VCTF-MB-Vuelta(beta2)

CTC has made some pretty sweet maps for UT2K4. Download and discuss them here.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

VCTF-MB-Vuelta(beta2)

Post by Mr Bean »

Vuelta was an old grungy geothermal energy plant owned by the Liandra Corporation. Once used to supply power for the robot factory, it has since been converted to a playground of slaughter.
http://www.filefront.com/13948797/VCTF- ... beta2).rar

Most of the static meshes, texturing, and lighting was done by Salchicha. He did a great job at bringing a dull looking map to life. Advice and insight was graciously given to me from JimRimya, v0idNull, and badasp. Thank you.

Last edited by Mr Bean on Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VCTF-MB-Vuelta(beta1)

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I'm putting this on the servers as I type... should be ready in a little bit.
Looks awesome, Bean! Great job!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I love your jump pad emitter. Wish I knew how to make an Id one.

The pickup placement is very good. The view obstructing BSP's are very well placed. The upper level is well designed and a great place for a defensive foot player.

I have only played it once--in a PUG--and the teams were quite uneven. Foot running is next to impossible. Perhaps if you make a couple tunnel type paths in the middle cylinder to allow for footies to get through for escaping with flag or foot distractors.

Obviously there are an abundance of redeemers, but someone does not do that by accident. I assume, therefore, that you wanted that many redeemers knowing the map will end up looking like a Michael Bay movie--incessant and unnecessary explosions. If that is how you want your map to work, which is perfectly fine, then I say leave them all in there. It is actually unique. Although there are plenty of maps with gratuitous redeemer placement, those maps also tend to be joke maps or maps made by a chimpanzee. Your map is a serious gameplay map with an abundance of redeemers . . . could be interesting. Just make sure there is plenty of minigun ammunition to combat the redeemers.

I think Badasp mentioned to me that the Hellbenders spawn very quickly. This means that when the Hellbender goes down, a Manta run better be ready to go in immediately or else the window has passed, no leniency. That is assuming the Goliath is down as well. This is hard to deal with in a normal public game. It is pretty difficult to be that organized in a pub. This in turn means the map can be a bit of a stalemate. Who knows how the eight redeemers will play into that though. It will be quite interesting to see how this map plays out.

So far, the tunnels and the Hellbender spawn time are the only things I would change. Everything else, although unorthodox, could be a lot of fun to play with.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Happy to work on it for you Bean. I haven't played with people yet but 8 redeemers? INSANE!

I gotta see what happens with the carNAGE caRNAGE CARNAGE!

Let's get it on.

All hail the Beef!

hirschigrad06
Holy sh*t!

Post by hirschigrad06 »

Nice job on it.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Fast map, lot's of action. I approve.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

Very good map I've seen in a while. I'm digging that steampunk feel it has to it.

So yeah, the only two things I would change to perfect it is delay the defense vehicles' spawn time a little bit and raise the light pads in the middle to act like ledges so that you can do a foot run from platform to platform. Some people are suggesting the tunnel in the middle... if you decide to go this route, maybe an X shaped tunnel with the flags on either side of it would be more fun than a direct flag to flag tunnel. ie. - (X) - where the dashes are the flags.

Anyway, good work maine!
loving this clan run by morans!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-MB-Vuelta(beta2)

Post by Mr Bean »

*Bump*
Beta2 is available up top. Void, badasp, and Id had some great ideas that I put into this version, along with some more of my own. About 80% of all the updates in beta2 are to promote foot runs and cater more towards the offence. Let me try to remember some changes...

- The 4 ledges on the middle pillar are connected with a walkway
- Tunnels through the middle pillar
- Jump pad from flag area to middle tunnels or walkway (with a double jump)
- Subtle ambient sounds throughout
- Player starts are more sprawled out
- Weapons locker on upper ring behind flag (2 player starts put there)
- Fog added (too much LG sniping from across the map)
- Lots more ammo, health vials, and adrenaline pickups

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm liking beta2 a lot more than the previous. Let me know how it works out.

*Note to the admins: The RAR file contains both .ut2 & .uz2 files for your convenience.

-Id- iot
Dominating

Re: VCTF-MB-Vuelta(beta2)

Post by -Id- iot »

They all sound like great changes, Bean. For some dumb reason, I forgot to mention the lack of ammo on the top ring. You added lockers up there, so that solves that problem.