No!
25%

Total votes: 12

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

UTComp on CTC server?

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

A few people have asked about putting UTComp on the public CTC server. Vote in the poll and post your opinions here.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Re: UTComp on CTC server?

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

I have a dumb question what is UTcomp?
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

UTComp does a few things... the most notable (that apply to the public server) being:
  • Bright skins (that are actually bright)
  • Variable hit sounds (the lower the pitch of the hit sound, the more damage you've done)
  • Enhanced scoreboard
  • Enhanced netcode
Check out the private server. It is running UTComp.

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

Jimy
UTComp does a few things... the most notable (that apply to the public server) being:

* Bright skins (that are actually bright)
* Variable hit sounds (the lower the pitch of the hit sound, the more damage you've done)
* Enhanced scoreboard
* Enhanced netcode
I've always enjoyed UTComp and it's options, but, the main reason the community love it is Netcode. I play early morning in Europe (VM Server 217.163.25.21:7777) with a 160-200 ping and have no problem with "Netcode On" It enables me to enjoy the game.

Netcode registers your shot when you lag out, so you score every point you deserve.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Belta,
Can you explain what other things netcode helps out with? I've always been a little confused about that. But I feel more accurate when it is on, that's for sure.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

x-GAMBIT-x wrote:I have a dumb question what is UTcomp?
Thanks for asking Gambit, I didn't know either. :oops:

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

Jimy
Can you explain what other things netcode helps out with? I've always been a little confused about that. But I feel more accurate when it is on, that's for sure.
UTComp give you all kinds of control of your player, name, demo, screen shots and HUD, all are cool and fun, but, Netcode is the only option the affects game play. If it didn't have netcode, it might not be around anymore. Netcode only does 1 thing, it registers your shot when you lag out, so you score every point you deserve...that's enough.

The best way to understand Netcode is test it @ VM Server 217.163.25.21:7777.

Press f5
then misc
check Netcode at the bottom of the list and then play a map or 2.

After that uncheck Netcode for a map, you'll see why UTComp & Netcode are such a great utility.

Oh, one adjustment is linking the manta, I just turn off Netcode and it works great.

BONUS
Killing Spree

Post by BONUS »

I think it would not hurt to put it on.. how about test it for a week and just put on server message something like "utcomp is enabled on server....please post on forums for feedback" even adding a brief description on what the mod does on the server message can give some people an idea what it supposed to do.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

What Bonus said sounds good to me lets test it out for awhile see how it is
I also played on VM at times in the morning but sometimes its full but I
guess i never realy payed attention to what Net thing was just got on to
shoot people up or myself.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

CTC-Darth
Dominating

Post by CTC-Darth »

Trying it out for a week is not a bad idea. Some people claim it might cause some lag depending on the power of the server. If that turns out to be true we can always delete it. I will say having bright skins is cool.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

I'm for it if it helps the server. If we start experiencing crashes we should ditch it. Please post here is you are on the server and it crashes, thanks.

All hail the Beef!

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

I've played with UTComp for about 3 and half years and never have I experienced even 1 server crash. It was designed to smooth out the online experience and has succeeded in PUB servers and is the standard for pro gaming leagues & ladders.

mudpuppet
Holy sh*t!

Post by mudpuppet »

hey jim er belta _
we been running it on Kush server for month now and it seems to be crashing more . Tooky thought it was prob in combo with manta assist mut , but crashed twice since then . So he saw there was newer version , but did not come w/ the enhanced netcode . Anything you know bout that , or combining mutators , that might help . It doesn't seem to crash when any of us are on , personally , so don't really know the lead-up . He's been checking the logs but I thought you two might have insights . Love it for the long distance players and hate to shut it off . thx

Beltamaxx
Holy sh*t!

Post by Beltamaxx »

In my experience, server crashes are usually human error or provider side. I played pro ONS & VCTF for about 2 years and never experienced a crash with UTComp.

Also, when BEL was crashing everyday, it was provider side, but every server crashes once in a while.

mudpuppet which provider does Kush use? Hope it's not gameservers....NFO FTW :D .

mudpuppet
Holy sh*t!

Post by mudpuppet »

Cal.pop here in l.a. , downtown , if that's what u mean . cpanel x . Think he used that cpanel6gs er something to load . Maybe that's what yer sayin . I don't know much more spec about install .And not tech . The game crashes maybe once week at most . No biggy . Prob server side like u said . Just thought there might me mut combo flaw I could pass on to . Just got utcomp , manta assist , stunt vehicle , and one more (4) er maybe thinking anti-tcc .