VCTF-CTC-CasusBelli-b2

CTC has made some pretty sweet maps for UT2K4. Download and discuss them here.

Moderators: Admins, Map moderators

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

VCTF-CTC-CasusBelli-b2

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Sal and I have been working on this map off and on for a while now. It is called 'Casus Belli', which is Latin for 'Cause of War'. Please play it and give your opinions! Here are some shots:

UPDATE:
We've updated this map based on the constructive criticism that we've received on the first beta version.
To download the new version, go here:
http://www.ctclan.us/maps/VCTF-CTC-CasusBelli-b2.zip

Here are some updated shots:

"The abyss gazes also into you"

-T2-
Dominating

Re: New Map - VCTF-CTC-CasusBelli-b1

Post by -T2- »

Wow! This looks nice Jim & Sal. I can't wait to DL it and play it.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

I absolutely LOVE the look of this project... really breath taking. I'll definitely post some feedback as soon as I play. You guys never cease to amaze me.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

We aims to please, lol.

Thanks guys and thanks to Jim for his vision and partnership. We do hope that you all enjoy it. Next map should be out within a few days. As always, thanks Bean for all of your positivity and contributions. I dedicate our next map, EisenFaust, to your desire to make your mark on this fine community.

All hail the Beef!

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Looks good guys, I see I'm way behind on playing the new maps, catch ya laters....
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

SMR
Holy sh*t!

Post by SMR »

looks great

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

I was fortunate enough to play in world premier of Casus Belli. Here is the winning pic of this great event:

While my projects aren't as pro as Jim's and Sal's, I do have a good understanding of what goes into making a map from start to finish. Besides the time and know how that goes into it, maps are personal. I think every mapper leaves a piece of themselves in each map that they make. Thank goodness I am a part of this community and am able to enjoy the sweet ass maps that these pros graciously share with us.

* Since this map is so new, I will wait a few days before making any opinions, suggestions, ideas, ect;.

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

The map certainly looks cool (no pun intended). The textures are definitely fresh and exciting. The terrain, especially the hills, are fun to drive through in a scorpion and manta. Unfortunately, the gameplay isn't on the same high level as the aesthetics. For one, the map is too defensive heavy. There is only one way in and out and this makes scoring quite difficult. The crates around the flag impede manta runs and make them quite difficult. In the couple times I played the map, the opposition very effectively put scorpions and benders inside the crate area. Since there are no raptors, those vehicles have to be destoyed either by manta or on foot. This slows down the approach by the manta run and makes it very difficult to get the flag without first being killed. Secondly, foot-capping is very difficult. The map is very long with few places someone on foot could hide to avoid a manta. Finally, the map can use more vehicles. In particular, and as previously alluded to, a raptor on each side is needed to take down enemy defenses.

For the revision, I suggest the following changes:
1. Remove the crates around the flag
2. Add a raptor to each side
3. Add an upper level for foot-runners if possible (maybe even an additional jump pad for the center rock leading to the rocks near the bases)

All in all, I belive CasusBelli has the potential to be a really great map. It is almost there, just a few more tweaks to make it more offensive-friendly will go a long way. Thanks to CTC for another cool map to play on. :D

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I got some not so constructive input last night in-game... but that's okay everyone is entitled to their opinion, and yes, this is a beta version. I added the stuff around the flag because I thought it would be too easy to get in and out with a manta. But, as long as each team has a competent AVRIL'er, it will still be pretty hard. I also see the point of adding a Raptor... and I have an idea about adding an upper level, maybe a ring of cliffs around the entire map, for foot runners.

Thanks again, keep the input coming!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

It doesn't matter how good a map is. There will always be somebody that doesn't like it... no exceptions.

I like the idea of additional pedestrian routes. Upper ledges are good. Maybe even some portals and/or jumpads that shorten the distance. Some underground routes that partially protect the footie is another option. More options to the players would be good in my opinion. The bases look great. I like all the different defensive angles. Moving the stuff around the flag might be better. Try both on the server and see how they play. As always... the pickup placement, lighting, collision, textures, and choice of statics are phenomenal.

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

Here's a screenshot of a game we played tonight on the map:

The game went about 25 minutes before a cap. Within those 25 minutes, the farthest both of the flags got was midfield. Basically each team would try a manta run, the manta run would be destroyed, and people would try again only to be destoyed soon after. The map has big hills and high points for avriling and it essentially shut manta runs down. Even sending in two manta runs at once proved largely unsuccessful (except for the one cap that ended the game, however). Foot runs also proved futile since the carrier was quickly squashed by a manta.

Nonetheless, I had fun playing the map. I guess the map appeals to those who like more defense. In many ways it is the antithesis of Frontline, which is a fast-paced and high-scoring map.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Sorry to get off subject here, but I notice in the pic that Badasp gets overlaying text like I do. Is that from Anti-TCC, and does anyone know of a fix?

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Mr Bean wrote:Sorry to get off subject here, but I notice in the pic that Badasp gets overlaying text like I do. Is that from Anti-TCC, and does anyone know of a fix?
(re-)Read my UTcomp thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=212
it will explain a few of those things. I always turn off the utcomp scoreboard as well as colored names (so you can actually read the names in the scoreboard). It may or may not help the double text... I can't remember.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Hello all. Just FYI, I'm reworking some of the map to see if it will flow better, should be done tonight. Look for it.

All hail the Beef!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

BUMP. Map updated... see first post in this thread. Continue to give your opinions!
Thank you!