Black Ops Tweaks

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Black Ops Tweaks

Post by badasp »

The new patch removed the stuttering for me, but these tweaks may help those of you with older systems to get even more performance:

r_multiGpu

This should only be enabled if you have multiple graphics cards or a graphics card with multiple GPUs. If you don't have multiple GPUs, don't know what this means, or are having issues with your MultiGPU solution, please set this to "0".

r_multithreaded_device

This setting should be enabled for EVERYBODY as the minimum requirements for Black Ops clearly states that you need a multithreaded (multicore) CPU to run the game. However, some people have noticed that by setting this to "0" some of the skipping lag is relieved. Test this out only as a last resort.

r_vsync

VSync prevents screen tearing. If you don't know what that is, just set it to "0" because you probably don't care anyway. Otherwise, VSync usually doesn't have any negative performance issues with today's graphics cards. However, there may be a few performance issues linked to VSync with the current release of Black Ops. Try setting this to "0" for compatibility.

r_blur_allowed

This setting enables Blur shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_distortion

This setting enables Distortion shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_dof_enable

This setting enables Depth of Field shader effects. If you have a strong shader card, this setting may be negligible. Otherwise, just go ahead and set this to "0".

r_glow_allowed

This setting enables Glow (HDR?) shader effects. Normally, this should have a negligible performance impact. HOWEVER, this setting seems to be buggy! Performance improved DRAMATICALLY when I set this option to "0".

rate

Rate is the rate at which the client sends packets to the server. If you set this too low, below 10000 or so, you run the risk of sending insufficient data to the server and lagging out. Set this too high, above 50000 or so, and you run the risk of flooding your connection to the server. This setting should be adjusted according to your connection speed and may take some fine tuning.

cl_maxpackets

This setting controls how many packets the client will hold to ensure packet transmission. If you set this setting to low, below 20 or so, then you run the risk of being disconnected prematurely. If you set this setting too high, above 150 or so, then you run the risk of continually resending redundant data and lowering your ping (or worse, getting choked). This setting is very hard to tune because it depends on so many factors beyond your own connection. Most people have found setting this to 100 is a good compromise for most servers.

Source:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1572406

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Re: Black Ops Tweaks

Post by WarDad71 »

Anyone have the config editor - I could mess with the ini manually but the editor would be safer maybe (?) - can't find it for some reason and the link provided to it was removed. BO runs perfect on the boys' machines - they are using a GTS 250 and I have a GTS 450 - I'm looking up tweaks now - really trying to avoid manual stuff if can.

Edit: scratch that I got it :D

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

WarDad71 wrote:Anyone have the config editor - I could mess with the ini manually but the editor would be safer maybe (?) - can't find it for some reason and the link provided to it was removed. BO runs perfect on the boys' machines - they are using a GTS 250 and I have a GTS 450 - I'm looking up tweaks now - really trying to avoid manual stuff if can.

PM me...I would like to have it with out having to look for it. :shock:

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

WarDad71 wrote:Anyone have the config editor - I could mess with the ini manually but the editor would be safer maybe (?) - can't find it for some reason and the link provided to it was removed. BO runs perfect on the boys' machines - they are using a GTS 250 and I have a GTS 450 - I'm looking up tweaks now - really trying to avoid manual stuff if can.

Disabling the CPU intensive stuff such as shadows and depth of field will help a lot. I went from averaging high 60s in FPS to high 80s by doing those two things. You can disable shadows easily in the graphics section of the menu. For depth of field, put r dof_enable to 0 in the config_mp INI file as mentioned above. The location of the INI file is something like this for Vista:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty black ops\players

I would assume it's similar for 7.

Overclocking your CPU may help a lot, too. I noticed a big increase from overclocking my quad from 3.2 GHz to 3.6. Even at 3.6 it's still seems to be bottlenecking my GPU, since I can put all the graphics settings on the lowest and the FPS remains the same. The game was definitely coded for the consoles, which have decent CPUs but poor GPUs. As such a quad or at least a very high end dual core is a must to run the game decently.