Bigass Steam sale / BO free weekend

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Bigass Steam sale / BO free weekend

Post by Variasaber »

So, since MW3 is coming out now, most of the COD series just went on sale for half off, and Black Ops has a free weekend AND is 33% off.
Sweet deal. I think I'll give it a try for the free weekend and consider buying... once MW3 comes out, are you guys gonna keep going with Black Ops, or all move to MW3? Half of me thought you guys would move to MW3 because it's the newest one, and the other half thought you guys would stick with BO because of the whole dedicated server thing.

What's the majority on this one? If I like the game during the free weekend, I only wanna buy it if you guys are sticking around in BO. I haven't played with you guys in friggin forever.
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Re: Bigass Steam sale / BO free weekend

Post by Knave_Skye »

Actually, MW3 will have dedicated servers, and you can buy them anywhere you like. Black Ops forces you to use Gameservers. I dont suggest picking up Black Ops at this point. We dont play it anywhere near as much as we used to, and it will likely die out entirely between MW3 and BF3. Some people are planing to buy both, some are on the fence, others dont want to buy either but will likely pick up what most people have. MW2 died completely for us once BO came out though, so id assume the same will happen to BO.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

Good summary Knave. +rep

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Reports are saying MW3 will not have dedicated servers... hmm.

I had figured MW2 died out for you guys on the arrival of Black Ops because BO had dedicated servers, and having everyone able to join up on the CTC server was a big thing for you guys.

Dammit, I can't afford MW3 or BF3... :cry:
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 did not have dedicated servers on PC, which caused some controversy a couple years ago. Generally, dedicated servers provide a smoother online experience and allow more players to join a match. Today at Gamescom Activision confirmed that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will have dedicated servers for the PC version. This is part of an effort to show PC gamers that Activision is serious about the platform. "
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188343p1.html

Honestly its about getting everyone in one place and on one team. The sad truth is that this was 100x easier of MW2 using IWNET than it ever was on Black Ops. The very late arrival of the limited Mod tools meant that having your own server really didnt mean much, since it was just like every other server. But the biggest reason I think MW2 died for us when Black Ops came out is simply that it was new. It had weapons/maps/killstreaks/perks we hadnt been using for 100's of hours with nothing but rehashed maps to hope for. Same with BO, the only additional content that ever rolls out is new maps, which just segregates those with the DLC from those without. So, here is MW3 (which i honestly know nothing about game mechanics) offering new toys and new playgrounds and maybe 1 or two new game types or mechanics, just enough to keep you interested until the 3rd or 4th Map Pack and Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare is about to be released by Treyarch.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Knave_Skye wrote:"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 did not have dedicated servers on PC, which caused some controversy a couple years ago. Generally, dedicated servers provide a smoother online experience and allow more players to join a match. Today at Gamescom Activision confirmed that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will have dedicated servers for the PC version. This is part of an effort to show PC gamers that Activision is serious about the platform. "
http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1188343p1.html
FUCK YEAH

So originally I was kinda upset that you guys are gonna leave BO when MW3 comes out, because finally it's on sale and I was willing to buy it to play with you guys. But, I tried it because of the free weekend, and it turns out my computer can't handle it even on minimum settings. It'll display it, but it stutters and lags just a bit too much, such that I can't react when I see an enemy player. I see an enemy, there's a second where nothing moves, and then it skips straight to my corpse on the ground. Oh well; I'm glad I didn't buy it and then find that out, that would have been infuriating.
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Variasaber wrote:I see an enemy, there's a second where nothing moves, and then it skips straight to my corpse on the ground.
Probably a stun grenade. You should buy the game.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Ghosted wrote:Probably a stun grenade. You should buy the game.
I've played it on the 360 before, I know the difference between lag and a stun grenade. The game was massively lagged, and the main reason for getting it (besides the discount) was to play with you guys, but you guys are moving to MW3 so there's no point.
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Nope.

That was a stun grenade. Frickin' Ghost, always cuts to the chase. Well played friend. Well played indeed.

All hail the Beef!

Variasaber
Holy sh*t!

Post by Variasaber »

Not sure if trolling...
*fry squint*
Sup folks
DD}VariaSaber