VCTF Revival?

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

VCTF Revival?

Post by McShagger »

Yo, CTC dudes. Are you guys interested in joining a VCTF tournament to revive VCTF? I posted the following in XCG forums and there seems to be quite a bit of interest. My goal is to have most of this started in about 2 weeks... Maybe start the week of March 10th during the week...

So after all the new games (UT3, Crysis and COD4) have come out, it seems that most of us still like UT2004 the most. We play lots of TAM, but not very much VCTF due to there only being one or two servers out there... I would like to see some good VCTF servers join those two so we can all play again... And the following is what I think it will take...

CLAN WARS: (»XCG« -KHz- {HOG} <{CTC}>)
We need to get all these clans to get involved and try to get some scrims going... and get a tournament going. Hopefully, this activity will bring back and revive VCTF.

»XCG« Does not have many slots (only 12, but that is enough for matches) and does not have the new maps.
-KHz- There are three KHz members that I see playing in HOG, so I know they can find three more players to get involved.
{HOG} Surely has a full crew and they need to drive the activity since they run the VCTF show.
<{CTC}> They also need to bump up their roster... But they have a decent server with all the new maps.

This would be a great start. Hopefully, we can get VCTF going strong again...

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Re: VCTF Revival?

Post by McShagger »

Yo, the KHz guys say they can get a team together. Come on... you guys can get an awesome team together... I already hate playing against Salchica... If you guys dont have enough members to make a team, let me know... I have contacted other clans that have a couple members that want to play, but dont have enough to make a team... I will keep you all posted on the rules and how the event will procede later next week... Clan Wars 2008 is all about fun! UT2k4 VCTF is great fun and we all would like to see it come back. This tournament is a jump start and the competition is why many of us join clans... Again, have fun with this... it will bring a lot of unity to the VCTF community.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

McShagger,
Thanks for the post. I'm sorry for the delayed reply. I've been busy as have most other CTC members (sometimes they forget this forum is here... i worked on it so hard... sigh!)

Anyway, that sounds great! We've been kicking around the idea of scriming against XCG but yeah, we're a little short on the roster. What happens next? Where should we play? The CTC server has had most of the bugs worked out and it's in Dallas so it might be a good central location.

I'll talk to the rest of the CTC team and get their opinions. I'm sure everybody will be down with the idea. Thanks! Talk soon,
"The abyss gazes also into you"

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

I'd be down of course! If we need to add a couple extra "guns-for-hire" then so be it.

You know whats odd? I hate playing against McShag! You're too damn good bro! The weekends are harder for me to commit to but the weekdays are pretty open.

We're also working on a couple maps that should be in the rotation soon on the CTC server. It's there for people to use up!

All hail the Beef!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

I spoke to one of the guys in Kush! and I asked him if Kush! would be willing to team up with CTC... You guys know /<ronx? He is damn good and the other Kush guys arent bad either... I think you guys can be a good team... Anyway, Ive contacted about 7 or 8 clans to get this going... It should be quite a big event. I am still having trouble getting a hold of the powers that be in HOG and have not heard much from them...

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

We can always use the CTC server as well, Shag. I'd talk Kronx in a second, he pretty damn good like you say. This is starting to come together. I'll prob be on HOG later so if I run into any members there I'll let them know of our intentions. VCTF, yeah!

All hail the Beef!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Yeah, Salchicha that would be great. For this tournament, we will need the CTC server for many of the matches... So far it looks like we will have 5 teams, but I will need to get a better head count next week.

XCG - Full Team
KHz - Full Team
CTC - 3-4
Crush - 3-4
Kush - 2
RGC - 2
HOG - Likely a full team

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

McShagger,
What count defines a complete team? CTC will definitely have 4 to 5 peeps.
Should we define some maps that will be used in this tournament? Will it be like a ladder system, with the winner of 2 out of three moving up? Any thoughts from anyone else?

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Yes, absolutely... There should be a list of maps to use for the event, but I am not sure what maps... I would like some input on that. Each team will be a team of six. And I will post up all the details starting next week.

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

What do you guys think? How many maps should we limit it to? And which ones?

I suggest 6 maps. And Id like to suggest the maps have vehicles that will be used. For example, maybe the following:

ActionCity
DK-Torlan
FatJimmysRacewayLE
Lapse
SubmergedXXL
DesertCombat_V3Pro
Roadkill
IronIgloos

But not maps like Stairwells or maybe even Basically or Zoned (which are great maps, but no Manta). But this is open to discussion and I wouldnt mind having those maps included in the tournament.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Good ideas and a good set of maps. I agree about not using maps that turn out to be more CTF than VCTF. But I think we should limit the manta run maps, especially since XCG has SinJyn and Schimsfear, some of the best manta drivers around. :) But then again, I'm one of the best Avrilers so...

Here are my suggestion of how we can handle this:

Lets say we end up with four teams. I know you outlined six clans, but if a couple only have two peeps, then they will merge with others that are short on players. So we start with the playoffs. Team 1 and 2 play on one server, team 3 and 4 on another, with both rounds staring at the same time. Three maps are played (the same three on each server, in the same order), and the best out of three wins. The third map may not even be played if the same teams wins the first and second maps. The winning team of each playoff then plays in the finals. The finals would also be three different maps, and best out of three wins. The server that hosts the finals could maybe have extra spectator slots so that the losing teams my spec if they want.

The servers should be password protected and any team balancing mutator should be turned off. That way, when people join up, they can switch around and get on the correct team with out any problems. I'd also like to suggest that it be a requirement that all players have voice capability. We can use a TS or Vent server where people can meet and discuss before the playoffs start, but I think the in-game voice works well and we should use that.

Or we can just pull out nuts out and go free-for-all! But that never turns out too well.

Thoughts???

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

I like the way you describe the tourney Jim. Why muddle with TS and the like when in-game works great? Maybe we can use the reskin I did of ActionCity? It's a bit bigger but if everyone gets it from the ctc server then it will be a non-issue. We just have to make sure all players have all maps installed so we can all start the round at the same time. Hey, at least we're talking about it. Hello any other people?

All hail the Beef!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

sounds good JimR... but Im thinking we should just play the tournament on XCG and CTC servers... I will post up the details soon.

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

Jim, we need to make sure that all maps are functional and on the redirect. There have been those occasional issues as you well know. VCTF rulez!

All hail the Beef!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Do you guys have Demorec Spectator on your server? If not you need to get it. It will enable us to record each match and replay on UT2k4 and watch from any view you wish... We would like to have all matches recorded... especially the close ones... or ones that have particularly good runs...