Classic Vctf maps

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

CTC-Darth
Dominating

Classic Vctf maps

Post by CTC-Darth »

Whatever happened to maps like Misty Glenn, Backbone and Bedrooms? Those were classic. Seems like today we either play big manta run maps or a few very small maps like Bloodbath. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind playing those but on a big manta run map you have only 3 choices for your position. 1. Drive the manta or be on the manta wing to get the big points. 2. Hang out at base and do defense and wait. 3. Get over to the other side (which can take forever on foot) and hopefully get a few kills before you die and then repeat the entire process. It will always be a challenge for the map makers to make maps that appeal to everyone. A map than can be capped either on foot or manta is what I consider a perfect vctf map. But then again just about any map will work if you have great team work. I have seen someone cap on foot on Egyptian during a clan match ( an almost impossible feat) years ago because the team work was really good. Its just hard to get that kind of team work in the pubs.

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Re: Classic Vctf maps

Post by v0idNull »

CTC-Darth wrote:Its just hard to get that kind of team work in the pubs.
Not necessarily, especially in our server we get really good team work going, it's always the regulars that are on anyway. The community isn't expanding either. On the other hand maps like redrooms or bedrooms makes team work almost unnecessary and the communication between players is lost. That's just my opinion on the matter.
loving this clan run by morans!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Darth has a good point, and this brings me to post the question: What maps would you like to see on the server that are not? I too like those old maps, and I simply neglected to add them, as there are so many VCTF maps in general. I'm pretty sure backbone is on the server, but I don't think the other two are. I'll look for them and get them up there. Post here with any other maps you'd like to see, and a link to download them if you have it.
Thanks!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Hell, if Jim and I can get our butts in gear, we'll have about four new maps here soon. Some smaller, a mid-sizer. and a biggie. They take a while to make so hang in there.

All hail the Beef!

OmniKill

Post by OmniKill »

One fun map that I'm disappointed you're missing is 0HR-Stairwells. Was always a fun map though, it probably does have less of a teamplay element than most vctf maps.
Some other good maps that I'm not sure if you have...
0AQUANITE - amazing map, one of my faves
WingMen_XL
Eire
0HR-MagmaGoRound
0FRESHMEATS
the CS-Dust remake
the vctf port of Torlan

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Thanks for your input, Omnikill. I'll add those to the list of maps to add to the server. I may have time today to look for and add them.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

My favorite map of all time is VCTF-Arcade][Radioactive. Not a very big map as far as length and width, but has height. Lots of different lines to choose from (for running the flag). Anybody else played this map?

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Darth and OmniKill...
I've downloaded all the maps you've outlined and am putting them on the server. I hope them to be ready by tonight, as long as I have time. The only one I can't find is bedrooms (there are so many versions). And Mr Bean, yeah, I love that map too, but I can't find it either. Does anyone have links to where I can download these? Or if you have them in your maps folder, and can get them to me somehow, let me know.

Thanks!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

I can't find where to download it either. It used to be on rapidshare. I could probably email you a winrar file. It's just over 1 meg.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

I hope I did this right. I uploaded VCTF-Arcade][Radioactive here: http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/6 ... 3-rar.html

CTC-Darth
Dominating

Post by CTC-Darth »

Thanks Jim!!!!!! I used to maintain a UT2004 server and I know it requires some dedication to keep it current. I know we all appreciate your efforts.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Yes, Jim is a Master Server Keeper. It really is running great. Now, if we could get folks to play some of the CTC maps. Rock on!

All hail the Beef!

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

I liked Anexcity that wasn't too bad of a map and maybe see if we can get one were there's 3 teams going at it just for the hell of it.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Thanks for the support, guys, and thanks for the map, Mr. Bean. I didn't get a chance to upload them all to the server and now there are peeps on so I don't want to have to restart it. Given that it's usually packed until 1am, I'll have to wait to upload the new maps tomorrow morning then test them all out. Oh well... And Gambit, thanks for suggesting NextCity... I compeltely forgot to put that on! DUH!

Anybody got others they want to see?

OmniKill

Post by OmniKill »

JimRimya, the most popular version of Bedrooms that you are looking for is VCTF-WGS-Bedrooms][remix2K4.
It is the number 3 most played VCTF map according to the global stats page.