Black Ops Now Available for Pre-Order

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Black Ops Now Available for Pre-Order

Post by badasp »

Pre-orders available both on Steam and places like Amazon. The digital download version through Steam seems a little wacky, though. Here's how big they say the file size is:
*Call of Duty®: Black Ops requires an initial hard drive space of approximately 24GB to download and install the game via digital download (8GB of compressed files, 8GB of decompressed files and 8GB of installed files). Upon installing the game, 16GB (compressed and decompressed files) may be deleted from the hard drive. Please make note of where the compressed and decompressed files are being saved on your hard drive in order to later locate these temporary files for removal.
So what does this mean? Will the download be 8 gigs, 16, or 24? I could do 8 on my connection, though the latter two would take forever. I think I'll just pre-order through Amazon as it's 6 bucks off and for a dollar they guarantee release-date delivery:

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-O ... B003JVF728

The game is also a Steamworks title so a hard-copy will be exactly the same as the digital version. I can confirm this through owning Napoleon Total War: I installed the game via the discs but it shows up in my Steam library as if I bought it through Steam.

Looks like it's gonna be a blast. Make sure you all pre-order soon that way I can take all your money on the wager mode come day one. :mrgreen:

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Re: Black Ops Now Available for Pre-Order

Post by ru_exp »

Badasp...unfortunately you would need to download 24 GB from STEAM...but potentially only 8GB of files are necessary for the game to function.

I am doing the Amzaon thingy today.

Thanks for the link.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

+1 for Amazon. Ordered yesterday. Paid the extra buck for release date shipping. I have to work that day so that will work out fine if I get it at the end of the day.

CTC will have a COD server. I think Jim said it was going to be called:

CTC West Coast Ranked Domination

See you there!

All hail the Beef!

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

My interpretation of the Steam note is that there will be a 8 gig compressed download. Then you will decompress those files for installation, so the combined compressed/decompressed folders will be around 16gigs. With 16 gigs of memory being tied up, you then need to install the game, taking anothr 8 gigs, which is why it says you need 24 gigs of memory to install the game. After installation, you should no longer need the Compressed/Decompressed files, freeing up the other 16 gigs of memory. But with steamworks, not much point to not just pick up a hard copy if you can.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago at a local GameStop.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

Knave_Skye wrote:My interpretation of the Steam note is that there will be a 8 gig compressed download. Then you will decompress those files for installation, so the combined compressed/decompressed folders will be around 16gigs. With 16 gigs of memory being tied up, you then need to install the game, taking anothr 8 gigs, which is why it says you need 24 gigs of memory to install the game. After installation, you should no longer need the Compressed/Decompressed files, freeing up the other 16 gigs of memory. But with steamworks, not much point to not just pick up a hard copy if you can.
D2D says it will be a 16 GB download:

http://www.direct2drive.com/9853/produc ... s-Download

Scroll down towards the bottom and it lists the download size.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

That is still a hell of long time to stream a download.

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

I'd rather buy the new World of Warcraft expansion instead of another crappy COD game. Before you know it everyone will be complaining about noobtubes and other stuff.

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

hirschigrad06 wrote:I'd rather buy the new World of Warcraft expansion instead of another crappy COD game. Before you know it everyone will be complaining about noobtubes and other stuff.
If CTC has their own server hopefully it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
(Unless of course Snow picks up a copy and tries to hang on the server and gets banned :mrgreen: .)

If I had the money to cover 3 copies we would definitely be all over this as much as time allowed. Been spending my off days with E.R. and Ambulance runs lately...fun fun :roll:

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

hirschigrad06 wrote:I'd rather buy the new World of Warcraft expansion instead of another crappy COD game. Before you know it everyone will be complaining about noobtubes and other stuff.
Don't waste your time with COD, Hirsch. Instead, use that time to stream games that people want to see. I think some Starcraft II 1v1s with a master like you playing would be fun to watch. Anyone else agree?

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

badasp wrote:
Don't waste your time with COD, Hirsch. Instead, use that time to stream games that people want to see. I think some Starcraft II 1v1s with a master like you playing would be fun to watch. Anyone else agree?
I agree with this.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

kronx
Killing Spree

Post by kronx »

you mean another cod game so crapppy... so very crappy in fact that you want to be on the TWL ladder for it.

Deathstrike
Dominating

Post by Deathstrike »

badasp wrote:
I've seen him in action for a total of ~4 mins. The game ended abruptly, but for those who had watched- we knew who the master was.

Now hirsch, In the words of my uncle, I say unto you:
One more job and then its rio for me. - Badasp (September 11, 2010)

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

In the future I will be surrounded by robots like this
Deathstrike wrote:Image
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

:lol: :P