VCTF-MB-Spacefort][(beta2)

CTC has made some pretty sweet maps for UT2K4. Download and discuss them here.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

VCTF-MB-Spacefort][(beta2)

Post by Mr Bean »

Ok, I think I got this thing working... I hope :D Basically a remake of Spacefort with a few changes:
http://files.filefront.com/VCTF+MB+Spac ... einfo.html

The base...

Hideout under the flag...

Top left transporter...

Manta ramp to the upper level...

Top redeemer area...

Gay man with a red hat...

This is indeed a beta, and am open to any suggestions. I'd also like to thank my good friend Salchicha for helping me out.
Last edited by Mr Bean on Wed May 20, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Re: VCTF-MB-Spacefort_2(beta_1)

Post by vapor »

hmmmm it looks awesome but i have a couple issues i could see with gameplay,

its already possible for mantas to get up to the top with the current design however since its difficult and time consuming mantas cannot really get up to the top in time to stop foot runs, i think the manta ramps will really hurt the ability to do foot runs

im also a little apprehensive about the larger area for the flag platform since one of the advantages to the smaller platform was that it was difficult for the tank to hav an angle at the top of the platform from that far front left or right corner forcing it to move closer to the flag to have an angle to defend against manta runs. this left it open as a target from that front archway. I think the larger platform will allow the tank to stay in that front corner while having having a realistic shot at the platform which may make the map a little more of a stalemate unless teamwork is actually used with coordinating distractions to take down the tank....which isnt always realistic in a public game

just some possible issues that might come up....looks cool though

o another thing those barrel things at the base of the two triangular wall things on either side of the flag will allow a manta i think to pop up to the top without ever having to go into the more exposed middle

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

FU Vapor! Always afraid of a challenge... And great job beany! looks like the best map just got even better!!!!
No...

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Post by vapor »

Dubya wrote:FU Vapor! Always afraid of a challenge... And great job beany! looks like the best map just got even better!!!!
FU no its just that maps in the public that require teamwork usually turn into stalemates and i personally dont want to sit around wacking off waiting for ten min of overtime to finish

WeedVulture
Holy sh*t!

Post by WeedVulture »

looks good bean.

gtfov!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Looks good Bean. I like how you skinned some of the meshes.

Two suggestions:

The Display->CullDistance setting for the smoke/fire emitter on the tops of the towers isn't long enough. Set them all to 0 and they wont cull. I noticed this while cruising around the top on a manta. Also, it seems that you have other emitters below them that aren't emitting anything, but maybe they're not displaying. You can delete them if they're doing nothing.

At the outer top ring of the map, you bump into the 'invisible wall' on the outside surface. What if you open that up, meaning that a player or manta can fall from it on both sides? It would make manta runs up there harder. Maybe that outer top ring could be made a little wider too.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

Helen
Shock jockey

Post by Helen »

vapor wrote:
Dubya wrote:FU Vapor! Always afraid of a challenge... And great job beany! looks like the best map just got even better!!!!
FU no its just that maps in the public that require teamwork usually turn into stalemates and i personally dont want to sit around wacking off waiting for ten min of overtime to finish
Vapor you got it backwards stalemate maps require more teamwork than ones that end up scoring 5-0.

Also Bean, when naming maps dont place space between spacefort 2 /beta 1 make it spacefort2beta1 because unreal known to do file mismatches with spaces between the name(well i had problems with it before) Another thing is when you do modify an exisiting map that you dont just put 2 behind it, you put ][(vctf-1bspacefort][beta or add remix, V2 or just name it as vctf-MB-spacefortbeta1).
Last edited by Helen on Tue May 19, 2009 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Perhaps some jump pads to speed up the run on the top ring will assist the foot runners.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-MB-Spacefort][(beta1)

Post by Mr Bean »

*Bump*
Made some quick changes, and beta 2 is now the recent. Fixed the emitters and the invisible wall (thanks Jim).

Vapor, you're an awesome player with experience as to what makes a fun and well designed map. I really value your opinions and will definately keep them in mind in making the next beta (soon). Nothing like a few games on the pub to see how it goes.

ALL feedback is appreciated. Thanks peeps :D
Last edited by Mr Bean on Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-MB-Spacefort_2(beta_1.2)

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Finally Bean!

Always happy to help bro, looks nice.

I'd like to do a good test run before too many changes are made. I do like the suggestions that have been made though.

All hail the Beef!

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Post by vapor »

Helen wrote:
vapor wrote:
Vapor you got it backwards stalemate maps require more teamwork than ones that end up scoring 5-0.

Also Bean, when naming maps dont place space between spacefort 2 /beta 1 make it spacefort2beta1 because unreal known to do file mismatches with spaces between the name(well i had problems with it before) Another thing is when you do modify an exisiting map that you dont just put 2 behind it, you put ][(vctf-1bspacefort][beta or add remix, V2 or just name it as vctf-MB-spacefortbeta1).
no i got it frontwards....in public matches usually not realistic to get the whole team working together....but who knows maybe it will be cool lets give it a test run!

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Re: VCTF-MB-Spacefort][(beta2)

Post by hirschigrad06 »

Nice job

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Very cool, Mr. Bean! I think this is an improvement over the previous version!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanks :D I also changed the name as Helen suggested. I think it's ready for pub. After seeing how it plays I'll look over the suggestion and make adjustments. The next version will also be getting cube maps for the water and a few other enhancements in areas that look a little bland.

CTC-PapaSmurf
Holy sh*t!

Post by CTC-PapaSmurf »

What a great map.. I just put it on the public server.. we are gonna play it next. I love how people were asking for it. As always, you are a stud Bean..

Thanks for creating new maps for us to play on!
You just got knocked the smurf out!