First impressions

Talk about the newest version of the Battlefield franchise
CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

First impressions

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Jim, Ghost and I played for a little bit last night. Game looks good, locked up twice for me. I had to close window and was able to rejoin w/o issue. Sound is better than BF3 in my opinion. We only played two or three of the maps but the maps are sweet. Flood Zone is really dynamic, capture points on the roofs, middle walk areas, flooded roads...really cool map.

Curious as to what others are experiencing, especially lock-ups

Specs-7970, Ultra at 1980x1020, 4xmsaa, FOV 80, no motion blur, brightness 55

45-60 FPS average

All hail the Beef!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First impressions

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

My experience was similar to Sal's, but I had no lockups. The game seemed jumpy to me, but it might have been lag on a server, or it still needs some tweaks to the netcode. I'm sure they'll sort that out.

Specs-6970, set to medium at 1980x1200, FOV 80

45-60 FPS average

Note I'm getting similar frames as sal with an older card, but I have to turn down settings to medium. I didn't check my motion blur or brightness... I don't know what they're set to.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

rimmer59
Cock-docker

Post by rimmer59 »

Money is tight, I'll probably pick it up when they have some sale.

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

Im much too broke right now. You all know how I feel about Battlefield...I would have taken Ghosts over it but it sounds like not that many people are getting Ghosts either. Maybe its for the best since I am in the middle of my final quarter of getting my Associates, but its also a little depressing that we don't atleast get the month or two that CoD games tend to pull the community back together. Hope you guys have fun with Battlefield 4.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I was getting what some might call 'micro-stuttering'. A guy popped onto the empty server I was on and we were both testing our settings. He said he fixed the stuttering by turning off HT (hyper threading) in the BIOS. I did the same and the game is a lot smoother.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:I was getting what some might call 'micro-stuttering'. A guy popped onto the empty server I was on and we were both testing our settings. He said he fixed the stuttering by turning off HT (hyper threading) in the BIOS. I did the same and the game is a lot smoother.
Oh god... that sucks. I didn't notice the issue.

I tried for a little bit this morning.

6970 1900x1200 Motionblur off
High: 45-60fps
Medium: 50-70fps

I'm wondering if not running windows 8 is making it go slower than it should as well.

They seemed to optimize BF3 over time. I'm assuming we'll see similar improvements here.

As far as the game goes, it actually feels quite a bit different to me, but I like it.
Playing on hardcore will be a welcome enhancement.

Also here's another deal for the game:

http://kotaku.com/battlefield-4-for-43- ... 1454101868

Sucks you don't like the game Knave. I'd help pitch in if you wanted a copy.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Ghosted wrote:I'd help pitch in if you wanted a copy.
I would too.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

FYI, picking up COD Ghosts today. It's 45 from a member on another forum. He has multiple copies. I'd be willing to throw in a few bucks to get this for Knave since he likes the cod series more.

FYI, not BF4 related-

All hail the Beef!

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

I could probably put $20 toward each game but that is about it. Things might get better when my wife starts her new job and once I can find employment now that school is nearing its end. You know if you pick it up for me I will play it and I will enjoy getting to hang out again, im just not sure how much of my enjoyment will come from the game itself. To be fair, I never played the smaller maps that everyone seemed to like from the expansions, maybe if there are some of those it will help. I appreciate the offer, let me know what you want to do.

Edit: Looking at that deal, I could probably (want to ask wife first) pick up Battlefield 4 at $48. If I do, can you guys work out CoD?
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Yeah, I can chuck in 15-

I already got my copy. If you other guys want copies, let me know soon.

All hail the Beef!

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

Ok, wife said it was cool so I guess I will grab it and maybe catch you guys tonight.

Edit: Alright, downloading now. My heart sank a little as soon as I saw PunkBuster, I seem to be the only one who has had significant issues with it in previous BF games.
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I'm happy to contribute to whatever. but DAMNIT! looks like I'm buying CoD!

Let's make it crotch only.

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

Well, the smaller maps seem interesting, but still having 40 + players on them makes it fairly chaotic...reminds me of ground wars but worse. I am still terrible at the game...always feel like the enemy is getting the drop on me. Only saw Ghost on tonight and he wasnt very talkative, maybe it will be better next time.
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Posting updates as I see them.

"Did you know that with BF4's default AA graphics settings you may not be getting the best quality textures in the game?

We are hard at work testing BF4, and the first thing we discovered was that the textures did not seem up to par for a new Frostbite 3 engine game. We quickly found out that by turning the "Antialiasing Post" (inherently FXAA) graphics setting to "Off," fixed this problem. The textures were now much sharper, clearer, and the fidelity in the entire game was better.

Post AA seems to be adding blur over the entire image, even though it does reduce aliasing on everything. It is the nature of FXAA, but it seems apparently bad in BF4 according to our testing so far. You have an interesting choice. We have a poll and a discussion thread which we would love to hear your feedback on what settings you prefer while you play BF4."

All hail the Beef!

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

I wanted to test out the new ShadowPlay feature for my card and used it last night for BF4. I do like that I don't see any real drop in performance, and you can see the frame rates im getting cause it apparently records the fraps counter too. Only downside is it currently doesn't record mic input. It is also limited to 10 minutes in shadow and manual mode for Windows 7 due to the 4 GB file size restriction. So if I want more than 10 minutes of video I need to hit the hotkey to save the video in roughly 10 minute intervals. You can capture the past 20 minutes and record in manual mode indefinitely with windows 8, so I finally have my first reason to even consider the switch to Windows 8. Anyway, here is the video:

-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye