Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

IIVIIRRIIvII
Boom! Headshot!

Re: New Rig 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by IIVIIRRIIvII »

Beltamaxx wrote:
hirschigrad06 wrote:Go into Tech Talk.
Move the thread if it's that big of a deal. Maybe into a thread concentration camp?
CTC-Salchicha wrote:Hey man, good to see you building a nice new rig. I think I might be able to do better on that cpu, hit me up on pm.

Also, a bundled PSU scares me. Do your research on the model it comes with. Lastly, please, please do a bit of reading as to the ram you might need. 8GB might be overkill for what you're doing. I had 8gb at one time and switched back to 4GB, no noticeable dif. You can save some money on those parts and get a better GPU. That is where you want the money to go. I think that I would go for a 5850/6850 or 460 1GB at least. You need a bit more GPU power to handle that bigger screen with decent eye-candy.
Hey Sal! With the RAM I was in between going the 4Gb or 8Gb route. It will probably depend on how good of a sale I can get thursday or friday. the 4Gb version is here at half the cost. I was thinking if I felt like I need more later I'll just buy another set and that would get me to 8Gb. The one thing I noticed with new egg is their bundle deals with ram+gpu always seem to be huge savings by comparison, I'll be looking out for that too this week.

Cornfed
Holy sh*t!

Post by Cornfed »

IIVIIRRIIvII wrote: Hey Sal! With the RAM I was in between going the 4Gb or 8Gb route. It will probably depend on how good of a sale I can get thursday or friday. the 4Gb version is here at half the cost. I was thinking if I felt like I need more later I'll just buy another set and that would get me to 8Gb. The one thing I noticed with new egg is their bundle deals with ram+gpu always seem to be huge savings by comparison, I'll be looking out for that too this week.
Do yourself a favor and go with an 8Gb kit now, I went 4Gb then purchased another exact 4Gb kit and had many problems getting them to play happy together, rma'd the second set, new set worked but at reduced timings. Finally sold second set and now waiting for a good deal on an 8Gb kit

IIVIIRRIIvII
Boom! Headshot!

Post by IIVIIRRIIvII »

Good point Corn, but I guess it all depends on the RAM and MOBO setup. Again, depending on what sales are going on Thur-fri will determine exactly what set I go with. But I feel more inclined to go up to 8Gb. I think I'll leave the decision up to whatever gives me bigger bang for my buck. If I can get 8Gb and trim this rig down to $1200 I'll be happy.

If you guys see any great combos going on let me know. Does anyone have an answer for my MOBO question btw? The specs say it can handle quard crossfire but how is that possible on that mobo? It looks to me like you can only go dual.

Trailboss3
Boom! Headshot!

Post by Trailboss3 »

IIVIIRRIIvII wrote:Does anyone have an answer for my MOBO question btw? The specs say it can handle quard crossfire but how is that possible on that mobo? It looks to me like you can only go dual.
Probably talking about running two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 05870%20x2

That would give you a total of four cores.

IIVIIRRIIvII
Boom! Headshot!

Post by IIVIIRRIIvII »

Hmph, thanks trailboss.

Looking for a storage drive has brought my to this: Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s. I'm reading a lot of good things on it. People are saying it's probably the fastest 7200 hard drive on the market and not just because of the SATA 3 but that it's really well made. If this thing goes on sale this week and there isn't any good deals on a SSD I might just pick this up and use it as both storage and boot until I can get a nice deal on a SSD. At that time I might consider getting an external enclosure for this drive but USB3 wouldn't even be as fast so I'd probably end up keeping my storage internal.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Samsung 24" LED 1080 for $200 and free shipping: http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/42131/2 ... cd-monitor

IIVIIRRIIvII
Boom! Headshot!

Post by IIVIIRRIIvII »

That's sold out. There was this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824236102 but I still think the Hanns is the best value.

I did see this good deal, $134.99 after codes. Problem is 5ms, no HDMI and no backlight.

IIVIIRRIIvII
Boom! Headshot!

Post by IIVIIRRIIvII »

Okay, I got some black friday deals that I might go after. 2Tb External $69.00. I can't tell if it's a door buster or an all day sale item though. I'm guessing the ones priced in green are the doorbusters and the ones in red are the weekend sale? I'm hoping that's the case at least. I talked to a manager in the store and they said the items that are 48 hour sale CAN be price matched, just not the door busters. So with that said I might just pick it up tomorrow and get it price matched after work friday. Spec page here

Also, Bestbuy is also selling a 2Tb for cheap. It's got USB3 which beats out targets however it only has 5900RPM and 32mb cache compared to the 7200rpm and 64mb cache target's WD has. In addition Bestbuy probably won't price match the hard drive if bought today even though it isn't a doorbuster. So personally I'll probably be going with the WD at target. Spec page for Best Buy's seagate deal.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Looks like Best Buy has a samsung 23" for $140. Might have to pick that up.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

IIVIIRRIIvII
Boom! Headshot!

Post by IIVIIRRIIvII »

Ghosted wrote:Looks like Best Buy has a samsung 23" for $140. Might have to pick that up.
Take a look at the stats on it before you get too excited. I never had an LCD monitor before but from what I hear 8ms on an LCD and the monitor might live up to your name, Ghosted :P. I've been reading up on the LED backlighting and it really sounds like something I should probably get. I'm keeping my eye on these three in particular to see if the prices come down:
SAMSUNG BX2331
SAMSUNG BX2431
Asus VE248H

It's odd that there weren't a lot of complaints at all on the Hann's G having LCD backlight. To those who buy a lot of components would you suggest grabbing everything Thursday and Friday or wait until cyber Monday?