XBOX 360, PS3 or Wii?

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

XBOX 360, PS3 or Wii?

Post by McShagger »

Im going to buying a consul pretty soon and am kinda leaning toward the PS3. Just wondering what you all think are the pluses and minuses of each. Keep in mind, I will be playing with my wife for the most part. So, what do you think?

MikeFiend
Cock-docker

Re: XBOX 360, PS3 or Wii?

Post by MikeFiend »

I always wondered about that myself. I was always told that a good pc totally dominates any console gaming experience. Is this still true, or am I going on information from 10 years ago? I don't mean to trump Shaggy, so please try to answer his question before turning this thread into a pc vs. console thread.

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

I broke down and got an Xbox when Gears of War 2 came out. I'm pretty happy with it. The downloadable games via xbox live are fun (mostly play Every Extend Extra Extreme, and RezHD) My only qualm is that I can see how it can turn into a money pit. I mean there is tons of shit to do, or at least it feels like it. Downloadable content paid in microsoft points or whatever. And don't plan on actually enjoying conversations online. For real, the worst behaved kids ever are on it.

I have a friend with PS3 and he loves it, but he thinks there aren't really a whole ton of great games. He's looking forward to the latest God of War.

The Wii is fun... but I just get sick of that gimmicky stuff. I'd like to see how Mad World plays. The system's flaw is a severe shortage of games that anyone other than a middle-schooler would like. Shaun White's snowboarding is fun with the Wii Fit board, but man if some of the controls just seem so counter intuitive. I'm probably just doing it wrong.

So, my biased opinion is Xbox. Simply because a LOT of games come out that are worth playing (which often leaves me frustrated enough to leave the game store empty handed b/c of too many choices). It's cheap enough where you won't have buyers remorse if you don't play it a lot. My advice though, is to keep FPS's on your computer. Even with gears of war 2, I get fucking pissed because I played gow 1 on pc and had great aim. Plus you have to deal with host advantage (no dedicated servers).

FINALLY, if you do plan on buying one: get the middle ground model with a 60+ gig hd. You'll need it and be pissed when you don't have it.

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Im leaning toward the PS3 for a few reasons...

1. Keyboard & Mouse
2. Bluray
3. Web Browser (I hear XBOX 360 is not so good and PS3 is just like PC)

Others may be misperceptions: Dont you have to pay to get on line with XBOX?

WeedVulture
Holy sh*t!

Post by WeedVulture »

XBOX 360

ICEMAN
Dominating

Post by ICEMAN »

buy all 3 problem solved

but if i had to pick, i would go for the PS3

wii is fun and a nice work out at the same time ,but how long is that gonna last

xbox is what you call your old girlfriend , im not a xbox fan
ImageImage

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

McShagger wrote:Im leaning toward the PS3 for a few reasons...

1. Keyboard & Mouse
2. Bluray
3. Web Browser (I hear XBOX 360 is not so good and PS3 is just like PC)

Others may be misperceptions: Dont you have to pay to get on line with XBOX?
1. It's about what you want. You can buy a 3rd party keyboard and mouse adapter for xbox. But, again, FPS and consoles are fail IMO. But if you wanna cross the line...
2. Yes, if you want to go BluRay, get an HDMI compatible TV. Sansung makes a killer LCD with every port imaginable. I've been contemplating getting a dual input switch to have the computer and xbox hooked up to the same monitor.
3. Not sure about the PS3 web browser. I bought a console because I wanted a console, not an everything box.

XBOX live: $39 a year. They hand out free trial periods like candy.
PS3-Network: Free.

Both are pretty cool, I think. Just determine what you want it to do.

HungryHippo
Dominating

Post by HungryHippo »

* If your looking at the ps3 i think there is going to be a price drop to $299
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/209 ... ly-coming/

I got the ps3 im happy with it. But i also see that 360 has some pretty kool games that ps3 doesn't. I had a 360 for a week that i bought of a friend and they are noisy systems...that drove me crazy and i sold it for the ps3.
{DAM}HungryHippo *Remember the Good Times*

kronx
Killing Spree

Post by kronx »

360!!!! it has the most exclusive games by far (that are worth owning...wii games thrown together in 5 minutes don't count) and only the older models are loud. the newest models aren't very loud.. only with certain games the disc drive gets loud but u can just hard drive install those certain games then they play as quiet as ever. Hardly any games on ps3 even support keyboard and mouse is my understanding... and there are hardly any exclusive games for ps3 worth getting anyway.. Killzone 2 is really short.. and overrated.. Resistance 2 and metal gear solid 4 are probably the only really exclusive holy shit must have games for ps3 that exist.. and for 360 there's dozens of exclusive holy shit must have games.. and blue ray is soo damn slow.. did u know all ps3 games require a hard drive install to play cuz it wud just be too freaken slow to play 100% from the disc.. and many of these installs are just as huge as a PC game install and take forever.. i thought the whole point of a console was not having to install every little thing... the hard drive installs for 360 are just optional to speed up loading times and to minimize sound which you wont really have to worry about with a newer model anyway... only for a couple games. i have about 20 games and only 1 of them was loud enough that i installed it and that was deadspace...
you can go online for free with 360 and browse the content and download lots of games from XBl live arcade which has tons of classic games as well as new games. It only costs money to play games online.. and its only like 30-50 dollars a year... amazon and toys r us were selling 13 month subscription cards for 30 bucks a few weeks ago and those deals are around all the time.. and it is such a superior service to the playstation network its worth it.. as far as online play for the wii.. its a joke..

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

welll, if you're going ps3, best buy deal of the week is buy ps3 and get killzone 2 or something

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... =39&loc=01

tape`
Dominating

Post by tape` »

none.

consoles suck :D
only time will tell

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

360 way more games, and $100 cheaper than PS3, woo hoo
No...

HungryHippo
Dominating

Post by HungryHippo »

Dubya wrote:360 way more games, and $100 cheaper than PS3, woo hoo
I hear there is going to be a price drop in april for the ps3 to $299
{DAM}HungryHippo *Remember the Good Times*

Dubya
Holy sh*t!

Post by Dubya »

yeah, PS3 is $299 and 360 is $199
No...

MLK
Dominating

Post by MLK »

Dubya wrote:yeah, PS3 is $299 and 360 is $199
The 199 xbox is not a good idea, simply because it has no harddrive. This means no demo dl's, no exclusive content, etc. The next one up (250) is the way to go.

On another note, I played Killzone 2 on an HDTV today. It looked pretty. But otherwise, meh. Unless you want slow and annoying gameplay, keep the fps's on PC!