You do a graph traversal of each player, building a sorted list of server distances and then weight each player by timeplayed. You then get a list of numbers for each player and try to build the biggest number for the entire group (that's where the algorithm comes in and I don't have a non-bruteforce one off the top of my head, it might actually be exponential).

Interestingly I know Heavy and Rockso have both played a 'shit ton'. Their votes would weight very heavily. Badasp is right though hirsch, your vote counts for 'shit all' in this system, which is as I said mostly likely deterministically fair for those concerned. My favorite part is that rimmers vote counts for nothing :)

It's really not a big deal though. I think it's a great idea for CTC to set this up and definitely appreciated. If you want to play on another more central server, it's as easy as picking another one. I'm sure if it does end up being west coast and Heavy/Rockso pick this up we'll do just that when they play.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

It is done.

18 slot ranked, public, San Jose, CA. Sorry to those who suggested Dallas, but the majority spoke. If we find that this location isn't working out, it can always be moved.

As I understand it, the server _should_ be rolled out on the day the game is released (November 9). Watch this space for more information as we get closer to that date.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

badasp wrote:
We care by evaluating everyone's needs and acting in a way to best meet those needs. Upon doing so, it's clear that our group is largely west coast and having a server there will provide the best ping to the greatest number of people.

The only people I'd consider a Dallas server for are Heavy and Rockso. They're the only two people outside the west coast that played with us consistently. Hirschigrad would play with us for about 10 minutes, get bored, ask if we would want to play something else or if he should start a server, and then leave. RU played MW2 once and never played again. Rimmer never played and probably doesn't even know what we're playing.

It seems that anywhere but the west coast would be a selfish choice for server location, as it would be catering to a select few who rarely play the game. Of course, Heavy and Rockso are the exceptions here as mentioned previously. From talking to Heavy he does not plan on getting the game, but then again COD has a penchant for making people do things against their will (e.g., buying map packs). I'm not sure about Rockso so I'll ask him next time I see him.
Unlike half of you I dont play the game at one set time. I play at different times throughout the day.

rimmer59
Cock-docker

Post by rimmer59 »

Back to school...Cant play when ever so I need a set time to play.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:It is done.

18 slot ranked, public, San Jose, CA. Sorry to those who suggested Dallas, but the majority spoke. If we find that this location isn't working out, it can always be moved.

As I understand it, the server _should_ be rolled out on the day the game is released (November 9). Watch this space for more information as we get closer to that date.

If game play is effected, I will consider getting a server in Dallas.

Let's wait and see.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

ru_exp wrote:

Let's wait and see.
Stop trying to balkanize the community jerk!

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Ghosted wrote:
ru_exp wrote:

Let's wait and see.
Stop trying to balkanize the community jerk!

Wow...now we have a discussion going!:lol:

Is this the next East Coast vs West Coast beef thingy. I prefer not to get shot over a disagreement..

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Oops...someone {\cb/:wtfwasthat} said I should clarify becaus he took Ghosted seriously (cause I didn't 8) ).

The server in Dallas would still be CTC, but did I really have to say that?

I am still reppin Biggie Smalls in this battle...

CTC-PapaSmurf
Holy sh*t!

Post by CTC-PapaSmurf »

Nice choice Jim.. It sounds like this will be good for the majority or at least as Ghosted pointed out, the actual core gaming group. I like the idea of being fluid. There is nothing set in stone here. If it works, it works.. if it doesn't, it will be re-hashed.. No need for anyone to get their feelings hurt.

For me, the difference between Dallas and San Jose will be minimal.. also, my roommates seem to be hogging our bandwidth, so an extra 10 ms ping will be a joy compared to 1500ms.. lol I will solve that a different way.. like crushing skulls or slashing tires.. I am sure they will just understand it is over the internet connection and not random acts of malice.. :D
You just got knocked the smurf out!

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

@Ru
cb is balkanizing the community, recommend immediate disband upon approval of the counsel

Also, FU, I'm biggie smalls!

@Smurf, actually Badasp was the one who was kind enough to clarify. I just thought I'd mention that what he was saying made sense in a formally provable way given the constraints.

You haven't tried QoS on your router? On mine you can do it by IP/Ports. Haven't ever needed to set it up personally.

kronx
Killing Spree

Post by kronx »

I Think hirsch needs to start a server and be the master and commander of a huge community under him complete with website, forums, vent, pugs, n and a whole ladder With over 9000 teams that surpasses TWL MLG WCG and whatever else i missed and becomes the standard for online competitive gaming and he even gets a TV deal on G4 or spike TV

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

kronx wrote:I Think hirsch needs to start a server and be the master and commander of a huge community under him complete with website, forums, vent, pugs, n and a whole ladder With over 9000 teams that surpasses TWL MLG WCG and whatever else i missed and becomes the standard for online competitive gaming and he even gets a TV deal on G4 or spike TV
And that would be awesome.

vivr
Boom! Headshot!

Post by vivr »

My clan has always done multiple CoD servers although we may skip this title. If we do there will for sure be a Dallas server since we are mostly East Coasters. I'll post it if we ever decide.

Cornfed
Holy sh*t!

Post by Cornfed »

Screw you west coast guys! :?

I'm gonna hang out at ru_exp's and vivr's place! I'll be a little late in getting the game since I live closer to Cuba than a Walmart/BB/Sam's/anyplace that would carry it, and must have it mailed to me. Damn it sucks having to live on a tropical island! :wink:

Damn, where's that UPS guy?

Halibar
Flak monkey

Post by Halibar »

How about new Zealand....just throwing it out there
Hadleigh.;-\