VCTF-CTC-Al-halal_Mosque

CTC has made some pretty sweet maps for UT2K4. Download and discuss them here.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: VCTF-CTC-Al-halal_Mosque

Post by Mr Bean »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:...I'm interested in hearing all input...
Tone down the sexy... can't play with wood in my pants :?

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Ghosted wrote:
CTC-JimRimya wrote:Bump: map released to beta 1. Check OP for link.
On the server?
It should be. I put it in the list of larger maps since it is pretty damn big.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

I took a look at it and it certainly looks nice. I still believe moving the flag more towards the center (perhaps the center of the square it sits in) would help. For one it would make it easier for a manta to sweep in and out. Secondly, it would reduce the potential of spamming the wall with whatever to defend the flag.

I also know you want to reduce hitscanning, but I'm not sure if having weapon pickups in the base would be the best idea. Seems to me the hitscanners will never leave the base and just toss their shock/lg when low on ammo and pick up another. Perhaps moving the pickups more toward the center will encourage people to leave the base and explore more areas of the map. Also some shock and lg ammo in the very center on each side would be nice too.

Finally, I noticed kind of a texture glitch in a ceiling relief. Is this the glitch you're talking about?

Sweet map for sure. Hopefully it plays as well as it looks.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

badasp wrote: Finally, I noticed kind of a texture glitch in a ceiling relief. Is this the glitch you're talking about?
Good ideas, Bad. Where is this glitch? Can you take a screenshot or describe in more detail where it can be seen? Thanks!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:
badasp wrote: Finally, I noticed kind of a texture glitch in a ceiling relief. Is this the glitch you're talking about?
Good ideas, Bad. Where is this glitch? Can you take a screenshot or describe in more detail where it can be seen? Thanks!

It's the right triangle looking thing.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

The triangle looks more on the left to me...

** edit **

OK, this is wierd. That triangle is actually part of a perpenticular texture. It's like bleeding upward. I've seen the editor do crazy stuff, but this is a first for me. I tried a rebuild on my end and it fixes itself.

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

I tried, and failed at map making. Bean knows what I'm talking about. How u guys do this stuff is beyond me.
No...

rusted
Flak monkey

Post by rusted »

I played it and that is a cool looking map. Seemed to play nice. Some people were looking for the shock & lg

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Dubya wrote:I tried, and failed at map making. Bean knows what I'm talking about. How u guys do this stuff is beyond me.
Yea, mmm hmm... whatever. Dubya is a large peckered mapping genius on a boat. Don't let his humbleness fool you.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Super looking map there Jim.

A lot of good ideas as well as to how to make it more playable. This map has been in production for some time, lol. Glad you finally released it.

Keep going in that way.

All hail the Beef!

vivr
Boom! Headshot!

Post by vivr »

Nice looking map, could definitely be fun. My advice is to add shock to the weapon lockers and put one weapon locker in the middle. Shock will be needed to stop the super easy manta runs on this map and an ammo refill will be need to get all the way over and back for foot runs.

On an unrelated note, it's discouraging to see the push to remove hitscan weapons and things like dd from maps (both new and existing maps). Not sure where this push is coming from but those things have been part of vctf since the beginning. As badasp mentioned in a previous post, seems we are dumbing down the game instead of raising the level of play.

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

vivr wrote:On an unrelated note, it's discouraging to see the push to remove hitscan weapons and things like dd from maps (both new and existing maps). Not sure where this push is coming from but those things have been part of vctf since the beginning. As badasp mentioned in a previous post, seems we are dumbing down the game instead of raising the level of play.
Admin are always trying to keep the majority happy, it's not easy, but we try. The DD option has been abused over and over, we can give you a list of campers, most of them hitscaners that play DM the whole map. So that leaves the admin dealing with pissed off regulars, and puts us (admin) in a no win situation. We can ban every player who camps and doesn't listen, or ignore it and lose people that are good for the community. So to avoid both of those options, altering a handful of maps is the easiest way. In fact in every situation where we've altered maps, the problem was solved. Bloodbath is a great example, EJ & NinjaX abuse that map over and over. So I altered a few things and the map went from big headache to lots of fun.

Keep in mind CTC was founded with the ideals that banning is only a last resort. So this is our way of keep the majority happy with out banning.
vivr wrote:As badasp mentioned in a previous post, seems we are dumbing down the game instead of raising the level of play.
If anyone is looking for a challenge or to raise their level of play, PM me, I've got prac maps for everything.

This is a 6yr old game, for the first 4 I would make prac and challenging maps. Players no longer (the majority) want or look for that. Nowadays strat maps (Actioncity) bore player off the server, me included.

Gambit showed me a post from a German server about VCTF-One++, they basically mocked that we made it easier for everybody to get pick-ups, my response "blah blah blah". We will never cater to just the self proclaimed 1337. In fact, personally, my loyalty is with noobs before 1337, this no secret. If more 1337 would COMMUNICATE, USE VEHICLES, BALANCE TEAMS AND HELP NOOBS, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But it is what it is, so we do what we can to keep the majority happy.

Also, IMO these players are 1337.

Ghosted
Vapor
Badasp
Deathstrike

They can do almost everything...except for raptor. :D

vivr
Boom! Headshot!

Post by vivr »

Belta, there's so much wrong with that post I'm not even going to start posting a reply. Let's just say I disagree completely with your stance on abusing a map...I honestly don't even understand that statement.

Let me instead offer you a suggestion that is much better than taking stuff out of maps, changing weapon loadouts, altering gameplay, etc. Remove the net stats option from the UT comp scoreboard server side as they have done on the VM server. Maybe that will get people more concerned with capping flags and less concerned about kill/death ratios and dming.

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

All he was saying is it can get annoying for those who jump into a Vehicular ctf map and try to get objectives done but instead are confronted with people who do nothing but focus on DM instead of exploring the option of working as a team to get the flag and bring it back either with vehicles or however the map is set up. Seems easy to understand - and no, I have nothing to do with anything going on here I'm just a peon like everyone else playing whenever able.

The above statement feels vaguely familiar

Back to topic: Can't wait to play this map 8)

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

vivr wrote:Let me instead offer you a suggestion that is much better than taking stuff out of maps, changing weapon loadouts, altering gameplay, etc. Remove the net stats option from the UT comp scoreboard server side as they have done on the VM server. Maybe that will get people more concerned with capping flags and less concerned about kill/death ratios and dming.
Great idea's, some of those idea's we're using already. I'll look in to the net stat option. Are you sure that's what it's called, because I can't find it. Not saying we're going to do that, just sound worth looking into.