I need a mapper's help...please?

General discussion about UT2004

Moderator: Admins

[RGC]CrYsTaL
Killing Spree

I need a mapper's help...please?

Post by [RGC]CrYsTaL »

Hi all,

If there are any mappers out there, I need some help. One of my clan members made a map and it won't run on my server. I've played it on my pc and it works but I'm sure he's missing a static mesh or a texture file BUT I've opened it up in ED and I don't get any missing files.. :( I did originally when I got the map but I found those files and put them on the server but the darn map still crashes it. :(

I would love it if someone would be willing to look at it for me and see what's wrong with it so I can finally put it on the server. If there's anyone out there that is a mapper and would like to help me, just post in this thread or PM me and I will put the map on my FileFront for you to d/l and look at.

Thanks so much in advance for any assistance. :D

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Re: I need a mapper's help...please?

Post by Beltamaxx »

[RGC]CrYsTaL wrote:Hi all,

If there are any mappers out there, I need some help. One of my clan members made a map and it won't run on my server. I've played it on my pc and it works but I'm sure he's missing a static mesh or a texture file BUT I've opened it up in ED and I don't get any missing files.. :( I did originally when I got the map but I found those files and put them on the server but the darn map still crashes it. :(
Check your "server.log" if it's only not working on your server, it should give you a clue.

SMR
Holy sh*t!

Post by SMR »

maybe the file you uploaded to server is corrupted.

Or maybe the file he used was modified, and the ones you put on the server were different.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Crystal, either Jim or I can help you. Maybe we can hook up on vent and talk about it. I know a few nagging issues that circumvent the "I added everything that was missing to the map" issue.

Also, I always have a virgin install on another comp in my house. It is patched to 3369 and includes the ECE bonus pack. I open all my maps on it and any issues pop up there quickly. Hope that helps.

All hail the Beef!

[RGC]CrYsTaL
Killing Spree

Post by [RGC]CrYsTaL »

That would be a BIG help, Sal! Thanks so much for the offer.

I'm just very anxious to get this resolved cuz the clan member that made this map did such a great job on it, that I owe it to him to put his work on the server and let everyone enjoy the map.

Please let me know when we can get together in Vent to do this. I have already set up your clan info on my vent so I just need the word from you two. :)

Once again, thanks for the prompt reply and the offer to help! You guys are GREAT! :D ;)

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Crystal, is there any way that I could get that map from you? I'm sure I could figure it out pretty quick. At least I hope so.

All hail the Beef!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I just saw this post... Sorry for the late reply. I'm sure we could figure this out. Any way we could get the file? Maybe a link to your redirect and the file name? That would be easiest.
I'm gonna send you a PM in a sec too. Talk to you soon!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

Lazy.Pirate
Shock jockey

Post by Lazy.Pirate »

ive got a fresh unreal anthology install on my comp right now, i'd be down for taking a look
VCTF Public Service Announcement
Please keep in mind you are NOT allowed to make good OR bad comments on maps without having made one yourself. Thank you.
This has been a VCTF Public Service Announcement.

[RGC]CrYsTaL
Killing Spree

Post by [RGC]CrYsTaL »

CTC-Salchicha wrote:Crystal, is there any way that I could get that map from you? I'm sure I could figure it out pretty quick. At least I hope so.

I hosted the map on my FileFront and you can download it from there. It's pretty big cuz it's very detailed so just beware... :shock:

If anyone has any ideas as to why it won't run on the server, due to whatever reason, please let me know. I really do appreciate anyone/everyone's help! I'm stumped..... :?

Thanks guys! :D

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

I downloaded this and opened it in the editor. It says it's missing the following packs:
AmorFati
Breakmesh
Breaktex
McDonalds
Ophelia-enhanced
Soul_Objects

That's all it says right now. You may find some of the missing stuff, then add it to the map, and then more things will pop up. Tracing these down for anybody who doesn't have these packs would be a lot of work. I assume that the author has all of these on his/her system folder. They need to be looked at one at a time and added to the map in the 'mylevel'.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

[RGC]CrYsTaL
Killing Spree

Post by [RGC]CrYsTaL »

Ugh!

I added all the files to the server before I put this on my FileFront (except for the skins - Amorfati and Ophellia-enhanced, which the author put into his 'mylevel - supposedly) but it still would not work on the server.... Apparently something is messed up... *sigh*

Many THANKS for looking into that for me, Jim!!! I do appreciate it!! I'll have to get on the author to re-check his 'mylevel' again and make sure all those files are in the map.... before I attempt to put this on the server..

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Hello Crys. I open the map as well and I found a few missing textures. I'm afraid that there may be a couple of unsolvable issues, at least as far as I have run into in the past. Some textures require a "palette" that I have never been able to integrate into my maps. I have always had to change the texture into one that didn't require the palette b/c I don't know how to package it into the map. The texture that is on the fireplace, actually above it, looks like one of those instances. I could easily tell you how to check but I don't have the time to go into it here as I am at work. It would just be easier to show you. Hope this helps!

All hail the Beef!